4.0 out of 5 stars Wii U is a console
Firstly I would like to start by saying the Wii U is the successor to the Wii. They look similar but they are different consoles.
Published 5 months ago by titiprime

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, Anti-Consumer System.
Nintendo have to be one of the most incompetent and anti-consumer companies out there. The Wii U is a disaster right out the box:

1) Any game you buy from the eShop is tied to your console and not an account i.e. Steam, iTunes, Google Play, GOG. Therefore, if you sold the console and bought one at a later date you cannot claim all of your digital content back...
Published 19 months ago by Rider on the Storm

4.0 out of 5 stars Wii U is a console, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
I am not a Nintendo's fan as the ones you can see over the net, but being a gamer for 22 years (my first console was a NES 8-bits) and nearly brought all Nintendo's console (as well as a PS1,PSP, PS3 and be given a Xbox) my review can be interpreted like being a fans review. Nevertheless I think I have a brain and I will be also critical on that product.

I wanted that console when it was first announced but the price tag (350) at launch put me off. After a while the price comes down and I grab it when it was on a special offer from Amazon which last one day (they put their price at the same level as Argos). Anyway I purchased the console knowing the sales of that console was not great (will come back to it). Because I am a fan of Mario kart and Zelda it was the console I have to buy.

If you have the choice between the 32 GB or 8 GB version, go for the 32 GB version cause it worth the extra s.. well in fact the 8 GB version is useless (unless you have a good bundle).

Now let's start by what's in the box:

- Wii U console
- Wii U gamepad controller
- Wii U AC/DC adapter
- Wi U gamepad adapter
- HDMI cable
- Wii sensor bar to use Wii peripheral (backward compatibility)
- Wii U plastic stand
- Papers and manual

Note:

1) if you already have a Wii, you don't bother to get the sensor bar out of the box.
2) The AC/DC adapter of the Wii is not compatible with the Wii U.
3) If you cannot use an HDMI cable for X or Y reason, you can still use the AV cable which came with the Wii. Having a CRT TV it works fine (you may have to set the picture right).

Installing the WII U (hardware).
- If you already have a Wii, you can use the peripherals of the Wii (except for the Adapter).
- If you never own a wii before it's not more challenging than a PS3/4 or Xbox360/1.
+ Just plug the HDMI or AV cable on your Wii U (see the back panel) and the other end on your TV.
+ Connect the sensor bar to the Wii U (see the back panel).
+ Plug one end of the Adapter on the Wii U and plug the other end of the adapter on the wall.
+ Charge the gamepad for 1 hour or 2 before switch the Wii U on.
+ when switch the Wii U on make sure you select the right video source.

Configure the Wii U (software):

To be frank I did not find any difficulties to set all the parameters, my internet, my screen resolution, my parental settings and other parameters took me 10 min top (not counting my mii creation). The longest thing I have to set up is my Mii (can't import your Mii from your Wii straight away).

It's a well known fact for gamers community but for those who do not know. You have a mandatory big system update to download after you settings up your internet. I will strongly recommend to do that first cause it will really improve the responsiveness of the system. FYI, I am with virgin and it took me 42 mins to download 2 Go + (I am on 20 Meg contract).

Now, one of the big flaw of Nintendo is the online account, if you did not have a Wii before then just create an Nintendo ID and a Nintendo account on Nintendo's website(yep they are not link by default...).

If you have a Wii/Nintendo account and want to transfer your data to the Wii U, then you need to allocate time. I won't go into details but the procedure can be long and not easy to understand on screen.

If you still plan to keep your Wii and play games you can't play on your Wii U (i.e. game cube games). There is one thing you need to do before that. Save all your data (Wii Saves, Channels) on a SD card (not the one you are going to use for the Data transfer) and your Mii on a Wii remote. What you need to know about the Wii/Wii U transfer is, you will need the Wii and Wii U plug in and both switch on. Personally I used one TV and one set of connectors for both consoles.

