Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 September 2012
As someone who has bought and loved all the other Easy-Stars albums I was really looking forward to getting this one. Sadly it turned out to be a huge disappointment. The inspired dub style of earlier albums such as Dub Side of the Moon or Easy Stars Lonely Hearts Dub Band has, by and large, gone and been replaced by formulaic and to be honest slightly boring covers . The album doesnt actually hit a groove til the 3rd track (the girl is mine), the first two tracks are just so bland that they come across as a watered down UB40. There are possibly 3 or 4 decent tracks on here - The girl is mine, Thriller, Beat it are all good . Billie Jean starts off well then meanders on for two minutes longer than it ought to . And really thats it. A real shame- far and away the worst album the Easy Star All stars have come up with and unlikely to get played very often.
on 26 November 2013
I did not find this quite up to the standards of their previous remakes but nevertheless, still very enjoyable and will be played countless times in the car.
on 28 July 2013
I would say if you are a fan of the original album and are open minded then you will love this version.
on 9 March 2013
As most of the other reviews have stated, this is a mostly disappointing affair.
I think the reason for this is that all their previous outings have been covers of popular rock albums, which lent themselves to a Roots Reggae enterpretation.

However, by taking on what is generally regarded as one of the greatest funk albums of all time, there was no way they would be able to stop this sounding like some sort of cod reggae-funk hybrid. Like Third World on a bad day.

I don't think musically it's bad, just a different style of reggae. If they just stuck to covering mainstream classic albums, where the roots reggae sauce could be added without diluting the flavour of the original, the well would never run dry.

But I do like 'em.
I'm a reggae fan first and foremost and their previous outings are some some of the best, musically, I've heard. I've always felt if you're going to remake something, it has to be better or totally different. That's where these guys have always been successful.

This album just made me want to listen to the much better original.
on 20 September 2012
Firstly I should admit that I'm a big fan of Easy Star All-Stars, and so I might be a little prone to bias.
Having said that, this isn't a 5 Star review so I'm obviously not totally viewing everything that they do through the glory of rose tinted spectacles.
As the title of my review suggests, I was expecting a typical ESAS Dub Reggae reinvention of Michael Jackson's seminal album, and I didn't quite get what I assumed I would.
It's not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, but if you are looking for another Dub side of the Moon, Radio Dread, or Lonely Hearts Dub Band then you are going to be surprised... and possibly disappointed.
It is without a doubt an impressive reworking of a classic piece of musical history, but Dub Reggae it isn't - well, not my understanding of it. I'd say it's more Funk.
It's good though, but I'd take it as a stand alone album - don't judge it on it's predecessors.
on 20 October 2015
All stars are great! The album is not as good as Dub side of the moon but then I'm not a huge M Jackson fan!
on 18 September 2012
Two tracks which are somewhat reminiscent of the earlier albums. All the others are very disappointing. The all-stars seem to have lost their way. On the other hand, if you want some cheesy, hotel reggae tunes, this is the one for you.
on 25 June 2013
This album is top notch, every riff and every word sung is perfection as what I have come to expect from Easy Star All Stars work. Yet another masterpiece and this is coming from someone who does not like Michael Jacksons music. Favourite off the album has to be Baby be Mine for me but could happily listen to this over and over. 5 stars.
on 2 February 2016