4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish mood light
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:33 Mins
Unlike previous versions the livingcolors iris has a fixed power lead, approx. 1.8m long, terminated in a UK power adapter. A basic Quick Start Guide is supplied, with the full manual being available on the Philips website.
Published on 22 Oct 2012 by L Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the great things of the Gen 2 are gone in the Gen 3
I've a number of living colour devices and I've recently added a Gen 3 Iris lamp. The Gen 3 device feels cheaper.

Published 22 months ago by C. Pitchford

4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish mood light, 22 Oct 2012
L Williams "les-williams" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 2:33 Mins

Light output is given as 210 lumens which, I think, is roughly equivalent to a 25W incandescent bulb. The unit is supplied with a circular remote control which controls the on-off, colour, brightness and intensity (saturation); there are also 2 favourite preset buttons which can be used to set a colour, brightness and intensity.
A white light is available by reducing the intensity (saturation). There is an option for an automatic colour change and you can vary the speed of the change by rotating the colour wheel, according to Philips there are 20 steps; because there is a slow colour change it is hard to say how long the lamp stays on one colour but at the slowest it appears to be several minutes.
According to Philips you can link several livingcolor iris units to one remote control and also link remote control units together.
In the video I've tried to show some of the features. It is well made and comes with a 2 year warranty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the great things of the Gen 2 are gone in the Gen 3, 8 Dec 2012
C. Pitchford (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The power adapter is wired in. this makes it impossible to thread the cable through a wall conduit or a hole in cabinet/desk, unlike the gen 2 in which the power adapter connected via a plug on the bottom of the device. This is a real cheap move by Phillips. I personally detest fixed power cables.. scrimping on a plug and socket is just rude!

The remote control feels cheap compared to the gen2 round control.

Gen 3 round control: 2 pre-sets only, colour is set via turning mechnical wheel to cycle though colours, cannot control lamps individually
Gen 2 round control: 3 pre-sets, colour can be set instantly by touching the selected colour, can control all or individual lamps.

The gen 2 round control will control this gen 3 lamp as well, so its not a problem if you already have a gen 2 device but its a bit of a let down if you only have gen 3 devices.. not being able to set colours individually from a single remote is a bit lame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Philips LivingColors Iris Colour Changing Mood Light Clear (Integrated 1 x 10 Watts LED Bulb, Remote Control) (Kitchen & Home)
I would recomment this to anyone, I have bought 2, To be honest I have not tried any of the competitors at cheaper prices but i feel this is bang on what its worth. There is no setup its literally just plug in mains and spin the remote to whatever colour you want. It has a brightness setting so you can dim it as low as you want to and there is a colour setting so you can have the colours as bold or weak as you want, I put this behind my TV and have it on full beam, It lights up the entire room and makes the wall its pointing at glow very nicely as whatever colour i choose The wall is 3M long so its quite a large wall. I bought this just as an entertaining toy for house parties and to get rid of eye strain during long computer gaming sessions and it works perfectly for both options. To be completely honest this has replaced the actual light in the room I dont even touch the light switch anymore i just grab the remote and pick a colour (I recommend a dark orange on the lowest brightness setting its beautiful). There is 2 negatives I can think of, the price obviously, would be nice if it was about £50 and the angle at which it sits, Its sits and points at about 45 degrees so you have to put it a few feet away from the walls which can be impractical at times, but I just balanced it in a way that it sits behind my TV pointing 90 degrees upwards and I have no issues with it really. Oh and if you think your going to get a detailed instruction manual forget it, The pictures and instructions make no sense whatsoever so I just threw it away and played around with it for an hour until i got the hang of it.

Last detail people might want to know is can it change colours automatically the short answer yes but you wont use that setting, Its pointless and kind of annoying, You end up just picking one colour and sticking to it until you get bored

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and retro mood lighting, 24 July 2013
Just love this lamp, don't know what I did without it, and even my 3year old can set the colours to her favourite its so easy to use and great glow from reflection on a white or cream coloured wall. Small footprint also makes it easy to place on a small corner table or floor. Nice to be able to bring the sunset into your room in the evening after glow and lower it for the spooky movie without getting off couch. Very happy with its stylish and retro look fits right into contemporary or old style living room. Would like more than 2 colour presets but can you dial your colour like a classic ipod thumbwheel in a flash so not a show stopper. Would recommend it to anyone who uses lamps and likes to control their room mood from the couch.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to cuddle it when I fall alseep, 31 Jan 2014
I love this. I knew I loved this when I saw it in a shop, and my boyfriend told me it was a stupid waste of money. I remembered a few months later and grabbed it on Amazon. Now it lights up our dining room every night, in fantastic colours (more often than not, he is the one turning it on and playing with the colours).

My only complaint? I don't have enough of these. I want more. It's so beautiful I want more of them throughout my flat. Or many in one room with different colours? Oooh imagine that? Maybe I will buy a couple more right now...

