4.0 out of 5 stars Thrown Away Avant-Garde?
Published on 21 Oct 2000 by mdenster

3.0 out of 5 stars Disregard all reviews written prior to 2012
Compiled from 5 live and 6 studio tracks recorded between 1969/70.

There are at least 3 or 4 crucial Zappa/Mothers tracks on here, plus a number of killer "Free Jazz" pieces, which although at times are superb and as great as the very best the genre has to offer, unfortunately include moments I find unnecessary and very hard to listen to.

All reviews...
Published 22 months ago by Jackie P

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrown Away Avant-Garde?, 21 Oct 2000
This review is from: Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Audio CD)
'Weasels Ripped My Flesh' followed the dismantling of the first edition of The Mothers Of Invention. It's pieced together from out-takes, live performances and tape splicing. It is also a work of some genius! The sound of a highly creative individual creating a cohesive work of art from fragments of previously recorded tracks and instrumental jams. It also contains a great rock guitar song 'My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama' and 'Oh No/Orange County Lumber Truck' which showcases the original Mothers at their peak.
Some will find parts of it unpalatable, the notion of what a song can and should be challenged but is that a bad thing? Listen and decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mick F, 23 Mar 2012
This review is from: Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Audio CD)
As a life-long fan of Uncle Frank I greeted the package when it arrived on my desk like a long lost friend. I sold the vinyl album many years ago and had not heard it for a long time.
What can you say about Zappa that hasn't been said before? I won't even try. Suffice to say that this album was made as the Mothers of Invention morphed from one line - up and style to another and acts as a bridge of sorts between the two. Pull up a chair, light up a cigarette, pour a strong cup of coffee and listen to this album and marvel that no-one has even approached the musicianship, composing skills, world vision and demented humour of Mr Z.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats the ugliest part of your body?, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Audio CD)
This, along with many other Zappa albums,was one of the mainstays of my youth in the late sixties and seventies. At the time it meant that I spent a lot of time in my own company since Zappa was considered too far out for most of my peers and the oldies had never heard of him---I pity the fools !!! now Zappa is widely accepted as one of the greatest composer/musicians of the age. I still find his music daring and intelligent in a way which sets him on the same lofty pedestal as my other teenage passions, The Velvet Underground and J.S.Bach.If you have not yet discovered these greats, get busy__it's later than you think.
General Yen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disregard all reviews written prior to 2012, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Audio CD)
Compiled from 5 live and 6 studio tracks recorded between 1969/70.

All reviews written prior to August 2012 relate to earlier CD editions that were issued on Ryko, with different mixing and mastering qualities, plus a few tracks had longer running times.

If you decide to buy "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" on CD, and want it to sound as close to the original vinyl LP as possible make sure you get a hold of the 2012 Zappa Records remastered edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weasels Ripped My Flesh, 7 May 2003
Michael Fingal O'Flaherty Brett (North London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Audio CD)
Anyone who enjoys complex and surprising music could not fail to enjoy this cd. It says much about Zappa. Had this man taken himself more seriously, could he have gone on to much greater things? Oh No and Orange County Lumber Truck suddenly produce startling and -the former- beautiful melodies. I'm sorry he died when still such a relatively young man. Buy it. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another work of genius from Frank Zappa, 12 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Audio CD)
This album is astounding. Aggresive jazz, rock, pop, blues, classical and many other styles of music i can not catogarise in one album. And for the most part, it is fabulous. It is also very funny in parts, especially the amusingly titled Oh No!, which is pop at it's best. 'The Orange County Lumbertruck' has a stunning melody in it. Although the album is slightly disjointed, it does maintain continuity and is a pleasure to listen to. Anyway, can't think of much more to say except that I listen to this album all the time, and it has even got some of my friends into Zappa's work, so it must be good. Hail Zappa!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 29 Dec 2013
The man was a genius.
I can state this with some confidence because this is the only artiste whose material my dog whines along with/to, either in an expression of pleasure or pain.
I can't decide which; I like to think of him as a fan though.
Zomby woof indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Psychoanalysis of a Toothbrush, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Audio CD)
Well this is an interesting collection.
I got this from the "sort of" recommendation of my dad. He used to have it, as his mate got it for him as of the cover.
Well, I do want to wonder about how this album is good and how it's bad. Certainly, there are parts I'm not fussed about. If you have Were Only In It For The Money, you won't be bothered by the 2nd half of the Dwarf song and most of Eric Dolphy. I really couldn't be bothered in listening to the whole of the title track either. But this is not for it being weird, just that it gets a bit boring. Being weird is not the bad thing, and if you don't like that, why are you even looking into this album, or even Zappa? If you must, I recommend the lovely slab of music that is My Guitar to the wonderful Orange County Lumber Truck. Anyways, many weird parts are intriguing and hilarious. Such as the whole of Didja Get Any Onya(anyya anyaaaaa), and the Prelude to the Afternoon of a Sexually Aroused Gas Mask. Many parts are genius, such as the musical structure of Toad Of The Short Forest, with the 1:00 mark perhaps being classed as Frank's answer to the rise of Metal. You can also get some smooth jams from Directly From My Heart to You, and Get a Little. As most of this is live, it is also very impressive. I think it's great, but a bit of a mumble-jumble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a lot..., 20 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Weasels Ripped My Flesh (Audio CD)
People seem daunted by anything they cannot place into a category and it is true that the work of a genius will always be misunderstood. I can't tell what is going on in this album even though I've heard it so often yet I can't help but find myself listening to it over and over again. "My guitar..." has a definite sense of structure to it and just as you get into it it all falls into something totally different and then back again, your brain has no idea where a song is going to take it and this is perhaps what makes it so special. "Orange County..." I feel is possibly the best song. Not for the faint hearted - do not expect anything of this album and it will never fail to deliver everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Friend, 17 Feb 2013
This album and I go back over forty years when a South African promoter handed it over and said " Do you want this, I hate it!"
I love the humour in this album and the musicianship. Jean Luc's violin solo on "Directly From My Heart To You" is a wonderful thing in itself. Frank Zappa died far too soon, and thank God for Dweezil.

Weasels Ripped My Flesh
Weasels Ripped My Flesh by Frank Zappa (Audio CD - 2012)