4.0 out of 5 stars Leaves other mood lamps in the shade.
A-ha! Now this is more like it! I had a Philips LivingColors mood lamp before, one of the more expensive models, and it was absolutely terrible. In fact it was returned for a refund.

Published on 10 Jan. 2013 by The Truth

3.0 out of 5 stars Living the Colours at a price
One of the most interesting things about Philips is that, outside the world of media consumption, they have a sizeable catalogue of products that are destined to make life in your living room far simpler. The only problem with this is that most of the products never make it into high-street stores.

Their LivingColours range is just one of the many different...
Published on 4 Mar. 2013 by Picard

4.0 out of 5 stars Leaves other mood lamps in the shade., 10 Jan. 2013
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips LivingColors Aura Colour Changing Mood Light - White (Integrated 1 x 8 Watts LED Bulb, Remote Control) (Kitchen & Home)

This latest incarnation is much better in every way and really shines a light on everything that was wrong with its bigger brother. Firstly the price is now about right - or at least much more realistic - being roughly a quarter of the price I paid for the other model.

Secondly the power cable is much longer allowing better placement it doesn't buzz which the other model's did. Also, I think I prefer the look of the whole unit it too.

Best (and most importantly of all given its intended purpose) the lamp now lights up a spot bigger than 2ft square on the wall, with the LED light sufficiently bright cast a nice swath of colour across your wall. If you haven't seen the colours these create, they're quite something to behold. You can seamlessly cycle the whole colour spectrum and a thousand subtle shades between - they're soft or bright depending on how you feel and they're really quite beautiful.

The look is spot on in my opinion. Clean, simple and modern (especially in white) it reminds me of a speaker cone and sits nicely on a flat edge/stand, hidden away and incorporated neatly into its underside. This makes it much more stable than the other design.

Where the other model of Living Colour light had the edge over this one though is the remote control, but that's not to say this one doesn't work. It's just not as cool given that the other one had a touch sensitive surface. This one relies on a dial and isn't as accurate or easy to control when selecting the exact colour you want (of which there are thousands). The remote's circular in shape and has an on/off switch on it which is cool meaning you don't have to get up to switch it on.

It's still a bit of an extravagance but it's an extravagance I can live with and which doesn't feel like a rip off. The other Living colour lamp I bought felt like a prototype or beta model in comparison to this. This feels like the finished product and it works well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtle but pretty lighting effect(s), 15 Nov. 2012
b4-its-2-l8 (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Via the remote control, (a small, white disc 8cm diameter, 2cm deep, this unit is simple to operate ...once my daughter showed me how to change the brightness! There is a dial (click-wheel) to vary the lighting colour and 2 programmable buttons to automatically select you're favoured 2 lighting effects (easy to set; select lighting colour/ brightness/ tone then press and hold for 5 seconds, job done - like selecting the stations on a car radio.

The lamp itself is lightweight; weighing 430g and small enough to conveniently fit onto a standard bookshelf. The diameter is a little under 23cm, depth is under 11cm but due to the angle of the lamp as it sits, it takes up a 16cm footprint.

As is typical with Philips' products, the unit doesn't come with an instruction booklet but simply a sheet with picture panels depicting how it operates. There are 5 panels; most are straightforward to work out but the 5th was a bit awkward to figure out (it basically operates the automatic changing of the colours).

Nonetheless, this mood light does a good job of what it's designed for... mood lighting. There's supposed to be 16M colours! But I could only see the same ones I see in a rainbow which, being the entire visible light spectrum, is enough for me! I reckon the 16M is a sales gimmick.

All in all, although it's quite pricey it's a very pleasant, cheap-to-run (8 watts) little light; it's not as bright as the 'Iris' (bigger version, 10 watts) Philips LivingColors Gen 3 LC Iris Black 70999/30/PU Colour Changing Mood Lamp with Remote Control, which is currently on a better promotion with Amazon, but then it's also only 2/3's the size.

If buying, it would be worth considering getting 2 (or more) for the sake of balance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Great, 16 Dec. 2012
I bought this Mood Lamp last month and I can honestly say it's one of the best things I've ever bought. Although not a SAD lamp, I do feel really very cheery when it's on. I did wonder if it would be worth the money but I feel it absolutely was. I'm not sure if there really are 16 million colours to choose from, but there are certainly lots. I quite like to have it set to a really deep orange and it feels like I'm in front of a nice warm fireplace. If it's a rainy day I shut the blinds and put the lamp on, it's very homely. I would recommend this product definitely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mood Lighting, 28 Dec. 2013
I got this lamp for Christmas off my family to replace a bust lava lamp to add a bit of mood lighting while watching tv.
It took me ages to get the hang of it but the colours are amazing. To get it to cycle through them you have to spin the wheel on the remote clockwise 360 degrees then after that a short press of the I button. To slow the colour change down spin the wheel anti clockwise for 90 degrees and keep doing this until it changes at the pace you like. You can save the speed by holding one of the preset keys down for a few seconds. To speed up the colour change it's 90 degrees clockwise. The whiter you set the light the brighter it is but you lose the colours as you do this. You can dim it as well and very cleverly control more than one light with the same remote to emit the same colour. It's silent and doesn't use much energy, being LED. It does look a bit unusual but I've hidden mine behind the sofa and it works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and novel, not completely practical., 14 Nov. 2012
Stucumber "Stucumber" (N. Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 0:29 Mins

The video shows the full colour cycle, the clicking sound is a wheel that is spun to select the desired colour from the spectrum. The wheel also functions as a four-way button, this can be used to alter the saturation of the colour and also the brightness of the light.

