5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!
Really good product, easy to use and heat up really quick. Even manage to keep my hair straight for two days! Having the different heat setting is great depending on how crazy my hair is being that day!
Published 11 months ago by Lyonsc

3.0 out of 5 stars Remington disappointment
Disappointed that the lowest temperature setting is 160 but this is still very very hot which burns my hair and has discoloured it. I wouldn't recommend it for silver hair.
Published 10 days ago by S. R. Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Remington S8590 Keratin Therapy Pro Straightener (Personal Care)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tame that unruly barnet with these monsters you scruffy hag!, 10 Sep 2012
Neil Goodacre - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is, once again, one of those items that I'm really not qualified to review on my own, being as the top of my head has been adorned with the same number-two haircut now for just over two decades. However, my wife is notorious for spending hours preening herself on a daily basis so these are right up her alley.

Now, apparently, it is not acceptible for a woman to have curly, wavy or otherwise non-straight hair. To do so is almost guaranteed to have you exiled to the outer-reaches of the school-run rabble. In short, to the female half of this country's populace, straight hair is as essential as air or water. Lucky, then, that the Remington S8590 is on hand to help stamp-out the horrors of wavy hair for good!

Here are some of the wife's key points (with my own embelishments, of course):

The heat proof mat/carrier has velcro to keep your straighteners secure in transit. There is also a pocket inside the carrier in which one can keep hair clips (or anything else for that matter, as long as it's not something that melts). I understand how important this is because women's clothes don't seem to come with pockets. Ever.

The straighteners are light-weight which makes it easier to straighten and style your hair. Presumably before these things were invented women had to use an iron, or perhaps rocks that had been heated in a fire and neither solution lends itself to efficient straightneing, so well done Remington.

These bad boys also have an adjustable temperature control, which for my wife is a new innovation and a very welcome one at that. They can crank out a Kyoto Protocol-busting 230 degrees celsius should you need them to (though the rulebook that comes with the tongs says this should be reserved for thick hair). On the subject of instructions, I'm told they are easy to follow so that's good news too.

And a last couple of points, I'm told they glide through your hair really easily, a feature facilitated by the sprung plates and they also heat up really quickly. They also, my wife tells me, have an automatic shut-off feature and will power themselves down if unused for an hour. This means they'll switch off at about the same time as the fire brigade finish putting your house out, which is nice.

So there you have it. These are superior to any of the other straighteners that the missus has used to-date, surpassing even the Nicky Clarke ones she used to own (which were good enough to warrant a Facebook status update dedicated entirley to their brilliance). As a result, these tongs come highly recommended.

Thanks for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 19 Nov 2013
Fantastic!!, my hair is naturally curly,the only straighteners I have used where my hair has actually kept straight,better than GHD'S

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise, 16 Sep 2012
SuPeRsOnIc - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was doubtful as to whether or not these would live up to their expectations, having not heard good things about Remington straighteners in the past. I researched before, and noticed these were being compared quite a lot to GHDs.

Aesthetically speaking, I actually prefer these to GHDs. In my opinion, they look more "high-tech" (well, as high tech as straighteners go".

Having a pair of GHDs in the house helped comparison.

So, down to function which is really what matters - these work fantastic, I'd say almost, if not as well as GHDs.

Regarding the Keratin technology, I don't really notice a difference. However, that doesn't bother me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not worth the price tag (3.5 stars) AMENDED 28/10/13, 7 Oct 2012
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have curly hair and since I had it cut into a bob, I have to straighten it every day. I was, therefore, quite excited about straighteners that promised to protect your hair.

These come in a really fancy looking box and include a rather luxury looking heat resistent mat/bag. So, far so good.

The straighteners, themselves, feel a little cheap. They don't feel how I imagine a pair costing this much money would. They turn on my pressing and holding the on button. The straighteners then heat to 200C, unless you change the setting. The manual claims they will take 15 seconds to heat up, but it's more like a minute. They beep to let you know they are ready.

I started to use them on the 200C setting but I didn't find this hot enough. My hair is quite thick and wavy so I turned it up - my previous straighteners were 230C. They seemed to do a good job of straightening my hair.

