on 27 December 2013
This lamp looks very nice when it decides to work properly. We have tried three times now too get this right and the jellyfish start to go around the lamp then just stay at the top stuck together. So it does look very pretty and nice to watch when works properly but its extremely tricky too get it too stay working. Nice, pretty product but stops working all the time. Takes batteries not a plug in. Good price.
on 28 December 2012
I saw a larger version of one of these in a local pub, it really was mesmerizing and I knew I wanted one. The movement of the jellyfish seems fairly authentic as the tentacles wave within the current - maybe not so authentic to warrant the sign explaining that they are not real - I digress. I was happy when I unwrapped one of these at Christmas to add to my bedroom ambient mood lighting collection.

The motor that pumps the water and causes the movement is absolutely silent and so the only factor drawing your attention to it is the elegance of the silicone jellies dancing within the uplighting of three LEDs; red, green and blue.

The silicone jellyfish are translucent and catch the LED light throughout to give the appearance that they are emitting the light, reaching all the way to the very tip of the tentacles. The light of the individual LEDs on the jellies causes an ever changing colour mix across the spectrum and as they move the mix is constantly changing. Each jelly can give the appearance of having several colours perfectly fading together at any moment. The water itself does not catch the light, which is a good thing as it gives more to the effect of them emanating the light, which in turn refracts to very subtly light up any nearby object with a wash effect. It really is subtle.

Important to note that if there is any air within the water it will not work properly, so you need to fill the tank to the very top and hold the jellyfish by the tentacles when you put them into the tank, using a chopstick or similar to push them down and shake free any air trapped within their shape or on their surface. Then just top up until brimming and push the little plastic cap into place. A tiny bit of water will spill out but this is needed to get all the air out.

Initially I found that there was too much air clinging to them and many air bubbles covering the inside of the tank, all of which caused them to float to the top and get stuck. I emptied it, gave it a clean out with boiled and cooled water - less impurities for the air to cling to - and refilled it with more boiled water. I soaked the jellyfish in boiled/cooled water for about half hour so they could take up some of the water and added them back. Without the air they move throughout the tank within the invisible current.

In terms of battery life the LEDs of course take very little energy, however I suspect due to the motor I have had to replace the 3 x AA batteries already and am on my second set in 4 days, but I guess running it for 8 hours a day would do that. Will be buying rechargeable batteries and recommend the same to you. It doesn't accept a mains adapter so batteries are the only choice.

Mine was apparently bought in-store but it is exactly the same make, model and boxed the same, and the dimensions on the listing match the one sitting on my desk.

The picture on this listing and on the box really do not do it justice as they are low resolution and make the water look murky. With boiled/distilled water and the plastic tank kept clean they do look really sharp!

Recommended!
22 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2015
It took me some time to figure out how to get it work properly. Once you get it working, it is rather amusing to watch.
1. you need to boil the water to get rid of most of the air in it.
2. pour the water after you put the jellyfish to reduce the air bubble within the jellyfish.
3. pour the water in it until there is NO air. Otherwise the jellyfish will catch the air when it travels to the top and never comes down.
4. enjoy it.

note: if there is small bubbles sticking on the jellyfish, use a chopstick or something similar to share off the bubble.
review image
on 4 January 2014
Expensive rubbish! Leaked water after less than 24 hours usage! Suggest you do not purchase this item as you will be very disappointed!
on 5 September 2014
It was a design fault to place the batteries underneath, as any spillage soaks through the casing and corrodes the batteries. A pity really, as it is very pretty and when it was working I enjoyed watching the lifelike motions of the jellyfish.
on 8 February 2015
This tank is superb. Once I got rid of the air bubbles from the jellyfish and tank they swim around very realistically and it is a very soothing and beautiful item. However I think the instructions were inadequate and I had to search online for methods to rid the tank and jellyfish of air bubbles.(The tank does not work properly if there are too many air bubbles).I persisted and was rewarded and the jellyfish have been swimming on and off gracefully for a week now.
on 26 September 2015
Super changing colours & never get tired of looking at the two jellyfish who seem to be playing with each other. Family & friends all enjoy watching them, & we have purchased two more as presents, as Amazon sell them cheaper than the one we first purchased, so saved £10 on the two plus a further few £s for the postage which was another £4-99 each. They really are very attractive, & well worth getting for they are admired by all who have seen ours.
on 21 April 2014
Mini jelly light the three batterys in this product don't last very long at all I also got a mini volcano lamp at argos and they dident last either so_TIP_I made it work on electric/ usb that is 5 volts now its like new batterys that don't run out its great and quite simple to do.
on 3 May 2014
We had some difficulty setting this up as the jelly fish kept getting stuck at the top. It sorted itself after a short period of time and now works well. My son is a highly strung teen and finds this calming to watch at night before sleep. It's smaller than we expected.
on 7 January 2016
Easy to set up and quite pleasant to watch, and of course nowhere near as difficult to look after as real jellyfish!
One has to get ALL bubbles out of the water or it won't work properly. Any tiny bubbles that remain will dissipate over time.