‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album., 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
Skunk Anansie back on their own label and with their individual sound. Great vocals, lyrics and beats. If you're a Skunk fan, this album will not disappoint.In fact I can't get enough of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
Another consistent incredible album!!
Wonderlustre was fab and so is this!
Skins voice amazing !
A great mix of melodic and kick ass rock that they do so well!
A must buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic pop music, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
My tastes usually run to heavier music than this. It is quite a departure from Paranoid & Sunburnt, Black Traffic is much softer and sounds (to me) like pop music. Once I got over my expectations though I was very pleased. The songs have been stuck in my head for days and they are beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Black Traffic" is an unexpected return to past glory for Skunk Anansie, 14 Oct 2012
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
After a very prelonged (and unnecessary) hiatus back in the 2000's, Skunk Anansie returned in 2010 with the impressive "Wonderlustre". Since there was a whopping 11 year gap between third and fourth albums, I was surprised to hear that they had released their fifth album "Black Traffic" so soon after the last. Nevertheless, when I saw the graffics on the album cover, I knew this album would be a winner and went straight out to purchase it. As anticipated, it is packed with energy and is a true return to form for the band, making "Wonderlustre" sound very tame.

"I Will Break You" is a fantastic opener to the album with great energy, fantastic vocals from the charasmatic Skin and a memorable melody making it the instant highlight of the album. It is followed by two more infectious fast paced songs "Sad Sad Sad" and "Spit You Out" which both confirm Skunk Anansie are back with a punch. One thing that did disappoint me on "Wonderlustre" is that there were no magical ballads like on the other albums, so I am delighted that "I Hope You Get To Meet Your Hero" is included here as it is truly beautiful with lovely vocals from Skin and mesmerising string arrangements, making it the second highlight on here. "I Believed In You" and "Satisfied?" are two more stomping Rock tracks whilst the chilled mid-tempo "Our Summer Kills The Sun" is much more mellow and has a distinctive pulsating Dance influence whilst retaining the Pop Rock vibe of the album towards the latter part of the song. "Drowning" has interesting atmospheric verses, but a slightly monotonous chorus that disappoints - the song is still quite good, but not as strong as the aforementioned tracks. "This Is Not A Game" is an original sounding Pop Rock ballad as the verses are faster paced than the chorus which I find quite different. "Sticky Fingers In Your Honey" is very old school Skunk Anansie and uses the mixture of Grunge, Funk and Rock that populated their first release "Paranoid & Sunburnt". The final song "Diving Down" adds a gentler touch to the album and is a pleasant mid-tempo Pop Rock song.

After "Wonderlustre" and the two solo albums from Skin, I did not think that Skunk Anansie would make such daring and exciting music anymore as I thought they had mellowed with age. Yet, thankfully, "Black Traffic" disproves this theory and certainly surpasses the expectations I had from them - this album is a very pleasant surpise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking return to form. Love it., 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
This is an almost miraculous return to form. After a hiatus Skunk Anansie returned with a couple of pretty good new tunes on their Smashes & Trashes singles collection and then a disappointing new album - Wonderlustre - and I must admit I didn't think we'd hear too much more from them.

I am, however, extremely happy to report that this is a belting new album and fully deserves all the positive comments left by other reviewers.

"I will break you" is a good opener. Catchy, rocky and a nice way to start.

The album really gets going from track 2 - "Sad Sad Sad". This is brilliant, definitely one of my favourites. I love the build up, the drama and then the release when the chorus hits. Great track and one I've been listening to again and again on my iPod.

"Spit you out" continues the good work so far and leads into the ballad "I hope you get to meet your hero". I'm not really into ballads and I have to admit this is not really one of my favourites but I will concede that it's a decent effort for those who do like ballads.

Next up is the stand out track on the album - "I believed in you". This is a great pulsating track, with good lyrics, a good chorus and just simply works so brilliantly well. I absolutely love this track. Probably worth buying the album solely for this one.

The rest of the album carries on the good work. It's rare nowadays to actually find an album you enjoy all the way through with variety and enough good tracks to keep you interested but this is what Skunk Anansie have given us, so thank you very much Skin et al, I hope your hard work and effort get rewarded appropriately and I will definitely be looking out for some live dates near me.

5.0 out of 5 stars YEAH!, 19 Sep 2012
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
Skunk Anansie album Black Traffic is bursting with lots of catchy rocky tunes. I cannot stop listening to it! Really fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really, really good, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
It was worth the wait. I downloaded it first thing this morning and haven't stopped listening to it. For me - it's up there with Stoosh, which always has been my favorite Skunk Anansie album. As usual the lyrics are powerful and Skin's voice is every bit as good as it was 15 years ago. Great sounding record all around!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to love., 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
Great work from Skunk Anansie as always, keep the albums coming . Fantastic live and brilliant to listen to in your own car, home, headset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skunk Anansie - Black Traffic, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
Awesome album. Brilliant sounding tracks. Skin's voice is still amazing after all this time. It's like they've never been away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Black Traffic (Audio CD)
Their best album yet. Things don't start calming down until the fourth track - and then it's with tasty strings!
"Pretty Reckless" - this is how it's done!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Black Traffic
Black Traffic by Skunk Anansie (Audio CD - 2012)