Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 July 2012
There are always going to be those who complain, but for little over a fiver you have 2 CDs, both consisting of nearly 80 minutes of music, a whole host of singles...remixes.....demo's .....tracks that have never been on CD before and a host of damn fine album tracks. The casual listener will recognise, and love the hits, the collector and the fan will appreciate the others. A perfect addition to any music collection, especially if you have their first 3 albums and their brilliant recent offering 'blanc-burn' already.

....and how many bands actually listen to what their fans want....many of the tracks on here being requested in recent months by those very people.

Most pleased.
on 24 July 2012
This is awful! Since I've been burned by so many CD reissues over the last decade, I always immediately check for shortcomings as soon as I get my hands on a CD. Very rarely, I am pleasantly surprised. More often, something makes me cringe. This one is a double whammy. Other than most of the songs being very loud and brickwalled, I found that about half of the set consists of compressed MP3 sound files, rather than full spectrum files as they should be. This is not a digital download so there is no excuse for this.

Here's a quick rundown:

CD1 - The following are compressed MP3's
11, 14, 16

CD2 - Only the following are NOT MP3's
3, 6, 8, 15

I don't know who is to blame, Music Club, who has done some spotty CD's in the past, or Warners, who Music Club licensed the music from. Either way, there seems to be very little quality control in the music business these days, and companies are just looking to pump out low quality product for the sake of a quick buck. I won't tolerate it. I will be seeking a refund and suggest you avoid this set.
99 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2012
I have been looking forward to this release since the band announced its release a few months back

Megga bonus tracks are Waves Original version AT LAST!, the peel session tracks, Hello Darling, Sad Day Original version and Making Aeroplanes w/o Victoria. Also an absolute bargain at £5 for 2 CDs!

I Ituned the CD on the day it arrived, only to have remove a majority of it off my Itunes library as a majority of the tracks already exist on the albums

Im really disappointed that Wasted (Extended Version) appears to be no different to the album version. Likewise the 7" versions are no different at all

I would say this is more for Blancmange hard-core fans, to top up those missing gaps from the lacking 2008 releases.

We are still yet to received Lose Your Love 12", What's Your Problem 12", the Don't Tell Me US versions to name a few so - my collection is still incomplete but several duplicates. Fans have mentioned these to the band who did however point out that they asked the fans prior to release what they would like to see on a greatest hits

I think due to missing versions and tracks, I feel a 3 star is correct (IMO). I wonder how long we will have to wait until the release of the missing songs - maybe they will never happen. Maybe the next reissues in 10/15/20 years perhaps?
66 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2012
Well, the version control on Blancmange compilations continues to fall short BUT we do finally have the gorgeous album version of 'Waves' on CD, along with 'I would' finally making it as well. Along with the original 'Sad Day' which is hard to find on CD

So what of the typos on the track listing? Feel Me 7" is the album version, leaving the 7" edit missing from any CD collection. 'The day before you came' is the album version and not the single version. Lose Your Love is NOT the album version and I am sure Game Above My Head is the US version and not the long version - I can't be bothered to check given as have lost the will....

If this your first or catching up CD for Blancmange then you will love it. Long standing fans trying to replace the vinyl will be delighted in one hand and very disappointed on the other hand - besides the errors already mentioned, we still have no Lose Your Love or What's your problem extended versions on CD.
88 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2013
I almost did a double take when I saw this album. Two CDs of great music for five quid! It even showcases their newest work, which while different from their 80s ouvre remains sharp and quirky. 'I Can't Explain' just how excited I am! Great.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 December 2015
There are some reviews here that state this two cd set is good value and if sound quality is NOT an issue for you, knock yourself out. If sound quality is important please read the other unfavourable reviews which I wholeheartedly agree with. A large slab of these tracks are sourced from very low quality mp3 files which probably explains why it's so cheap. It's such a shame as this set is, to date the best track listing I've ever seen for a Blancmange best of. I hope it gets a proper mastering one day. Very poor quality.
on 29 June 2013
I've already got quite a few Blancmange CD' s, but this collection is particularly good value. It includes the original version of Waves from the original vinyl release of first album Happy Families, which was replaced by the inferior single version on subsequent CD releases. There's Peel session versions of Running Thin and I Would, and a new track, Making Aeroplanes. A good selection of singles, album tracks, rarities and 12" versions. Best tracks are Living on the Ceiling, Feel Me, God's Kitchen and That's Love, That it is. Blancmange were an innovative and slightly quirky and different band than many of their early 80's peers, and this collection is as good an overview as any.
on 29 August 2012
MP3 sourcing aside (I did sense a lot of disc 2 seemed a bit flat dynamically) this is still a good dip in the pool of all things Blancmange. Whilst some of the 12" mixes are not the ones I would've picked, hearing "Waves" original LP version again, and "Running Thin", almost addresses the balance!

Demon's original track-listing states "LOTC" on CD2 is an early version, but it is in fact just the standard 12", and the fact that the 7" edit of "Feel Me Now" still evades CD capture, contribute further to my down-grading from 4 to 3 stars.

This could have been so good, but ends up only be so good in parts. Shame, as we're unlikely to see another compilation in the near future.
on 11 December 2013
This has all the 12" mixes on it too, a great compilation of a band that should have been a lot bigger than they ever where.
Feel me, Don't tell me and Blind vision where all better songs than Living on the ceiling which was their biggest hit.
All are on here in their 7" and 12" versions. If your a fan this is a must have CD, if you want to know just how much better the early 80s bands were than what gets released these days, buy this CD. Although Blancmange were really only famous for about 15 minutes back in the day, they wrote some great tunes, and they are all on here. Even the fillers are better than a lot of todays bands who royally rip off bands like this.
on 15 March 2015
If you don't know Blancmange you really ought to! This collection is packed full of great tunes and even if you've got "Second Helpings", the band's original "Best Of..." as I have, this is worth having due to all the bonus tracks.