Sennheiser HD700 Open Circumaural Dynamic Stereo Headphones
Price:£364.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 15 February 2015
I have owned the HD700’s for about 9 months now, so they are well and truly “burned in” and I have had plenty of time to appraise them. I listen to a variety of music, mostly “classical” (Bach to Shostakovich and a bit further at either end), but also enjoy prog rock (especially Pink Floyd), jazz and some “pop” (the likes of Goldfrapp and Bill Callahan to name just two).

The majority of my “serious” listening (i.e. through these headphones) is done from CD’s played on a decent Hi-Fi components system (Arcam), but I sometimes use them for listening to concerts on the BBC iPlayer from my MacBook via a FiiO headphone amp. Incidentally, I also attend live concerts reasonably regularly.

I was initially slightly disappointed with the HD700’s, finding them acoustically a bit feeble straight out of the box and they definitely need “burning in” (probably 100+ hours). Now though, I find them utterly impeccable in everything I listen to through them and have detected no significant weaknesses, from the massive orchestral tuttis of Bruckner and Mahler, via chamber music (e.g. string quartet) right down to the solo female voice, solo acoustic (or electric) guitar, or solo piano. I play the piano myself and listening to a well-recorded piano CD through these is like sitting at the keyboard yourself. OK, so they don’t have the massive bass “punch” that some people seem to favour, but that is a manufactured phenomenon – you don’t get it at an orchestral concert.

I also own the Sennheiser HD598’s and the Grado SR325is and in some ways the HD700’s sit somewhere between these two in the listening experience (though obviously not price!); slightly sharper and more “truthful” than the HD598’s (which are nevertheless extremely good), but without the hyper-analytical quality of the Grado’s, which are great for some genres of music (not orchestral for me), but can become wearing. In short, the HD700’s offer, for me, the nearest thing to actually being there in the concert hall (on the front row!). They are also (as others have commented) supremely comfortable to wear, even for quite prolonged listening, but they do leak sound like crazy, so others in the room will hear what you are listening to.

Bottom line: if you’re content to fork out this sort of money for a pair of headphones, you won’t be disappointed (unless you want loads of bass).
on 30 August 2014
I had to wait a few days to review these headphones but from the start I knew these were exceptional, they blast my PSB M4U1's and AKG K550's out of the water, there is alot more detail and space between the instruments compared to my other headphones, they are so much better the difference is worth it a million times over you would not even know they were on your head because of their lightness and just comfort, I bought a FIIO E18 DAC with them and it makes them shine more, clearer, this is German Engineering at its best and I would never look back on buying them, incredible
review image
on 11 December 2014
I have this running through my Creative SoundBlaster ZxR Internal Sound Card which has a 600Ohm headphone amplifier. I'm running it at "Normal Gain" which is 32-300Ohms and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Some people complain about harsh highs but I have had no such issue. I have found both the Sennheiser HD598 and HD600 to be amazing for gaming with no overpowering bass, the HD700 is on the same line but just on another level. Flawless sound and positional audio is as good as you're going to get. The separation of instruments and level of detail... please if you have the money just audition them at any audiophile store. The only thing I'd like to have seen would be less plastic more metal in it's design, but the build quality is still very high.
on 21 May 2015
Super-comfy headphones. Not run them in yet - other reviews suggest about 100 hours but so far very pleased with the quality. They have a definite air of top hifi quality about them.

I am not a fan of cans that over-emphasise bass; I prefer to hear the music as it was recorded and have previously focused on hifi that does not allow for any "equalising" but rather offers "pass-through" amplification. The Sennheisers provide exactly what I like in terms of fidelity reproduction and I can heartily recommend them without hesitation.

They came in a foam lined box - very solid box indeed. The lead is easily 2m long and allows for relaxed positioning in my lounger or on the sofa without worrying about moving and yanking something by accident. Very pleased and compared to the cost of the very best Sennheisers - the HD 800s - I am completely pleased regarding the "value for money" aspect of this product.
on 6 May 2015
I have the sennheiser hd700 and you really need a high end valve headphone amplifer to hear them at their best I have the LAFIGARO 339 headphone amp and these headphones sound fantastic ive had my hd700's about 6 months but haven't used them very much so I think they still need burning in I agree that they are very comfortable to wear and that's very important when your buying headphones give these headphones some time to burn in and you will be rewareded the price has recently dropped on these headphones you can get them for about £350 if you shop around
on 5 June 2015
I bought these refurbished from Sennheiser as the price was hard to resist. Compared to the spectacular Philips Fidelio X2 they lack bass and are not as exciting. They are relaxing headphones that are a bit dull, but they are not as dull as the HD598. When I listen to certain female vocals with the Philips X2 I get goosebumps, but when I listen to the same vocals with the hd700 I get nothing.

