4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish mood light
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:33 Mins
Unlike previous versions the livingcolors iris has a fixed power lead, approx. 1.8m long, terminated in a UK power adapter. A basic Quick Start Guide is supplied, with the full manual being available on the Philips website.
Published 18 months ago by L Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the great things of the Gen 2 are gone in the Gen 3
I've a number of living colour devices and I've recently added a Gen 3 Iris lamp. The Gen 3 device feels cheaper.

Published 16 months ago by C. Pitchford

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the great things of the Gen 2 are gone in the Gen 3, 8 Dec 2012
C. Pitchford (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips LivingColors Mood Lamp Gen 3 LC Iris Black (Kitchen & Home)

The power adapter is wired in. this makes it impossible to thread the cable through a wall conduit or a hole in cabinet/desk, unlike the gen 2 in which the power adapter connected via a plug on the bottom of the device. This is a real cheap move by Phillips. I personally detest fixed power cables.. scrimping on a plug and socket is just rude!

The remote control feels cheap compared to the gen2 round control.

Gen 3 round control: 2 pre-sets only, colour is set via turning mechnical wheel to cycle though colours, cannot control lamps individually
Gen 2 round control: 3 pre-sets, colour can be set instantly by touching the selected colour, can control all or individual lamps.

The gen 2 round control will control this gen 3 lamp as well, so its not a problem if you already have a gen 2 device but its a bit of a let down if you only have gen 3 devices.. not being able to set colours individually from a single remote is a bit lame.

4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish mood light, 22 Oct 2012
L Williams "les-williams" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 2:33 Mins

Light output is given as 210 lumens which, I think, is roughly equivalent to a 25W incandescent bulb. The unit is supplied with a circular remote control which controls the on-off, colour, brightness and intensity (saturation); there are also 2 favourite preset buttons which can be used to set a colour, brightness and intensity.
A white light is available by reducing the intensity (saturation). There is an option for an automatic colour change and you can vary the speed of the change by rotating the colour wheel, according to Philips there are 20 steps; because there is a slow colour change it is hard to say how long the lamp stays on one colour but at the slowest it appears to be several minutes.
According to Philips you can link several livingcolor iris units to one remote control and also link remote control units together.
In the video I've tried to show some of the features. It is well made and comes with a 2 year warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars One cool device, 21 Oct 2012
SpecialOrder937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted this lamp to provide backlighting behind a TV (in a dimly-lit room a backlit TV can apparently reduce eye strain), but I wasn't sure if it would work. Nowhere in Philips's tech specs did it mention how the remote operated; i.e. was it via infrared? If it was, the TV would block the remote's signal, stymieing the idea altogether. Fortunately, the remote operates using either Bluetooth or RF, so it works just fine without the lamp needing to be in a clear line of sight of it.

The remote can be a bit confusing at first. The colours are arranged in a ring around a dial. Intuitively, you'd think that turning the dial to the colour you want is all you need to do, but this results in hardly any change in colour at all. This is because it requires many 360 turns of the dial in order to cycle through the colours. The ring of colours on the remote should be viewed as an indicator of the order in which the colours change, not as an indicator of where you need to turn the dial. Once you understand this it's plain sailing, although it did confuse me at first (to the point where I thought the lamp was defective).

In operation, this is one cool device - literally. It doesn't get warm no matter how long you have it on. It's equally cool how easily you can change the colour, brightness and saturation of the light, store your favourite settings, or set it to automatically cycle through all of the available colours. The base of the device is a circle "cut out" of the lamp's semi-spherical shape, making it better suited to placement on a flat surface rather than carpet. This is hardly a deal-breaker though: if you want to place it on carpet just find something flat to place it on (a decent-sized coaster would do; the lamp's footprint really is very small).

This lamp is an excellent choice for backlighting a TV (the effect is quite stunning, even in daylight), or for providing a dash of mood-altering coloured light anywhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay-Good, 28 Sep 2013
The design is nice.
It works seamlessly.
And it is dead silent! (in comparison with the 'whining' Gen 2).
My downfalls are:
1. The purple colour is almost not there. It is WEAK! For example, when you scroll to red, it is bright and dense. When you continue to blue, same thing. But when you get to purple? It becomes SOOO pale, almost as though you played with the hue/saturation making it a pastel-ish colour (mixed with white) even though you do nothing on the remote and you are just scrolling through the colours. On the Gen2, the colours are better, denser, clearer, even the purple is amazing on the Gen2, as well as all the cyan, red, etc...
2. In terms of design & size? I prefer the Gen 2 as the bowl was bigger and there was no white strip of plastic at the top, so the Gen 2 was completely transparent. On the other hand this one is completely silent and no sound what so ever. Oh the remote is NOT as cool as the Gen 2 because with this one, you need to scroll to get a colour whereas with the Gen 2 SmartLink remote, you simply touch the colour and it works, AS WELL AS scrolling.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to cuddle it when I fall alseep, 31 Jan 2014
I love this. I knew I loved this when I saw it in a shop, and my boyfriend told me it was a stupid waste of money. I remembered a few months later and grabbed it on Amazon. Now it lights up our dining room every night, in fantastic colours (more often than not, he is the one turning it on and playing with the colours).

