5.0 out of 5 stars Express Yourself
Published on 13 Sept. 2012 by Alien937

3.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly on Android. Ironically however often have huge ...
Works perfectly on Android. Ironically however often have huge problems trying to stream from OSX Mavericks, constant refusal to connect.
Published 9 months ago by Adam Gibbins

5.0 out of 5 stars Express Yourself, 13 Sept. 2012
Alien937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
The previous generation of this device was a unit that plugged directly into a mains socket. Personally, I prefer this redesign. The former generation was awkward to use if you had mains sockets close to the floor, and it tipped over irritatingly when used with an extension lead. It also helps that I won't be using the new Express as a portable device (some people baulk at carrying around yet another power lead).

The AirPort Express is now exactly the same shape and size as an Apple TV. A second (non-Gigabit) Ethernet port and simultaneous dual band have been added, and the maximum number of simultaneous users has been upped from 10 to 50. These changes make the new AirPort Express a much more capable wireless router in its own right.

But what continues to make the Express unique is its ability to AirPlay music from iTunes - or any audio from a Mac running OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" or later - via analogue. The Apple TV can also stream audio but only via a digital optical output, meaning you'd have to fork out for a DAC if your speakers only have an analogue input. In addition, the Apple TV resamples audio from the CD standard of 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz. Many people won't find the difference noticeable, but others will, especially if they're streaming high-quality lossless audio.

I've connected my Express to a Powerline adapter, set it to bridge mode, and I'm using it to create a new dual band network on the second floor, where my original wireless router's signal is patchy. This way, I've got a much better wireless network on the second floor, a free Ethernet port on the Express for connecting a wired device, a flawless AirPlay connection to my hi-fi, and a USB port for connecting a printer if I should wish. It's worth the price for the AirPlay alone.

(WORD OF WARNING: The wireless side of the Express has three modes: "Create a wireless network", "Join a wireless network" and "Extend a wireless network". The last of these will only work with a wireless signal emitted by another Apple product (i.e. an AirPort Express, an AirPort Extreme or a Time Capsule). This limiting of functionality to the same brand is poor play by Apple, and isn't made very clear in the company's marketing of the Express.)

5.0 out of 5 stars NETWORKING MADE EASY, 16 May 2011
I realise that many people will want to know technical details about this item but im not going to be giving that sort of review, as after 12 years of configuring windows networks and being utterly fed up with trying to keep it configured every time windows does an UPDATE or WIPEOUT as I like to call it.

The simple thing with apple is that it does not require you to know as much about code and programming as the people who design the hardware do. I wanted the following:

1: to extend my wireless network without it falling over every other week
2: to share a printer with my network at home which has 3 pc's on it (HP wireless printer)
3: share my Itunes sounds around my house and garden
4: be able to share my hard drive on my network

I ordered several of these little white beauties and can honestly say that I had them up and running within 10 minutes each using the airport utility which is perfectly simple to use.

I am now able to listen to my itunes music and internet radio in each of the 6 rooms and the garden. I share my printer with the 3 pc's and my iphone and have a perfect 100% coverage on my wifi.

I have read some reviews that mention that the express can fall off the network, but I have never had this happen to me in 4 months of owning them.

That said, if you really just want a wifi extender these will work just fine also.

4.0 out of 5 stars indispensible for traveling Mac heads, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
I've used earlier models of the Express and found them to be easy to set up and nearly trouble-free in operation. The current design is a slightly different but effectively the same. In hotels or flats or wherever you have wired broadband, connect it via an ethernet cable (I always travel with one) and bang, you've got wireless access; the Express remembers your prior settings & password,

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing features - better than the previous model, 3 Nov. 2012
A. Page (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
First off, although I liked the convenience and compactness of the previous models' integrated plug approach, the additional features of this new model more than make up for that.

I am using this in conjunction with an Apple AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS) to extend my wireless networks via gigabit ethernet. This model is much better suited to this task than the previous model, as it has gigabit LAN and WAN ports for different configurations. The AEBS has supported dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi for a couple of years, and the previous AirPort Express model was single band only, so this new model allows me to extend both networks perfectly.