The best i can say about the HD700 is that the sound is clear and relaxing, and that they are as comfortable to wear as a pair of soft slippers.
on 2 August 2014
Had hd 600 and hd 650 and even v Moda m100 , the hd 700 are what I'd describe as the best yet by a million miles , the amp I use is a neco-soundlab portable v4 one word bliss !!
on 26 April 2015
The best that I have owned. Very clear and wide sound to them. To get better than this you will have to fork out a small fortune.
on 10 July 2015
Incredibly comfortable, beautiful peice of kit, sound is rich, clean bass, crisp clear accurate highs. They are expensive but worth it if you really need the quality. I simply cannnot understand the negative review on this, or how anyone could give these less than 5 stars! I can't think of anything negative I could say about these gorgeous, beautifully made headphones. A delight to use, absolutely perfect sound
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG (branded Sennheiser) is a private German audio that was founded in 1945. In the last 07 decades, Sennheiser has become synonymous with high-quality products in all areas of recording, transmitting and reproducing sound. Sennheiser is also known for making the world's most expensive planar magnetic headphones--the He90 (a.k.a. Orpheus). Only 300 pcs were ever made and they sold for USD 16K in the 1990s and they may command up to USD 30K today, if you are fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to find one, in the used market.

Sennheiser HD700 was launched in 2011, supposedly to fill the gap between yesteryear's flagship HD650 and the current flagship HD800. It has a maximum retail price of USD 1K but they can be found for a discounted prices that could go south of USD 600.

Features

* Open, circumaural dynamic stereo headphones.
* Outstanding soundstage with a warm and balanced audio reproduction.
* Specially-tuned, highly efficient drivers capable of delivering high sound pressure levels.
* Highly optimised ventilated magnet system minimises air turbulence and harmonic, intermodulation distortion.
* Open-back ear cups facilitate transparent sound while showcasing cutting-edge industrial design for natural sound experience.
* Ultra comfortable and luxurious velour earpads, silicone-treated headband for minimal headband resonance.
* Innovative and highly aesthetic dual-material yoke for better stability and eliminates negative influences to sound quality.
* Very low THD achieved by top-notch and extremely stable internal damping element.
* Symmetrical and detachable silver-plated oxygen-free four-wire copper cable for better conductivity at higher frequencies.
* Designed in Germany, assembled in Ireland.

Impressions

The Sennheiser HD700 premium headphones come in a black easy-to-open cardboard box akin to the HD650's box. I'm a little surprised that for a product that costs USD 1000 this packing is not only non-premium they are impractical too. The packing is non-premium as there is no way one could determine if the specimen has been used previously or not and the packing is impractical as I would never store these headphones in such a large cardboard box and waste rack space. I found that the Slappa Full Sized Hard Body Pro Headphone Case holds the Sennheiser HD700 perfectly well and allows for easy portability. For comparison, the Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic headphones, that fall under this price range, offers their premium headphones in a beautiful piano gloss wooden box and they also include a smaller selvedge denim case for storage and portability.

Even though the Sennheiser HD700 is aimed for portable devices there are no accessories included. The only thing you get is a 3m long cable with proprietary connectors on the headphone side and a 6.3mm TRS jack on the other end. For comparison, the Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic headphones includes a longer cable with a 6.3mm TRS jack and a shorter cable with a 3.5mm TRS jack.

The Sennheiser HD700 comes with velour ear pads. They are very soft and extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, they are unfit for countries with tropical climate. These ear pads are sweat guzzlers and skin/hair debris magnet. This leads to regular maintenance. Improper use will lead to foul smelling and deteriorating ear pads over a short period of time. A pair of additional Sennheiser leather or artificial leather ear pads could have been a better alternative for tropical countries. For comparison, the Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic headphones includes a pair of velour ear pads and a pair of lambskin leather ear pads.

I feel Sennheiser is not up to speed, with the times, especially with accessories that could add value and practicality.

Performance

The first thing that I noticed about the Sennheiser HD700 headphones is their flawless build quality. The meticulously engineered product is a clever use of plastic and minimal amount of metal for optimised strength to weight ratio. This results in a headphone that is extremely light on the head and is ideal for long listening sessions. Despite the abundance of plastic they do not look cheap, they look more sci-fi than hi-fi.

The HD700 headphones are rated at 150 Ohms and are more easily powered by portable devices than both the 300 Ohms rated HD650 and HD800 headphones. This also means that the HD700 gets fairly loud, very early in the volume dial. With most amps, I could barely get past the 10 O'clock position.

The spectral balance is tipped towards the treble or so it appeared to my sensitive ears when I first tried them. There is more treble detail, energy and extension than the HD650. The HD700 headphones need a good amount of burn-in before they open up to optimum performance. My first impressions were that these headphones have a brighter treble and lighter bass. Post burn-in, I could feel the bass impact bloom, vocals more natural, treble less edgy and the soundstage become more expansive.

The key strength of the Sennheiser HD700 is their soundstage. It is wide enough to make you think that you are not listening to headphones. They were almost like listening to a desktop audio monitoring system. Instruments are well placed and separated within the soundstage created. This is quiet a feat and a treat from a pair of headphones.