My only complaint? I don't have enough of these. I want more. It's so beautiful I want more of them throughout my flat. Or many in one room with different colours? Oooh imagine that? Maybe I will buy a couple more right now...

BUY IT. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really does alter the mood, 6 Jan 2014
A similar model had been seen by me in a flat of a friend and was recommended to me.Now I have one the changing lights in my lounge make so much difference to all in the room,as did that of my friend

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mood light, 29 April 2013
I got one of these plus two of the similar, slightly smaller LivingColors Aura lights and placed them in various corners of my lounge.
Linked them up with the smartlink thing (was a bit tricky - still don't know how I did it. Seemed to involve holding down the On button maybe) so that they all run off the same remote and follow the same colour.
Looks fab and is easy to set a wide variety of moods with the massive choice of colours, brightness and depth.
Great looking lamp too, even when off.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the light mood, 23 Oct 2012
pepemia (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A mood lamp has never been on the top ten of my must have lists , until I got one.
This mood lamp , is a good ample size and can be positioned on floors or on table / cabinet tops . It has a nice modern design , as does the very handy but small remote control . The remote control has a circle design , sadly white while the lamp is black it also takes 2 x AAA batteries not included . At first the instructions for working the remote are not to clear , just diagrams . But basically if you want to change the colour you have to keep rotating it several times . It is easy to turn on and off , and you can have it full beam or dimmed down .
It goes through a rainbow range of colours , however depending on your own wall colourings will alter . The full beam has a very good light and will easily light a living room .
The colors are very soothing and it creates a lovely , versatile environment . Although it was not something I would normally buy I really like it and have been using this instead of my normal lights . It's easily movable , creates several effects and I would definitely recommend one . This would be a lovely , unusual but welcome gift for someone in a new house or a wedding gift or treat yourself , I bet you will soon use it everyday like me .

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stylish light, 31 Dec 2012
Background:
There's a LivingColours Gen 1 Bloom in the house
Received Philips LivingColors Gen 3 LC Iris Black 70999/30/PU Colour Changing Mood Lamp with Remote Control for christmas this year.

So, a quick comparison with the Gen 3 Iris to the Gen 1 Bloom.

Iris is brighter than the Bloom; noticably and I would recommend the Iris unless there is a space constraint because it offers a much richer mood experience in your room.
The Gen 1 came with a better remote than the Gen 3. The Gen 1 remote was/is touch sensitive and had 3 memory slots for pre-sets as well as the option to add more lights to the remote to control; the Gen 3 remote has a wheel to turn to select colour (so not as quick or easy to select desired colour in a hurry) and only 2 pre-sets with physical buttons.

The Iris is very light; so can sit on top of a lot of things. It is bright enough to place in a room and act as a bright desk lamp; I use mine in my bedroom for now and it has replaced my old desk lamp; I have a preset where it is brightest with no colour for waking up in the morning it lights my room quite well and the remote means I can operate it from bed when my alarm goes off. The other preset I have is to mimic the old desk lamp I have so an orange-yellow colour with only slight saturation to replicate an incandescent bulb and set to about 50% brightness.

The mood lighting / colour saturated lighting of this product works well against white or light coloured walls / ceilings and not so great against dark or heavy coloured walls. But that's physics 101; a red light on a deep blue wall will make the wall just look black. Blue light on a red wall wont make the wall look purple; black again. We have a peachy-yellow coloured wall that works alright so a light coloured wall seems fine.

Power consumption is low so is energy saving. Durability : if the Gen 1 bloom is anything to go by then it will last and last and last. The Gen 1 bloom is still on it's first set of batteries for the remote.

Problems:
2 pre-sets is one too few for me but not too bad.
The remote can get interference from 2.4GHz (Common wifi and wireless phone) band if there is heavy traffic nearby; placing the light near a wifi router is a bad idea because, whilst the light will work, the remote will fail to operate the light unless you hold it very close. Not as bad on Gen 3 but noticeable since it's next to my laptop with my laptop's wifi on max and doing downloads you can get some failed clicks at 2m range; but normally pressing again it registers.
Power cable: It's not as long as I'd hoped; I think it's 1m which is long enough for some I guess.
Power adapter: It's bulky. I'm used to Apple products like an iPhone charger which is so slim that it's smaller than a regular plug; but this is like one of the old Nokia chargers and can't be used on my 4 way splitter (the all in one plug kind not the extension cable kind) as it will block the next socket along; plugging into a normal extension cable or socket should be fine, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 21 Feb 2013
I thought I'd write this review to dispel a couple of the negative reports. I bought a couple of these and I'm very happy with my purchase the lights, even just one, lights up my big room (roughly 25 by 21 foot) just fine. Obviously it's not going to have the same output as a halogen bulb but for a lamp it's more than good. When I use an unsaturated white light, the room is filled with light and it's something I much prefer using that the ceiling fixtures. Even using the darker colours provides necessary light to do most things by. Maybe people having trouble with this aren't placing the lamp correctly. It's best to place it a few feet away from a white wall, facing it. Even elevated a bit if possible.

The colours are vivid and the remote control works fine. You can scroll through the colours with the mechanical wheel or set it to fade through them automatically. Whilst in this mode you can turn the wheel back and forth to speed up or slow down the progression. You can also save 2 presets and control multiple lamps with the remote.

All in all, great purchase.

ARRAY(0xb1598e58)