The console:

- It is worth to buy the Wii U? Well.. me being Nintendo consumer I would say yes but don't pay more than 200 (it's the same for PS4 and Xbox 1) on this console. The Wii was lacking of the HD capability and social network frame now with the wii U this matter has been resolved. One cool thing you can do with the gamepad is to stream Wii U games and Wii game on it, this mean an end to who has priority access on the TV. You can still be in the same room and do different things. The game pad add an extra to the existing Wii controller (which are still compatible). Do not listen to the media, cause I nearly make that mistake and I can tell you the Wii U is a beautiful piece of Hardware. If you still have a Wii, then 80-90% of it is still re-useable on the Wii U (hence the confusion for some consumers)

- What this console is aiming for? Casual gamer, young kids, Nintendo's fan base and optionally hard core gamers.

- Would it be better to have a PS4 or an Xbox1? yes and No. Here the main reasons for both camp.
Yes, cause 3rd part company betrayed Nintendo and they will prefer to develop for Sony and MS. Which translate by fewer games and less options on Wii U for multi-platform games. On the top of that if you are a COD fans or FIFA then PS4 or XB1 is the console to go cause EA won't develop any game on Wii U cause they think the console is for kids and not for hard core gamers. Both PS4 and XB1 have better online platform which mean better online game, TV services and online Entertainment.

No, because the same companies won't sell you half a game (FF-13-2,COD, ME3, Street fighter Vs tekken) and won't sell you the rest via DLC with the Wii U. The console is so different in term of hardware that 3rd party do not want to spend time optimising the software for the hardware. The gameplay is totally different on the Wii U, to be honest buying a PS4 or an Xbox1 is the same. Saying I would buy a PS4 if I had to choose cause MS being 100 more expensive, being the big brother thing couple with their DRM is a big no no. And if you look at most of the software from 3rd part studio for those consoles and how they develop their games. You will noticed Kinect is never use and the PS move is useless. If you are rich or can afford it, buy a Wii U first and PS4 or XB1 after.

If we do not take into account casual people who prefer to play sort of games (i.e. angry birds or Candy crush saga) on their mobile. Nintendo is being lazy in term of advertising (not being as aggressive as MS and Sony) and acting too late to prevent the confusion between the Wii and Wii U as result in poor sales but I can promise you the console is good and different from the two others. Personally I am not an online gamers and I have enough friends I can invite at home and have a tons of fun with while playing on the Wii/Wii U. The wii U comes with Netfix, youtube and love film apps and soon BBC Iplayer (which was the apps working better on Wii than PS3 or Xbox360, and I test it on all the console). Browsing the internet with the gamepad is so great!!!!!

Games:
Truth has to be say, the console lack of games, after one year. The Wii U library should be way better but bad press due to personal preference, lack of imagination within the game industry (everything has to be the same) and 3rd Part which do not want to assign more resources to optimised each hardware do not help the situation. The Wii U games does not come out as fast as it should be. Or when a 3rd part decide to do a game it's a very port from Xbox/PS.

The situation is not as gloom as it seems, the future 1st part game and 2nd part (studios where part of the development are paid by Nintendo) will solve the situation but it will be a long process. Meanwhile you can still play your Wii games or buy new ones which will look slightly better.

The review being long already I will do pro and cons
Cons:
- No a lot 3rd part games
- No online games (or few)
- Bad network account management
- Bad port from PS3/Xbox360 games
- Mii customisation could be better
- Miss the vote channel
- Lack of mature games
- Don't have the ability to play Blu-ray or DVD (this would have been a major seller point)
- Lack of consumer awareness
- Region lock
- Gamepad lost connection with the Wii U too often (very short time but it happen)
- Original gamepad battery offers 3 hours of game play and needs to be recharge often

Pro:
- Less abuse on DLC.
- More indies games friendly.
- Lot of digital games.
- Possibility to add an extra HDD (managed to hook 2 TB HDD).
- Different game play.
- Less emphasis on must have online gaming/option.
- As powerful as a PS4 or Xbox360 when developers know how to program.
- Good for young kids and parents.
- A Lot of potential in term of apps and gameplays
- Unify Nintendo ID between 3Ds and Wii U.
- HD capability.
- Can play Wii U game on TV or gamepad.
- Gamepad is very light (well it's for me).
- Backward compatibility with Wii peripheral and games.
- New gamepad battery give you 7 to 8 hours game plays.
- Mii universe is awesome apps which is a kind of facebook and online forum all together.
- Web browser on the gamepad is fast and light.