Another key strength of the Sennheiser HD700 is the midrange. It sounds natural and as such these headphones are best suited for songs that are predominantly vocal. The vocals on the HD700 are more cut out and that makes them a tad more real than the HD650. I especially enjoyed the song Black Sheep by Natalie Merchant from her self-titled album in hi-res 24bit/88.2kHz FLACs.

The bass impact is a hit and miss affair. There are recordings were the bass drums sound very real and compliment the rest of the upper frequencies very cohesively, and then there are recordings where the synthesised bass sounds very papery and delicate which ruins the overall presentation. The HD650, on the other hand, though a tad muddy, sounds more consistent, there is more quantity/impact, is more effortless and enjoyable. I did not enjoy the hi-res 24bit/88.2kHz album Random Access Memories by Daft Punk with the HD700 as much as I enjoy listening to them with the HD650.

For a pair of dynamic headphones, the HD700 has a very fast and very dynamic presentation. The attack and decay of instruments are faster on the HD700 than the HD650. In songs where the passages start out very low in volume and then eventually get very complex, I could never gauge when the HD700 got really loud. Keeping the volume on the conservative side and adjusting it from time to time, depending on the music being played, really helps.

The timbre and tone qualities of the HD700 comes across as neutral and blunt when compared to HD650's captivating timbre and beautifully lush tone. Surprisingly, the HD700 is very clear and legible as a bell, but it does not have the level of detail and transparency of the HD650. For comparison, the Fostex T50RP planar magnetic headphones and the Brainwavz HM5 dynamic headphones both beat the Sennheiser counterparts in transparency.

I used the Sennheiser HD700 headphones with solid state amp, vacuum tube amp, desktop DACs and a reference portable player. The HD700 is highly source dependent and can be very unforgiving of the source and the quality of music being played. To my sensitive ears, the HD700 sounded their best with pristine 24bit and 16bit FLACs and of course playing it with vacuum tube amps sweetened them a bit. With older 16bit music they not only highlighted the flaws I have never experienced before, they also became sibilant with quiet a few old non-pristine recordings.

Comparison

The headphones that I would like to compare the HD700 is with the HD650. I've already been comparing the two, from the start of this review, but I would like to take it a step further here.

I have been using the HD650, tweaked with a DIY headphone cable, for quiet sometime now, they have served me really well and my sensitive ears absolutely love the HD650's warm sound signature. The HD650 has a dark and slow presentation compared to the HD700's well-lit and fast presentation.

I'll have to give an analogy to better explain this. The HD650 is a like a high performance Plasma HDTV. It has beautiful black backgrounds, unmatched contrast and the most realistic skin tones. Even though the overall picture may appear a tad dark, they are easier on the eyes for the long run and very forgiving of imperfect videos. The HD700, on the other hand, is like a high performance LED HDTV. It has beautifully vibrant colours, almost bordering on over saturation and picture that is sharp (but not necessarily transparent). Even though the overall picture quality may appear to be well lit, they may not be easier on the eyes in the long run and may not be forgiving of imperfect videos.

When I switch back to the HD650 I don't really miss the HD700. Even though the HD650 lacks the details, the speed, the dynamics and the soundstage of the HD700, I completely get immersed in the euphoric and musical presentation of the HD650. The HD650 is more of an all-rounder than the HD700 which is very finicky about the quality and genre of music being played. With imperfect recordings the HD700 can get sterile and edgy, they shine mostly with pristine quality recordings only. The HD650 focuses on what's left in a recording and connects me to the music, whereas, the HD700 focuses on what's missing in a recording and highlights the possible flaws therein.

I'm happy to have both the HD650 and the HD700 in my headphones collection, as they both approach the sound very differently. But if I had to pick just one, that is an all-rounder and easy to live with, then it is going to be the HD650. The HD650 improves a lot and opens up with a good after-market headphone cable upgrade. Between the two, it really comes down to a matter of preference, whether you like the sound to be sweet and dishonest (coloured for musicality) or if you like the sound to be rude and honest (true to source).

Wrap-up

The Sennheiser HD700 is a pair of hi-fi headphones and they deserve a hi-fi source and hi-res formats to help them reach their optimum performance. I found that source in the Lotoo Paw Gold DAP (Digital Audio Player). Together they are north of USD 3K, they look like they are made for each other in their grey colour accents and matching looks. They make for a highly recommended Class-A portable audio system.

Those wanting to try a good pair of easy-going audiophile headphones from Sennheiser should start their journey with the timeless classic—HD650. Those who already own and appreciate the Sennheiser HD650, the HD 700 will offer high definition performance with good quality recordings and will compliment the headphones collection.

Pros

* High-end headphones that shine with hi-fi source and hi-res music.
* Class leading details, speed, dynamics and soundstage.
* Exemplary build and finish.
* Full-sized headphones that are light and very comfortable.

Cons

* With imperfect sources they can sound sterile and edgy.
* Lacks basic accessories to make them practical to use.