on 23 November 2013
It is an amazing book. I like how it changes from them chasing Ajax to joining the legion. It really surprised me at the end i wont give it away but its a huge surprise. Altogether really great.
on 9 November 2013
While based on history it's a fairly light hearted read throughout the series and hard to put down!
Of course there is the odd graphic detail of blood & guts but all good fun! lol
on 9 November 2012
This book and the whole series of books about Macro and Cato are both an exellent and exciting voyage into the lives of the Roman army as each book finishes you want to start the next one to find out how their adventures procedes. They are well written with a fine attention to detail that will keep you enthralled, would fully recomend them not only for men but also for women as my wife also likes them and has read the whole series and cannot wait for the next book in the series to be published. I purchased this and the series from Amazon.co.uk by receiving books and e- books.
on 3 November 2013
The story line is fine in fiction as well in our normal mental life. to put it shortly it is the drive which matters. It makes no difference whether it is love or hate.
on 16 November 2013
Enjoyed it.In good condition.Several members of family read it. Was on time. Will now pass it on to friends. Amazon always good and reliable in my experience.
on 28 September 2013
Book No 10 can't wait to start number 11. Great story.
Recommend this series to anyone with an interest in Roman fiction. Would make a great TV series.
on 14 April 2015
I'm afraid this will be my last Cato and Macro book.
They were what got me into the Roman period for historical fiction, but, for me, have not moved forward. Each one is basically the same story in a different setting. The main characters still have the same annoying weaknesses they had in the first book, having not, apparently, learnt anything along the way. The other characters come and go, but don't seem to develop.
For me, there are other 'Roman' novels and series which now hold more appeal.
on 30 November 2013
an absolute must read if you are a fan of the macro and cato novels, couldn't put it down and read it over the course of four evenings.
on 12 December 2012
Before I chanced on one of Simon Scarrow's Cato & Macro stories (obtained as a 'remaindered' special offer in a local market) I had little knowledge - or intrerest - in this period of history ; but his whole series (this the tenth) have given me a great insight into that period, the workings of the Legions, and the political intrigues behind the day to day life of the Roman soldiers. Readable, believable and not over-romanticised. Welkl worth getting the whole series.
on 28 November 2013
Fantastic read as usual I can't seem to get enough of Macro & Cato. Highly recommended read for all those interested in history