5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stuff
Not knowing anything about the life of a diplomat, I only read this after a friend recommended I should. And I'm glad I did!
Great stories from all around the world - even some saucy bits!!
Fab Father's Day present, or anytime for anyone who wants to be amused, entertained and educated in easy bite-sized chunks!
I have now passed it to my 13 year old son...
Published on 12 Jun. 2012 by olliesmum

3.0 out of 5 stars So So
I was really enjoying this book up to the last couple of chapters when it seemed to suddenly turn into a bit of a sour grapes rant, that made me not want to finish the book, however I did but it did spoil my enjoyment of what had been a good read.I even recognised a childhood aquaintance of mine in one of the chapters which was a pleasant surprise.
Published on 28 Feb. 2013 by Annette East

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stuff, 12 Jun. 2012
Great stories from all around the world - even some saucy bits!!
I have now passed it to my 13 year old son who is also enjoying the travels.
And a great advert for a career in the Foreign Office!

5.0 out of 5 stars "An honest man, sent abroad to lie for his country", 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Diplomatic Anecdotage: Around the World in 40 Years (Kindle Edition)
The tales from around the world, from behind the Iron Curtain, the Far East and Australasia and closer to home are fascinating to read. Having heard the author on Radio 4 and with knowledge of previous lectures I embarked upon this book with eager anticipation and was not disappointed. For anyone wanting an insight into the workings on Government and diplomacy, this is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Foreign frolics, 12 Jun. 2012
I have to admit that I didn't immediately think I would like this, and I was right... I loved it!
Great story telling about things that I have read about in the news and now know just a little bit more about. The life of one of Her Majesty's diplomatic envoys is way different from what I imagined, and the pages turned like a compulsive novel.
Definitely worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 12 Mar. 2013
A fascinating recall of a diplomatic life, shared by his wife and lived in different parts of the world. Very readable.

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, 28 Feb. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable mainly, 13 Jan. 2013
Interesting take on some historical events. Often becomes alist of people met and nary a bad word about ex-colleagues. Would like to have met and had adrink with this bloke when I was travelling, but the book reinforcedd my feeling that FCO and ambasadors have noting to do with ordinary'citizens in trouble'.

5.0 out of 5 stars wish I'd been a diplomat, 7 Jan. 2013
Well written in English as it should be written although I did need my dictionary once or twice. An interesting thoroughly good read which also gives an insight to some unexpected characters in various governments.

3.0 out of 5 stars Got to be diplomatic about this book, 13 Jan. 2013
I'm afraid this book is proving a disappointment . It's a worthy, 'for the record' run through the author's career, but for me goes into far too much arcane diplomatic detail . I've got about half way through , but I'm unlikely to last the course.

I think the problem lies in the title. Having been spoilt by such a lot of excellent published travel 'anecdotage' over the last two decades, I'd expected this to be in the same arena, with lots of rich local detail about the countries, their peoples and their cultures.

So ...... probably a good intro if you're pondering a lifelong career in Whitehall and its 'colonies' , but not a light or engaging read for the Tube . You get what you pay for I suppose .

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Read, 20 Mar. 2014
A fascinating insight into the hidden world of diplomacy. Although at times a little heavy on names and details, I found the book both informative and entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read but a little too much at times, 28 May 2013
I got this book on a Kindle offer and l am glad l did. It was a good read, interesting and l particularly enjoyed the stories such as the author time in Bulgaria and Sydney. I did find the read at times a little deep getting lost in detail which encouraged me to skip quite a few pages. On reflection l enjoyed the read and don't feel l lost anything by skipping a few pages.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›