5.0 out of 5 stars A wide ranging book, 25 Jun 2010
I thought this was a good book. It covers the sun in reasonable detail and runs through the various options and ways to observe it from an amateur astronomers point of view. It had about the right balance of technical descriptions, the problems facing the observer and introduces a range of practical solutions existing. For instance, how to locate/describe the position of a sunspot, or a filament perhaps, on the surface of the sun as it nods and leans and rotates (as seen from earth) as we travel through space. Methods of photographing the sun and processing the images are also included, as the book says, a hobby within a hobby.
I own a PST (Personal Solar Telescope) and this book has enhanced my knowledge and pleasure of observing the sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on solar observing in recent years, 14 May 2011
K. J. Kilburn (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As a relative newcomer to the art of solar white light photography and what it can show on the surface of our nearest star, this is exactly the sort of book I was looking for to extend my knowledge of how to go about systematic observing to a higher standard with modern equipment.

The text is well written and a very good introduction to what the sun is and what can be seen on its surface. For the practical observer, the discussion of surface detail, classification of sunspots, faculae, the solar granulation and flares is particularly well researched and very informative.

The book is amply furnished with high quality photographs showing what I might expect from the instruments and cameras I already own and the recommendations on filtering and the use of monochromatic telescopes are very informative.

Jamey Jenkins' 'The Sun: and How to Observe it.' is written by someone who clearly has experience and technical knowledge based on years of practical solar observing. It fits extremely well with other books in my solar library and I wholly recommend it.

Kevin Kilburn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 23 Oct 2013
Mr. Michael G. Stone "Xyzeq" (Enfield, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent info apart from old data in back of book owing to publication date. All data now available on internet anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent start for sun observers., 23 April 2013
I used this as a guide for my first steps in solar observation. It is well written and explains the science of the sun and how this links to observations. A good buy.