4,088 Reviews
 (3,282)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon have listened to customers in some respects
Published on 23 Oct. 2012 by Seren Ade

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing
Two stars might be a bit harsh, but then I remembered it cost £30, which I don't feel is really value for money. Cover does look good, but had it less than a month and already the edges are frayed and coming away, and the magnetic doesn't always have the strength to hold the cover shut. These would be relatively minor niggles were it not for the price I paid.
Published 22 months ago by Mark Bree

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon have listened to customers in some respects, 23 Oct. 2012
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This cover provides neat, close-fitting protection for your Kindle. The Kindle slots into a moulded plastic tray at the back of the case, with nothing intruding onto the device itself. A section at the bottom of the Kindle is left exposed to allow permanent access to the micro USB port. The front cover is thin and lacks additional padding, but 12 months of carrying a baby Kindle around in a case with a similar-style cover has resulted in no harm, so I'm reasonably confident in the protection this will provide.

The leather is textured and has been applied as a surface covering to both the front section of the cover and the plastic tray at the rear. The leather doesn't have the lovely, soft tactile sensation that went with Amazon's Kindle Keyboard covers but doesn't seem to mark as easily as the Amazon leather covers for the baby Kindle/Kindle Touch models (a fingernail is enough to leave a permanent scrape on those). The purple colourway I ordered is disappointing - much darker than product photos suggest.

The cover bends back easily enough for one handed reading, but the 'spine' section on the latest version of the Amazon brand cover does seem to have been reinforced, so that it doesn't flop awkwardly backwards if you prefer to hold the cover two-handed. The microfibre lining of the interior is very shallow-piled and resembles black denim.

The biggest problem I had with the last generation of Amazon cases - the lack of closing mechanism - has been addressed here, courtesy of a lightweight magnet. This works simply, engaging when you shut the cover, and requires no extra fiddling.

The cover isn't cheap, but is comparable in price to cases currently offered by Verso and Marware. The auto wake/auto switch off facility this brings to Kindle usage is what really sets the Amazon cover apart from competitors - all that's needed to wake your charged Kindle is to open the cover... It's a nice idea, but not one I'm altogether convinced by since turning a Kindle on/off by flicking a switch really isn't that onerous!

The cover is presented in a printed cardboard sleeve: if you're planning to make this (part of) a present, this is a much more attractive set-up than the simple plastic bags in which the Amazon covers for Kindle/Kindle Touch arrive.

PROS

- Cover has an inbuilt closing mechanism
- Lightweight and snug-fitting
- Textured leather doesn't mark ridiculously easily
- Includes auto wake/switch off facility

CONS

- Feels a bit hard and plastic-ey

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but you get what you pay for, 14 Nov. 2012
The Paperwhite Kindle fits snugly inside the case, not too tightly but tight enough for it not to fall out. The front and back is a leather-type material which looks and feels very nice. The front is not thick enough to prevent it bending in onto the screen if you press hard against it or drop something heavy on it, but it's most definitely strong enough to resist scratches or light bumps, say sat in a rucksack rattling around. There is a rubber strip running around the outside so the Kindle is completely encased.

The lock mechanism works pretty well. It doesn't seem all that secure but if you hold it upside down by the sides, the front stays put thanks to the magnetic clasp. What I still think is neat is the switching on and off as you open and close the case. I have not used the Kindle long enough but I am sure this only helps extend the battery life when not in use.

The front cover flips over like the front cover of a magazine. It's easy to hold with one hand, with the cover flipped back on itself, or with the cover half-open. Either works well.

It's over-priced in my opinion for what it is but I'm glad I bought it and recommend it if you're looking for a decent case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty title about book covers and judging, 15 Oct. 2013
A piece of advice I was given was roughly along the lines of "once you've bought something you forget the price". This is quite an expensive cover when you weigh up the price of the Kindle it will be holding. However, it will either make or break the experience of using your Kindle once you have bought it. This is what I thought - why buy a premium eReader and then stick it in a sub-standard case? Having seen many of the cheaper cases, up to and including ones for around £20, the quality of this one is very apparent. As you would expect, it fits the Paperwhite perfectly, with nothing obscuring the device like the straps in each corner found on cheaper cases. This makes it much smaller and slimmer too than similar products. The materials are lovely, and the detailing of the Kindle logo inside the front cover and the clasp really give it a touch of class. Aside from looking and feeling nice, I'm sure it would protect the device very well from most accidents or the rough and tumble of being thrown in a bag etc. When using the Kindle it is unobtrusive and is equally as nice to use open as it is with the front cover folded back behind the device. My only gripe with it when folded back is that the clasp can sometime feel a bit awkward depending on where your fingers lie. The auto sleep-wake feature works really well and allows for an authentic book reading experience of picking the Kindle up, opening the cover and starting to read without having to press any buttons or choose items on screen. Same goes when you've finished, just close the cover and the Kindle goes into sleep mode automatically. Overall it is expensive, but I feel well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cover, shame about the colour representation, 6 Mar. 2013
Having upgraded from Kindle to Kindle paperwhite, I thought it would be wise to protect my new product.I like to look after my 'stuff'. I must say that when my package arrived early and in great shape, I was disappointed with the colour of my Case. (Electric purple)It's actually quite a dark,dull purple. I thought that the wrong one had been sent. However, I know it does the same job so I have kept it. Wish I had ordered the fuschia one. Just beware if colour is important to you. Otherwise all is fab and I am really enjoying my new paperwhite...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous - protects and looks good, 29 Dec. 2012
James Miller (Durham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 0:58 Mins