BUY IT. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars One cool device, 21 Oct 2012
SpecialOrder937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted this lamp to provide backlighting behind a TV (in a dimly-lit room a backlit TV can apparently reduce eye strain), but I wasn't sure if it would work. Nowhere in Philips's tech specs did it mention how the remote operated; i.e. was it via infrared? If it was, the TV would block the remote's signal, stymieing the idea altogether. Fortunately, the remote operates using either Bluetooth or RF, so it works just fine without the lamp needing to be in a clear line of sight of it.

The remote can be a bit confusing at first. The colours are arranged in a ring around a dial. Intuitively, you'd think that turning the dial to the colour you want is all you need to do, but this results in hardly any change in colour at all. This is because it requires many 360° turns of the dial in order to cycle through the colours. The ring of colours on the remote should be viewed as an indicator of the order in which the colours change, not as an indicator of where you need to turn the dial. Once you understand this it's plain sailing, although it did confuse me at first (to the point where I thought the lamp was defective).

In operation, this is one cool device - literally. It doesn't get warm no matter how long you have it on. It's equally cool how easily you can change the colour, brightness and saturation of the light, store your favourite settings, or set it to automatically cycle through all of the available colours. The base of the device is a circle "cut out" of the lamp's semi-spherical shape, making it better suited to placement on a flat surface rather than carpet. This is hardly a deal-breaker though: if you want to place it on carpet just find something flat to place it on (a decent-sized coaster would do; the lamp's footprint really is very small).

This lamp is an excellent choice for backlighting a TV (the effect is quite stunning, even in daylight), or for providing a dash of mood-altering coloured light anywhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay-Good, 28 Sep 2013
The design is nice.
It works seamlessly.
And it is dead silent! (in comparison with the 'whining' Gen 2).
My downfalls are:
1. The purple colour is almost not there. It is WEAK! For example, when you scroll to red, it is bright and dense. When you continue to blue, same thing. But when you get to purple? It becomes SOOO pale, almost as though you played with the hue/saturation making it a pastel-ish colour (mixed with white) even though you do nothing on the remote and you are just scrolling through the colours. On the Gen2, the colours are better, denser, clearer, even the purple is amazing on the Gen2, as well as all the cyan, red, etc...
2. In terms of design & size? I prefer the Gen 2 as the bowl was bigger and there was no white strip of plastic at the top, so the Gen 2 was completely transparent. On the other hand this one is completely silent and no sound what so ever. Oh the remote is NOT as cool as the Gen 2 because with this one, you need to scroll to get a colour whereas with the Gen 2 SmartLink remote, you simply touch the colour and it works, AS WELL AS scrolling.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the light mood, 23 Oct 2012
pepemia (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A mood lamp has never been on the top ten of my must have lists , until I got one.
This mood lamp , is a good ample size and can be positioned on floors or on table / cabinet tops . It has a nice modern design , as does the very handy but small remote control . The remote control has a circle design , sadly white while the lamp is black it also takes 2 x AAA batteries not included . At first the instructions for working the remote are not to clear , just diagrams . But basically if you want to change the colour you have to keep rotating it several times . It is easy to turn on and off , and you can have it full beam or dimmed down .
It goes through a rainbow range of colours , however depending on your own wall colourings will alter . The full beam has a very good light and will easily light a living room .
The colors are very soothing and it creates a lovely , versatile environment . Although it was not something I would normally buy I really like it and have been using this instead of my normal lights . It's easily movable , creates several effects and I would definitely recommend one . This would be a lovely , unusual but welcome gift for someone in a new house or a wedding gift or treat yourself , I bet you will soon use it everyday like me .

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but Nicey, 22 Oct 2012
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some while ago we obtained our first Philips Living Colour Light, the Philips LivingColors Colour Changing Mood Lamp, with Remote Control, which we have always enjoyed very much. So it was that my family and I were keen to get the latest and updated version.

This new model seems essentially the same as regards the lighting capabilities, although the light output is 210 Lumens rather than the 120 of the earlier model, and there is to my mind little to choose between them. The glass of the football sized housing is perhaps a little lighter in weight and now sports a black band around the top but the main difference lies in the handset and the level of control it offers.

That said, the poorly designed User Guide, consisting as it does of one sheet of hard to read and ambiguous pictograms, make it very hard to fathom out exactly what it does. The old machine allowed a vast number of colours to be selected as well as scrolling seamlessly between them. Again as with the old model the remote control uses radio and so does not need line of sight to the lighting unit to function. In addition new handset also offers the ability to remember and instantly jump to two saved colours and sports a new design with a more positive physical control wheel with clicking progress indication and on/off function.

This is an attractive and stylish lighting unit that will add atmosphere to any room with a powerful light output that works best when angled against a plain wall.

The Good
Striking lighting effects can be achieved
One remote can be used to control multiple linked lights
Higher light output than earlier models
RF remote control

The Bad
User guide is hard to follow
Use of the remote control is non intuitive
Expensive
Positioning the top heavy light can be difficult on certain surfaces

5.0 out of 5 stars This really does alter the mood, 6 Jan 2014
A similar model had been seen by me in a flat of a friend and was recommended to me.Now I have one the changing lights in my lounge make so much difference to all in the room,as did that of my friend