Format: DVD|Change

on 3 September 2001
In this first Elvis movie, we see our hero as a young western farmer, too young to have joined his older brothers fighting in the American Civil War. He and his family believe the eldest brother, Vance, to have been killed a while ago, and Clint (Elvis) falls in love with Cathy, Vance's fiancee. They eventually marry, and then the fun starts, as all 3 older brothers suddenly return home from the now ended war. Vance of course still thinks that Cathy is waiting for him to return so they can marry. A fairly bland, yet pleasant story line, acted well by all involved, including young Elvis, who still has blonde hair at this stage of his career. The descision to add 3 further songs to the title theme is a bit of a mistake in my opinion, as these songs do not fit well into the storyline. But it's nice to see Elvis performing them I suppose. Trivia Fact: Elvis's mother, Gladys, was so upset by the original ending of the film (where Clint dies) that the studio called the actors back and made them shoot an extra scene. This had Elvis, superimposed over the graveyard scence, singing an extra verse of Love Me Tender. A good film, showing us that Elvis Presley was more than just a singer. Without a single acting lesson, he does an admirable job as Clint Reno. Well worth watching even if you aren't a diehard Elvis fan.
on 11 June 2013
I ordered this expecting the film "Love me Tender" but it's just a compilation of songs from different concerts - my mistake as I didn't check the packaging carefully enough. It's ok, but not as good as the film - much of the content is on other dvds, and many Elvis fans will already have much of it. I should have checked the back of the box first Elvis Presley: Love Me Tender [DVD], but assumed, since I was looking in "Film & TV" that it would be the feature film.
on 25 May 2014
An interesting first film for Elvis. He plays a young farmer at the time
of the American Civil War, who marries his brother's girl-friend because
the brother is reported as having died in action.
Unfortunately for all concerned, the brother was not killed, and when he
returns home, he is devastated to find that his girl-friend is now married to
his brother.
Elvis tries hard to be a film actor, but shows traces of his inexperience. He
sings a few songs of which "Love me Tender" is the sweetest, and the most
well-known. This film makes you want to see more of Elvis as an actor -
which happens later in "King Creole" - perhaps his best role in films.
on 13 March 2016
VIDEO:

Love Me Tender arrives on blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 2.35:1 encode. The entire transfer is pristine with no specks, dust or scratches, that were present in the previously released DVD version. It also features superb sharpness, and a grayscale that’s magnificently rendered with strong black levels and pure whites. Contrast has been dialed in perfectly for a reference quality black and white transfer. (5/5)

AUDIO:

Love Me Tender features DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, which is an improvement over previous Dolby Stereo track. The most noticeable area is the four songs sung by Elvis in this movie: Love Me Tender, Poor Boy, Let Me and We’re Gonna Move. His voice is front and centre, warm, detailed with a wider front soundstage. Just to hear our King sing with DTS lossless track alone is worth the price of admission. There is minimal surround activity. Dialogue has been wonderfully recorded and is outstandingly presented with no age-related artifacts like hiss, crackles, pops, and flutter to mar the listening experience. Sound effects and music never overpower the dialogue. (4.5/5)

TRIVIA:

1 The original title of Love Me Tender was The Reno Brothers.
2 The original closing sequence did not feature a vignette of Clint Reno (Elvis) singing Love Me Tender after his burial. It was revised after the reaction at a sneak preview.
3 The title song was based on Aura Lee, a ballad written in 1861 by W.W. Fosdick and George R. Poulton. It was popular with the Union Army during the Civil War.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Being a big fan of Elvis, I have 100 Elvis CDs in my collection, plus every of his movies on DVDs. This was Elvis’ first movie debut. He was billed after the young and handsome Richard Egan and beautiful Debra Paget, but it really does not matter. Like most people, I bought this movie mainly to see our King Elvis. This is the third high definition movie release for Elvis, behind Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas. I hope more HD movies of Elvis are released in the future, especially G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii. Finally, with a newly remastered pristine black and white transfer, and crystal clear warm singing voice by Elvis, this blu ray set is highly recommended.
on 26 September 2010
A must have DVD if you are interested in the first film starring Elvis Presley. A little bit amateurish in the acting but apart from that just an easy watchable film especially if you are an Elvis Presley fan - songs quite good with a clasic version of "Love me tender"
on 14 October 2010
ANY ELVIS FAN NEEDS TO SEE THIS AND REALISE WHAT ACTING PORENTIAL HE HAD X
on 24 August 2009
I bought this thinking it was the DVD of the film 'Love Me Tender' for my husband as he is a big fan. What it actually is is a load of different songs. That's fine but it's not what I wanted.
on 2 December 2009
I too ordered this thinking it to be the film of the same name, when it turned out to be a bunch of songs. Be warned, i'll know better next time. It also took an age to come too.
on 3 July 2014
Why import a Region A (U.S.A.) Blu-Ray of "Love Me Tender" into the U.K. & not release a Region 2 (Europe/U.K.) Blu-Ray, as all Region A Blu-Rays won't play on U.K. players.
I would love to see a Blu-Ray remastered version of Elvis's 1st movie but won't be able too, as I don't have an American Blu-Ray player, as I'm from 7 living in the U.K.
A good movie for his first attempt (hence the 3 stars) but the next 3 were his best.
So come on whoever is releasing this Blu-Ray, do us all a favour & release it on Blu-Ray in the U.K.
on 12 February 2014
What can I say it is what it is a DVD of an Elvis film. The film quality was good and the price reasonable.