Will recommend this product for 2014 and onward

PS: You can even use your gamepad as a TV remote(my gamepad works better than mine original TV remote...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Console, 13 Dec 2013
R. J. WHILLOCK "Clayofmyclay" (Staffs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
Excellent console, the off TV play functionality is excellent and Nintendo's quality of games is excellent, I can't wait to see what else they bring to this impressive bit of hardware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo W..ow!, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
I was looking for a new console and for a long time hadn't really considered the Wii U, I thought... Surely it's just the wii with a tablet for a controller? Boy, was I wrong!

Firstly, the device is very compact and yet still powerful. I've had it for a few days and I keep finding things that amaze me.

The gamepad has to be the BEST idea ever, I have my Wii U hooked up to the main TV so whenever someone wanted to watch something I was forever having to switch my game off on other consoles.. yet with this I can continue playing the FULL game (not a stripped down experience) on the gamepad! What!!? Who wouldn't love that.

The Wii U also handles Youtube,Netflix and Love Film really well... the dual screen idea is fantastic. One of my favourite features is MiiVerse which is an online community for Nintendo Wii U owners to talk about the games they're playing, hints, tips, cool things they've found etc.. If you're stuck or just want to brag, then it's the place to be!

The internet browser is fantastic, it's just like using a tablet only it's being displayed on my 32" TV!

I don't know why this console gets such a bad rep, so far i've been enjoying Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends and Batman Arkham City (Armoured Edition) and all look/play spectacularly thanks to the Wii U and Gamepad intergration.

Looking forward to the future we have Zelda Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong, Bayonetta 2, Super Mario 3D, Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs..... The list goes on and on!

Do the research and get one of these, it really is a great console that deserves far more attention than it gets. So many people go 'Uhh the Wii U sucks' but have never played one!

5.0 out of 5 stars not believe all the negative views this is an amazing console, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
I promised my two children I would buy a Wii U this xmas since the launch. As a family we all love this console as instead of having a console which can dis engage families from talking to each other we now have games night 3 nights a week even the wife plays!!! Wii U play and nintendo land is great whilst Mario 3d is the best game on the planet. Kids love Batman, Rayman and Mario games, I love assasins creed and splinter cell and cant wait for donkey kong, Mario Kart and the new Zelda. We now have 15 games in over 8 weeks mostly due to the mazing prices at Amazon. All my friends told me not to buy this console and everyone has eaten their words . Don't be a sheep be a WII U owner

5.0 out of 5 stars A review for the uncertain, 16 Dec 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
I had a conversation with a Wii-owning friend, and he didn't know what a Wii U is. So I thought I'd write a simple review in an attempt to clear up some of the confusion caused by Nintendo's lousy marketing.

Wii U is not the same as a Wii. It is not a peripheral for the original Wii. It is a whole new system, with high-definition (i.e. 1080p) graphics and more powerful hardware. The Wii U is backwards compatible with the software and peripherals for the original Wii.

Wii U is part of the "eighth generation" of games consoles, along with Sony Playstation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One. Wii U is not quite as powerful as those other consoles, and it doesn't enjoy some of the franchises that they do (e.g. Grand Theft Auto). However, as it has done throughout previous generations, Nintendo relies upon a core set of games series: Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros., Pikmin, Mario Kart, Metroid etc.

Mario in particular has been well served on the Wii U already, with New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U and the critically acclaimed Super Mario 3D World. Zelda fans have a hi-def remake of Wind Waker (originally on the GameCube). Pikmin 3 is excellent. New incarnations of Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are due in 2014. This is not to say that third-party franchises have passed the Wii U by entirely - there is an enhanced version of Batman Arkham City, for example, as well as the latest instalments of the Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed series. And then there is Rayman Legends, a modern platforming classic.

What sets Wii U apart from other consoles (including the original Wii) is its Gamepad. This is no ordinary controller. It is a large (and comfortable) controller-plus-tablet with a 6-inch touchscreen. Different games take advantage of this in different ways. For example, in Assassin's Creed the screen can be used as a map, or to show the HUD, leaving the TV screen just for the action. In New Super Mario Bros., one can leave notes for other players who may also be struggling on a particular level. These notes can be typed using the on-screen keyboard, or hand-written using the stylus. It's a very natural and friendly way of keeping players connected.

