5.0 out of 5 stars Apple Mac or Microsoft?
I have always been a little cynical about Apple and it's appeal, iPod, iPhone, iPad... lemming anyone? It has always seemed to me that people care more about being able to say "I have the latest iPad" than what it actually does or doesn't do.

Published 18 months ago by Avid Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars battery life not long enough
Battery life does not last as long as mentioned in product detail. Was posted as 5 hours which is already the minimum for mac air. But still doesn't last that long.
Published 9 months ago by Nitsha Shepherd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple Mac or Microsoft?, 10 Jun 2013
Avid Reader (Middle England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple 11-inch MacBook Air (Intel Dual Core i5 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Memory, HD Graphics 4000, OS X Lion) (Personal Computers)

Having said that ever since the first MacBook Air was advertised on the on TV I've had that kid in a candy store look whenever I've spotted one and have often wondered if they are worth the massive price tags. Is the MacBook air another case of iPad envy, does it really do anything differently to my numerous Windows based PC's / Netbooks???

I should say I love Windows 7 home premium, and was loathed to change to 8 so when I came to replace my much loved Acer Aspire One original first generation netbook, and found modern netbooks sadly underpowered for anything, even basic interneting, I decided to bite the bullet and go Mac!

Pros
It's fast (like for like it runs programs faster, opens website quicker and seems to work incredibly well)
Efficient (seems to do the same things as Windows with much less fuss)
Stylish (It does all the things windows does but it does it with more style, like the difference between a Skoda and a Porsche)
Intuitive (I love two finger, one finger clicking and scrolling and find myself trying to do it on my windows netbook at work, much easier than the usual scroll pads and yet still just a scroll pad)
Easy Access to new programs (I miss my Microsoft word, but via Apps I downloaded open office for free, write and several over programs just to try out without any problems and very cheaply... Office is what £90 these days? even the most expensive programs in the app store aren't more than £10 or £20 and most are much cheaper.)
Loads of Freebie downloads on games like Spider etc

Cons
Expensive
Lack of any Real games (I can't get my Sims 3 to work no matter how hard I try, gave up in the end)
Lack of Phone Hook up (it didn't like my Sony phone being plugged in!)
Lack of Security (I'm told Mac is safer but after years of faulty virus software ~ Norton etc, it feels wrong not to be able to download my AVG)

Why Did I Write this Review?
I wasn't going to, but then yesterday my approx 5 hour battery life suddenly became nearer 2 hours and I had a minor 'I've only had it two months!' panic. I decided to visit the apple website and see what I could find out... two minutes later (and that's the gods honest truth) I logged into my a activity monitor, switched off the 'runaway program' and was back to normal battery use (I also found out that you can click on your battery bar and it will not only tell you how much battery power you have left but it will also tell you how healthy your battery is and mine is reading normal.)

If that had happened with a windows laptop it would have taken me four hours to get tired of not being able to find anything even remotely helpful on the microsoft website before I rang by nephew for assistance.

MacBook Air? Priceless

5.0 out of 5 stars Three months in and all is well, 17 Sep 2012
Mr. Simon M. Phillips "Simon" (Leighton Buzzard) - See all my reviews
I've had my MacBook Air 11 inch since June 2012 and so far all is well. I went for the all singing, all dancing version with a i7 processor, 512Gb hard drive and 8GB of RAM - because (apparently) it's not upgradable later. The USB3 ports works perfectly with my USB2 peripherals and the thunderbolt port works well with external monitors (adaptor required). Do I have any regrets? Well, although the screen resolution is 1366 x 768 (about the same as most PC 13-inch resolutions), it is still quite small for my ageing eyes. I sometimes wonder whether I should have got the 13 inch macbook air, with its larger screen and extra battery life. But, having said that, I love the smallness of the 11-inch. For what it is, I can't fault it. The build quality is superb and it's lightening fast. As well as Mac applications, I also use Parallels 8 for running PC software in Windows7. It works flawlessly inside the mac environment with a Windows Experience Index of 4.8 (probably faster if you were to run it in BootCamp, i.e., native). If you want the Rolls Royce of small ultra portable laptops - look no further.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couple of things missing, 20 Sep 2013
Karen H (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful piece of kit; which you'd expect from Apple's styling. It also has great performance for something so small and light. And light it is. Not much heavier than my iPad 64GB.

However, I haven't had it long and I've already noticed 2 key things are missing which might have made me choose an alternative laptop had I known before I'd purchased:

1. There is no Kensington lock port or other method for securing you're laptop to a cable. So if you're working in a public place and need to leave it for a few minutes, you can't. You'll have to take it with you. Most irritating.

2. You cannot back-up using standard back-up scheduling solutions. You're forced down the purchase of either an Apple Time Machine which are cheap or you'll have to plug an external drive into the USB port and manual back it up from time to time. Scheduling software seems to be blocked by Apple's LION OS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suped-up Netbook -- Perfect!, 19 Aug 2013
Bought this as an alternative to a netbook for taking to lectures at university. Bought it second hand, so it only came in at £450. It's the perfect size and weight for a student- the only problem for student use is that it has no security slot to put a laptop lock on it, so I'll have to be canny about keeping it safe.

Screen's gorgeous- I'm planning to fit it up to a 24" monitor when I'm at "home" so unfortunately it might end up a bit blurry due to the relative resolutions, but for general video watching etc it can't be beat.

Storage is no problem- I use a buffalo 1TB hard drive I bought for £70 for all my enormous storage, and I have a 32GB mini memory stick (Sandisk) that sits in one of the two USB slots at all times. No need to keep anything on the machine, really.

In comparison to the old-style macbook air: Not as pretty, too much black, but super useful having two USB ports instead of one, and even more useful that there's no flippy-down mechanism to get to them.

In comparison to the Macbook Air 13"- I prefer this one. I'm female, I have quite small hands, and I need the lightest thing possible because I'm always carrying books around. This is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and powerful, 2 April 2013
Significant birthday present for son who's a notorious Apple nut! Light, compact and fast to use. He loves it.great packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 10 Aug 2012
what a amazing machine, after 15 years of using PC i have seen the light. MAcbook air is a magical gadget, cant understand how they can fit all these features in such a thin machine. five stars to apple and 5 star customer service from amazon. Amazon customer care is second to none, they always make an effort to sort out problems and treat you as an individual.

ps: for the benefit for customer buying these to claim new OS , need to go to [...]
click on blue coloured link to claim new OS mountain lion . fill in the details and it will be send to you via email.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight & Fast, 25 Nov 2012
Traveling round the world on a bike, I needed a small but lightweight laptop. This not only fits the bill nicely, it's just so quick too. I'm now able to update my website blog and Facebook as I go, keeping in touch with all the folks back home. Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars What you'd expect from Apple but beware if using to type on for extended periods of time - perhaps buying the larger version, 5 Dec 2014
Solid construction and in common with other Apple products, looks fantastic. Comments on this specific purchase: The SSD drive failed twice within 3 months of purchase and needed replacing by Apple (free of charge under warranty). The metal edges can irritate bare wrists if typing on the device over long periods. Not much I can say about the Apple operating system itself as that's a whole different debate.

4.0 out of 5 stars US import, 15 May 2013
The product itself works great (so far) however the keyboard layout is US and a UK plug has been merely added to the package. This isn't enough for me to return it, and actually nothing in the product description indicates the keyboard layout, however, I would think most people buying from amazon.co.uk would expect UK products where they exist unless clearly specified.

This is the only reason for the four stars. The product meets my expectations otherwise.

Buyers, do contact the seller to clarify the origin of the product.

3.0 out of 5 stars battery life not long enough, 20 Mar 2014