Philips claim that there are 16 million available colours, I'm not sure that in practise that most people can effectively discern that many colours but you are able to select quite fine gradations of hue from a circular spectrum.

As well as determining your precise favourite colour, you can increase and decrease the saturation, that is, how intense the colour is from virtually white to deep, full colours. With the same controls brightness can be varied.

With the three variables it's possible to set a colour to suit your mood with precision, whether this is from a choice of 16 million, again I remain sceptical.

The effect is certainly not room-filling and as such requires a fairly neutral wall to appreciate the full effect. I'd also not want to use this as the main light source for most activities, though can see some few possibilities; movie night, a romantic evening, listening to music, parties etc. Since receiving the light a month ago, apart from playing with it, I have found no opportunity to use it, which may be more to my busy work/family/study life; you may find more use for it, particularly with more leisure and social time.

The controls aren't particularly intuitive and the instructions are fairly cryptic, though i did finally get the hang of them. As well as the aforementioned controls, there is also the ability to set two favourite colours for future use.

On its own merits the light functions well and I won't mark it down for my lack of use, though the conical design precludes using it to light a ceiling and the slightly confusing controls do detract.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to a hue system or use on it's own., 8 Sept. 2014
Dabbler (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was originally going to buy a Philips Hue Tap so that visitors could turn my hue lights on and off without a smartphone (and having to give them access to my Wifi network). However seeing the reviews on the tap mentioning that sometimes the buttons could be a little difficult to use I was on the lookout for something else

I saw this and found out that it could quite easily be paired with my existing Philips Hue bulbs and hub, the fact that the unit itself and the remote were only marginally more that the Hue Tap made the price a bit easier to swallow. I could get the remote and have the light thrown in for about £8 in my reckoning.

So for a couple of days I used the light and remote without pairing it with my Hue hub. I was quite pleasantly surprised, the light was quite bright (I have it behind my sofa aimed as a magnolia wall) and was easily controllable. Although not as reactive to the colour changing wheel as I might have liked.

Last night I paired it with my Hub and the remote with all my other Hue bulbs, it took me about 20 minutes to figure it all out and physically go up to each exiting bulb and pair it to the remote, then the remote to the hub. I then had to set up all my alarms and timers again. Oh by the way of you are doing this remember to 1st quit all the hue Apps you may have running otherwise it doesn't work.

So now I have control of the bulbs and the LivngColors Aura as a single group on the remote, what a pity you can't select them individually like with the previous generation remote. I also still have control via the App (individually and as groups). The remote now lives on the hallway wall so that visitors can turn on and off the group as they like and change the colour.

One thing to note is that the Aura cannot be controlled in a Philips light recipe because it can't obtain the full range of whites that the Hue bulbs can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ambience, 25 Mar. 2013
Picked this up for £45, very very please with it.

Pros

Good colour range

Black lamp looks smart

like the remote, good features

Cons

Not going to light up a big living room

There is NOT 16 million colours, seriously stop the BS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what was needed, 3 April 2014
We had some Philips egg lamps before we bought this and, although they were adequate, they needed to be charged every day. We'd had them for several years and they were becoming less reliable with age, not lasting throughout the night (my wife has an illness that makes a dim light at night essential), so I decided to try this. I've set it up on a timer, at low output, and it is ideal. The light can be dimmed and isn't so strong that it causes me a problem with sleeping, but gives a secure glow for my wife. As it is mains operated, I don't have to remember to charge it up every morning. I still haven't worked out how to get the colours to change in sequence, but that's idleness on my part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, love the effect they produce!, 28 Dec. 2013
Hyena Skull (Tadley, Hants, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Have now bought three of these as I wanted to reproduce the gorgeous ambient effect all around my living room, as opposed to just on one wall. I've always been a fan of ambient lighting as opposed to glaring ceiling bulbs and these fulfill their purpose perfectly.... Especially at this reduced price. Would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the colours, 27 Dec. 2013
Love this lamp. Many colours to choose from and the light is enough to light up e relatively big spot. I keep it in my bedroom and have the feeling it fills the whole space with colour (approx. 16 sq metres).
It looks as it is on the picture - made from plastic, clean and simple design.