For anyone new to Apple wifi hardware and its configuration, this is a doddle to setup. If you have a Mac or iOS device, the setup utility is built-in. I have Windows desktops and iOS devices, so I can use either - for Windows, you will need to download the Apple AirPort Utility software for Windows from their website.

For first time configuration, simply plug the device into the power and it creates its own network to use for configuration. Discovery is all handled using Apple's Bonjour protocol which (if you aren't aware) means you don't need to do anything fiddly to find the new device. If you have wireless devices (such as a Mac or iOS device, or Windows PC with a wireless adaptor) the AirPort Utility software will see the new device and provide a wizard for configuration. In iOS, go to the wifi settings and it will appear as a separate network - tap the new network to configure the device.

One tip - before first time configuration, physically connect the device the way it will be when it's in your network. Mine extends my wifi via ethernet, but I initially didn't connect the ethernet, thinking I'd set it up wirelessly first, then connect the ethernet afterwards. The configuration wizard will offer options available based only on the current configuration, so as I wanted to bridge my network with my AEBS via ethernet, that option wasn't available because I haven't plugged the cable in yet. Connect everything up first, and the configuration wizard should get everything right within about 30 seconds.

This makes it hands down the easiest piece of network hardware to configure in my experience, and I've used (mainly) Netgear hardware which is pretty simple, among others like D-Link. By way of a last word on configuration, it's very simple to keep an eye on your network via an iPad (or iPhone etc.) using the AirPort Utility for iOS (free download from the App Store). The app provides a network topography with red/amber/green status lights, and all the configuration options are just a tap away. It's a pleasure to administer - which I realise sounds quite sad.

As for performance - awesome. I've used this to create and extend a hidden 5 GHz wifi network, which works with the iPhone 5 and iPads 3 and 4 (and probably lots of other devices) - it screams! The original 2.4 GHz network is also still available for other devices, and I'm not saying there aren't other devices that won't perform equally well - Asus have some excellent products at the top of their range - but with Apple there's one choice for a router and one choice for a WAP, and they're both amazing. You get what you pay for ultimately.

I'd highly recommend this product to anyone with iOS devices or a Mac. If, like me, you have Windows desktops, it's still the easiest networking hardware to configure if you're not technical. iTunes and the AirPort utility for Windows both support the Bonjour protocol, so you don't have to fiddle with anything. This product works particularly well when paired with Apple's AirPort Extreme base station, so if you are considering upgrading or replacing your entire network, I would urge you to consider starting with one of those - which already provides one of the best signal strength, speed and range aerials on the market - and extend it with one of these if necessary.

I can't comment on how this product works with other (non-Apple) routers and network hardware, but ultimately they're all doing the same thing, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. There are advanced options if you want to get into the nitty gritty of networking. Oh - this product DOES NOT support WPS for one-button network configuration. I think Apple omitted this on security grounds - you can read about WPS on WikiPedia, and if you want ease of configuration, I would recommend this product over a WPS-enabled one if you're bothered about security. Turn off WPS on your non-Apple networking products and get some help configuring your network if necessary. That's just my opinion, but WPS appears to be insecure and unnecessary when you see how easy this product and an AEBS are to configure.

Finally, if you would like to keep this product out of the way and tidy, like the previous model, I believe somewhere on Amazon there's a bracket for an Apple TV (which has the same dimensions as this product) which is inexpensive and can be bolted to a wall etc. to keep it out of the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for steaming iTunes, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
I have an AirPort Express connected to a BT HomeHub 4 via Powerline adaptors which streams my iTunes either from my Windows 7 desktop or MacBook Air. Not surprisingly it seems to work better with the Air than Windows as I often have to restart it before it will connect to the Windows 7 computer. At the moment I'm not sure whether it's the AirPort, the Powerline connection, iTunes or the HomeHub causing the issue as it seems to time out and drop connection when not in use. Unless it becomes a major issue I'm not inclined to try and find out since restarting the Airport Express always sorts it out.