The Gamepad has other advantages. It can be paired with your TV and used as a remote control. It can also be used in a kind of "dual mode", whereby someone can watch, say, Netflix on the TV whilst you play a game purely through the Gamepad. Just the act of pairing the Gamepad with the console is a joy to behold: faint music emanates from the controller, and then the melody is completed as the rest of the music suddenly swells from the TV.

The main disadvantage of Wii U is its lack of sales, because this means the game library is fairly small. Yet analysts predict lifetime sales similar to the GameCube (about 25 million), which was one of the great consoles of its generation. For me, it's a matter of quality over quantity. I bought my Wii U after playing Super Mario 3D World in a store. It really is worth the cost of the console - which, I might add, is considerably lower than Playstation 4 (349) or Xbox One (429).

A few final words on who should buy the Wii U. I would say anyone and everyone who enjoys video games. There's a tendency - a kind of elitism - that seems to be emerging from a so-called "hardcore" gaming crowd who regard Nintendo products as merely for kids, casual gamers, or families. It is true that the Wii U, and its associated "Miiverse", is more family-friendly than the aggressively competitive online realms of Playstation and Xbox. But for me (and I have been gaming since the Commodore Amiga, and owned most systems since, including the PS3) this is a breath of fresh air. Besides, the ostensibly cute Mario games present a far greater challenge than something like Modern Warfare 3, which I skated through in under five hours.

So don't wait for the next stock intake of the "real" next gen - it's right here, right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids adore the upgrade from wii!, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
I love the age appropriate (under 15) content of Nintendo and easy parent controls. My boys are 11-13 and I'm holding back on their exposure to 15 gaming. The games are great graphics and great fun. They have wii-u party, zelda, Monstor

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but does it have enough to last?, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
The Nintendo Wii U is the follow-up to the hugely popular Wii, and introduces a quirky GamePad controller with a second screen. The system is more complicated than the Wii, which may alienate casual players, and doesn't offer the power or game selection to turn the heads of long-time gamers. The controller can be a lot of fun, but it's questionable whether future games will really make use of this interesting hardware.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Wii 2., 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
Nintendo, Sega, Playstation, Xbox, I've tried them all over the last 25 years.

I've liked them all. But I always go back to Nintendo. The Wii U allows for all the family fun that the original Wii did, but it also adds a more hardcore element for real experienced gamers.

The Wii U allows the use of wii pad (with screen), the WII U pro controller (for experience xbox and playstation players) and original wii and nunchuck controls. You can't go wrong with this machine.

There are some fantastic games that you just can't get on other machines. The visuals are not that far behind the xbox1 and ps4, and to be honest I don't know why anyone would choose the best graphics as substitute for access to some of the best games that are about.

You've got your Netflix, love film, youtube, google maps, internet, social gaming platform, ability to download indie games.

Its true that Nintendo have lost developers due to poor sales of this machine, but I suspect the poor sales are not indicative of the quality of this console. I whole heartedly recommend getting this machine. Its cheaper, its fun, its compact in size. The controllers are absolute delight and it caters for family and experienced gamers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to play more..., 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
Great system. So under rated in the media, its a crime. Do yourself a favour get this console. If you play games and not specs... this is the system for you.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely my favourite console!, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black (Video Game)
If you like fun games and excellent platformers and much more.... Buy this console! You won't be disappointed. It really is a joy to use. Even controlling youtube on the gamepad while watching on your tv is so fast and easy.
If your'e thinking of buying a ps4 or xbox one instead of this, don't. I have a ps4 and now that I'm finished Tomb Raider, I can't see myself using it for a while. Don't get me wrong, I like the ps4. But so far, it's nothing special. If just some graphical improvements is all we have to look forward to in the next generation, then be thankful that nintendo still exist.
Nobody makes games like nintendo and they never will. And with games like Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker (if you haven't already played it), the Wii U will keep you busy while you wait for the rest of what's to come in 2014.

Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black
Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack - Black by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii U)
229.99