As for all the promises these come with, I'm not sure. My hair doesn't feel any different but I guess I would know how 'protected' it is after prolonged use. Also, I don't buy the whole 'optimum' temperature for your hair. At 200C, they weren't hot enough but the straighteners didn't pick up on this.

As another little quibble, I just don't think the cable is long enough. My previous straighteners were much longer.

All in all, I'm not overly impressed. I think you are paying over the odds for a lot of promises, that might never materialise. My previous straighteners were half the price of these and they did just as good a job.

EDIT 01/06/13 - Well, at 7 months old, the straighteners have started making this weird buzzing noise when I plug them in, which makes me think its an electrical fault. I'm not at all impressed as they should be lasting a lot longer at the price. I know you'd get a years warranty but would you want all the hassle? Not good enough.

EDIT 28/10/13 - I recently tried some new straighteners and found myself returning to the remmingtons, which are still occasionally making a weird buzzing noise (I probable should have binned them). I would definitely buy another pair when these eventually does go as I can't find any that are as good. I think it's only fair that I amend it to four stars as they clearly are worth the money if I'm prepared to buy another pair!

5.0 out of 5 stars best straightener, 24 April 2013
i had straightener before but its wasnt like this , this is amazing it gives you more shine and nice look

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but do the job, 14 Feb 2013
These weren't expensive yet make my hair smooth and straight. They're narrow and I'd been used to a wider tong. It doesn't prevent them working well. The cord is generous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great straightener at a great price, 26 July 2013
Mr. R. Kolesnev (Belfast) - See all my reviews
Great straightener. Bought it for my better half and she loves it.
Although the price was right and she actually prefers it to GHD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent Styling Product, 4 Aug 2012
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions of the hair styler are mostly positive and don't diminish after the product has been in use for a while either.

They feature a variable heat setting with 5 to choose from, 160C to 230C; the thicker the hair to be styled, the higher the temperature that can be selected. The selected temperature is usefully illuminated on the handle and the display flashes until the desired setting is reached; the manual states this should take around 15 seconds but I found it took about a minute to reach the highest setting. Not a deal breaker but not as fast as I had expected.

Hair gets incredibly hot whilst being styled at the highest setting to the extent it feels as though fingers could be burnt; use of styling combs is probably advisable to avoid any potential discomfort. Otherwise, hair is styled quickly by 11cm long plates and without snagging, leaving it wonderfully glossy. Automatic switch off occurs if no buttons have been pressed for 60 minutes, which is quite a long time and I would have preferred a shorter period even if the added safety that would impart is mainly illusory.

A heat protection sensor comes on automatically at switch on, which can be switched off if not required. If left on, this will apparently optimise the temperature to prevent damage to hair. This is done automatically and there is nothing to alert you to the fact it has or hasn't occurred; all I can say is that hair was styled without damage (even if it did get extremely hot).

A heat resistant mat doubles up as a storage pouch and a lock holds the plates in closed position to minimise space used. Plus the product comes with a 5-year guarantee.

This is a nice product that styles hair quickly and efficiently - once it has warned up. Whilst a one minute warm up time doesn't sound too long, it isn't what the manual says it should be and, added to the long wait for a safety switch off, 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with a USP of Avanced Keratin, 27 Sep 2012
MJ King "MJK" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Advanced Keratin? Yeah, I didn't know what that was either!

Goggled it and found out its a "treatments mainly used to strengthen, smooth and straighten hair".

My wife has naturally curly hair and is always trying to make it straighter, so she was really keen to give these a go. And she wasn't disappointed saying they are the best she's every tried for straightening her hair.

She loved the quick way these strengtheners heated up and found they did automatically shut off when not used. The cable length was good and the included storage pouch useful and good looking.

Couple of minor points stopped it being a 5 star review:

As others have noted, they do stay hot for quite a long time after they've been switched off.

The other thing - and personally I think it's a matter of personal choice - my wife found them a little too light. Not only did this make them feel a slightly less than premium product she also found them a little difficult to use - something about 'gliding' too quickly thru her hair?

But what she really liked was once straightened the hair stayed that way all day!

Seriously, they can stand getting damp but curls do sneak back if she gets caught in the rain for any length of time!

Worth buying!