Setting up is easy, attach an Ethernet cable to the network port and in my case the Powerline adaptor, a stereo mini-jack to phono to your amplifier and switch on. I used an iPad app to set up the mode as it can extend your Apple network or act as a stand alone access point, I chose the latter. If you have a Mac that has the app already built in. Once it's up and running open your iTunes and you should see a little rectangle with a triangle pointing upwards next to the volume slider. This allows you to choose whether to use your computers speakers, the Airport Express or both. If it doesn't appear you need to restart the Airport Express. If it still doesn't appear then you need to check the network connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Apple product, 6 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
Over the past few weeks I noticed a couple of dead wi-fi spots in my back garden, and now the summer is here (allegedly) and we sit out in those spots I thought I would try and extend the range of my existing Apple Time Capsule wi-fi network, so I had no hesitation in getting am Airport Express from Amazon

The Airport Express dully arrived and being a apple user I just unpacked it and plugged it in as I am used to Apple stuff just working out of the box, and it did, as soon as it went through its own set up routine, by this I mean the light on the device first flashed Amber, the went solid Amber an finally Solid Green, this green light told me it had set itself up internally,

I had Airport utility running on my Mac it immediately recognised the new device and offered to add it to my existing network to extend it, I accepted that and it went off and set it up it took about 2 minutes, and it worked perfectly.I went out side and the dead spots were now showing a solid signal

I mounted the Airport Express on a Wall in my office overlooking the garden using a "out of sight bracket " purchased with the Apple Airport Express from Amazon, I have posted a picture to show how I fixed it, like all Apple stuff it is real quality and so easy to set up

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
Works great. Slight gripe is that I had to connect to my home hub via Ethernet cable (additional cost for power plugs). Wont allow wireless connection. As per other reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy me, 22 July 2014
Up and running in 5 minutes from opening the box to watching Netflix
Sits within 3 metres of my Apple TV, Sony TV and Sony blu-Ray all of which are wifi enabled. Speed is great - no dropouts now that I had even using home plugs and cables
It just works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for extending an AirPort network, 18 Jan. 2014
Hawfinch - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
I have an AirPort Extreme in my home and I wanted to be able to join its network when I'm in the house next door. Unfortunately, the signal reaching my iMac next door never exceeded 20% strength (measured using the NetSpot utility) and was often a lot less, making it impossible to maintain a reliable connection to the network.

Placing an AirPort Express in the same room as my iMac has more than tripled the signal strength and effectively solved the problem. There are no cables involved, other than the power cable. The Express connects to the Extreme's wifi network and my iMac wirelessly connects to the Express.

Setup was easy. It's done using the AirPort Utility located in Applications/Utilities on your Mac. The AirPort Utility detected the new Express and asked how I wanted to use it. One of the options is to extend an existing Apple network, which the Express detects. Once the setup is complete, both bands of the Extreme's network (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) are boosted. From my iMac's point of view, the Express is virtually invisible. The iMac sees the Extreme's network that it was previously connecting to, but now at a much higher signal strength. There is also the option to set up a guest network that is independent of the main one.

One small drawback is that the Express, unlike the Extreme, does not support 802.11ac, so the extended network does not support that mode either. NetSpot is showing the extended 2.4GHz band as supporting 802.11b/g/n, and the 5GHz band as 802.11a/n. Some people are speculating that Apple may add 802.11ac to the Express in the next model revision, possibly this year. But who knows?

The AirPlay feature, which allows you to stream audio from OSX or an iOS device to speakers connected to the headphone port on the Express, is a great feature that is not available on the more expensive AirPort Extreme. If you have iOS7 on your iDevice, you can access this feature by swiping upwards from the bottom of the screen to reveal a control panel. Tap on the AirPlay symbol (a square with a triangle at the bottom) and select your AirPort Express from the list of options. The audio is then routed through the Express to your connected speakers.

There is a USB port on the back of the Express, but Apple say this should only be used for connecting a printer that you want to use across the network, not for hard drives. The USB port on the AirPort Extreme IS suitable for use with hard drives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Apple AirPort Express (Accessory)
Only using it as an Airplay adapter for my hifi, which it does without any fuss. Easy set up from phone or iPad. I now only have a very small selection of favourite songs on my phone and ipad for when I am out, but now listen to nearly all my music via Airplay from my iMac, which I can control from anywhere in the house using the Remote App. Serious listening still done on CD.

Apple AirPort Express