3,452 Reviews
 (2,746)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon have listened to customers in some respects
Published on 23 Oct 2012 by Seren Ade

3.0 out of 5 stars It looks great, feels...
The cover looks great though it doesn't feel as good in my hands. Maybe I had high expectations but for £30.99, I wouldn't say it was value for money.
Published on 25 Oct 2012 by Bhavik Dhokia

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon have listened to customers in some respects, 23 Oct 2012
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This cover provides neat, close-fitting protection for your Kindle. The Kindle slots into a moulded plastic tray at the back of the case, with nothing intruding onto the device itself. A section at the bottom of the Kindle is left exposed to allow permanent access to the micro USB port. The front cover is thin and lacks additional padding, but 12 months of carrying a baby Kindle around in a case with a similar-style cover has resulted in no harm, so I'm reasonably confident in the protection this will provide.

The leather is textured and has been applied as a surface covering to both the front section of the cover and the plastic tray at the rear. The leather doesn't have the lovely, soft tactile sensation that went with Amazon's Kindle Keyboard covers but doesn't seem to mark as easily as the Amazon leather covers for the baby Kindle/Kindle Touch models (a fingernail is enough to leave a permanent scrape on those). The purple colourway I ordered is disappointing - much darker than product photos suggest.

The cover bends back easily enough for one handed reading, but the 'spine' section on the latest version of the Amazon brand cover does seem to have been reinforced, so that it doesn't flop awkwardly backwards if you prefer to hold the cover two-handed. The microfibre lining of the interior is very shallow-piled and resembles black denim.

The biggest problem I had with the last generation of Amazon cases - the lack of closing mechanism - has been addressed here, courtesy of a lightweight magnet. This works simply, engaging when you shut the cover, and requires no extra fiddling.

The cover isn't cheap, but is comparable in price to cases currently offered by Verso and Marware. The auto wake/auto switch off facility this brings to Kindle usage is what really sets the Amazon cover apart from competitors - all that's needed to wake your charged Kindle is to open the cover... It's a nice idea, but not one I'm altogether convinced by since turning a Kindle on/off by flicking a switch really isn't that onerous!

The cover is presented in a printed cardboard sleeve: if you're planning to make this (part of) a present, this is a much more attractive set-up than the simple plastic bags in which the Amazon covers for Kindle/Kindle Touch arrive.

PROS

- Cover has an inbuilt closing mechanism
- Lightweight and snug-fitting
- Textured leather doesn't mark ridiculously easily
- Includes auto wake/switch off facility

CONS

- Feels a bit hard and plastic-ey

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty title about book covers and judging, 15 Oct 2013
A piece of advice I was given was roughly along the lines of "once you've bought something you forget the price". This is quite an expensive cover when you weigh up the price of the Kindle it will be holding. However, it will either make or break the experience of using your Kindle once you have bought it. This is what I thought - why buy a premium eReader and then stick it in a sub-standard case? Having seen many of the cheaper cases, up to and including ones for around £20, the quality of this one is very apparent. As you would expect, it fits the Paperwhite perfectly, with nothing obscuring the device like the straps in each corner found on cheaper cases. This makes it much smaller and slimmer too than similar products. The materials are lovely, and the detailing of the Kindle logo inside the front cover and the clasp really give it a touch of class. Aside from looking and feeling nice, I'm sure it would protect the device very well from most accidents or the rough and tumble of being thrown in a bag etc. When using the Kindle it is unobtrusive and is equally as nice to use open as it is with the front cover folded back behind the device. My only gripe with it when folded back is that the clasp can sometime feel a bit awkward depending on where your fingers lie. The auto sleep-wake feature works really well and allows for an authentic book reading experience of picking the Kindle up, opening the cover and starting to read without having to press any buttons or choose items on screen. Same goes when you've finished, just close the cover and the Kindle goes into sleep mode automatically. Overall it is expensive, but I feel well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous - protects and looks good, 29 Dec 2012
James Miller (Durham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 0:58 Mins

The new cover seems to add as little bulk as possible to the Kindle, whilst protecting it and looking smart. The Paperwhite lighting means the bulk needed for a light in previous covers (eg the Sony) is no longer impeding easy use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, Slim, Functional but Pricey., 26 Oct 2012
I've had a few Kindles and have always bought the official cover, despite the fact that cheaper alternatives are always available, mainly because Amazon have unerringly supplied me with quality products and the official covers have usually had some form of extra functionality.

In previous covers this has been provided by the built-in lights in the cover, but this time, as the Paperwhite has its own light, the cover automatically sleeps and wakes the Kindle as you close and open the case. And I have to admit that, while it's not exactly difficult or time-consuming simply pressing the button on the Kindle, it's a little touch that adds just a little bit more joy to using the Kindle.

The cover itself is very slim, fits the Kindle perfectly and looks neat and smart sat on your desk or bedside table. The front is ever so slightly padded and the brushed metal accent of the magnetic clasp adds to the appeal and seems to keep the cover reasonably securely closed, as long as you don't wave your Kindle in the air. The texture of the leather reminds me somewhat of some old leathery library books that sat on the shelves at my school and evokes feelings of quality and learnedness.

At the end of the day it's a cover, so there's nothing to lose any sleep over, but what it does it does well and it's certainly a quality product.

Marked down by one star as it's probably a tenner too expensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars It looks great, feels..., 25 Oct 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 13 July 2014
The cover works well but makes kindle quite heavy and was hoping this kindle would be lighter.

4.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend one, 28 July 2014
The case is great for my Kindle - lightweight and does what it is supposed to but after a couple of weeks useage unfortunately the edging has started to come away - not a huge thing but when you pay 30.00 for a cover you do not expect this, I am echanging it so hopefully this will be resolved - the exchange process so far has been v easy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted less than half a year, 25 Aug 2014
After about 5 months of careful use (I mostly read at home and rarely travel with Kindle) the side of the cover where the magnetic clasp is started fraying and coming loose. Now it needs almost constant gluing to stay in place and needless to say does not look too good.
For the money this is terrible quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars So pretty! It has a lovely texture also, 14 Dec 2014
So pretty! It has a lovely texture also, a nice Matt leather.

It's very easy to fit onto my kindle.

The magnetic clasp works well and my kindle always wakes up/goes to sleep when I open/close it.

The colour is exactly per the picture.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 Jun 2014
I was a little upset. My children bought me this Kindle to help me. I have arthritis in my fingers and I put the kindle in my pencil case and carried it around for a week but wanted to keep it safe so ordered a leather case. I was horrified that it was so heavy that I am now back to carrying my book in my bag which has turned out to be lighter than the Kindle in a case! Also, the very next day after I had ordered the case from Amazon there was exactly the same product in my local Sainsbury's for half the price! ugh! So, I then felt double disappointment. In fact, not even half price, I think it was £15 rather than £40 !!! The story of my life at the moment