The new cover seems to add as little bulk as possible to the Kindle, whilst protecting it and looking smart. The Paperwhite lighting means the bulk needed for a light in previous covers (eg the Sony) is no longer impeding easy use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, a bit heavy and bulky, 30 May 2014
I bought this together with the Kindle as a gift to a friend. I'm reviewing it as I had a chance to have a thorough look at it once he opened the gift. The quality fo the materials (leather, plastic, chrome and magnets) is top notch. You can feel this is THE orginal case for the Paperwhite, just as the Smartcase is THE original case for the iPad. It fits perfectly around the device and will protect it against most accidental damages. The quality fo the magnetic latch is also very good which compares favourably to other cases I've been looking at.
That said, it is on the heavier and bulkier side of its peers. I personally like holding my Kindle with one hand and could see myself getting tired after a while. With the cover the Kindle becomes more the form factor of a small filofax or paperback book rather than a 7" tablet.
But ultimately I give it 4 stars because the price is excessive in my view. it costs 1/3 of what the device costs which I think its just too much.
I ultimately bought another case for my Paperwhite (the Inateck Compact Kindle Paperwhite Cover) but my friend is quite happy with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars No issues, just a great addition to your new Kindle Paperwhite!, 8 Jan. 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First of all, I was a bit worried about the issue some users reported and complained about - that the cover makes the Kindle Paperwhite (this is the cover specifically designed for a paperwhite and won't fit other Kindles) turn on by itself and therefore the battery is always unexpectedly low. I have no such issues, after using the new Kindle Paperwhite inside the ink blue cover for almost a month. The cover looks lush and sleek and modern and minimalist. I like that there are absolutely no extra features (no light, as Kindle Paperwhite comes with the glowing screen, if you wish for it to glow).

The cover bends back easy so you can hold your Kindle by one hand, yet the spine seem to be protected so that it doesn't just hang loose backwards. The microfiber lining of the interior has "Kindle" embossed on it.

Yes, the cover is quite pricey, but it just looks so much better than any other covers available to purchase. My friend has a lime green cover which also looks fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive But Worth It, 12 Feb. 2014
Ra Airey - See all my reviews
First things first, I bought this because I had a 20% off voucher for it from Amazon.

I bought it to replace a shoddily made cover that I got on eBay for £4. The amazon cover is in another league when put next to the eBay covers. For one it's real leather which is very hard-wearing but it also looks 'quality', the fit is perfect and the cover feels good in the hand. It's hard to explain until you pick one up or see one but the cover just feels 'proper', which in my eyes is worth it to protect £110 of electronics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, Slim, Functional but Pricey., 26 Oct. 2012
I've had a few Kindles and have always bought the official cover, despite the fact that cheaper alternatives are always available, mainly because Amazon have unerringly supplied me with quality products and the official covers have usually had some form of extra functionality.

In previous covers this has been provided by the built-in lights in the cover, but this time, as the Paperwhite has its own light, the cover automatically sleeps and wakes the Kindle as you close and open the case. And I have to admit that, while it's not exactly difficult or time-consuming simply pressing the button on the Kindle, it's a little touch that adds just a little bit more joy to using the Kindle.

The cover itself is very slim, fits the Kindle perfectly and looks neat and smart sat on your desk or bedside table. The front is ever so slightly padded and the brushed metal accent of the magnetic clasp adds to the appeal and seems to keep the cover reasonably securely closed, as long as you don't wave your Kindle in the air. The texture of the leather reminds me somewhat of some old leathery library books that sat on the shelves at my school and evokes feelings of quality and learnedness.

At the end of the day it's a cover, so there's nothing to lose any sleep over, but what it does it does well and it's certainly a quality product.

Marked down by one star as it's probably a tenner too expensive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 30 July 2013