4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish mood light
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:33 Mins
Unlike previous versions the livingcolors iris has a fixed power lead, approx. 1.8m long, terminated in a UK power adapter. A basic Quick Start Guide is supplied, with the full manual being available on the Philips website.
Published 23 months ago by L Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the great things of the Gen 2 are gone in the Gen 3
I've a number of living colour devices and I've recently added a Gen 3 Iris lamp. The Gen 3 device feels cheaper.

Published 21 months ago by C. Pitchford

4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish mood light, 22 Oct 2012
L Williams "les-williams" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 2:33 Mins

Light output is given as 210 lumens which, I think, is roughly equivalent to a 25W incandescent bulb. The unit is supplied with a circular remote control which controls the on-off, colour, brightness and intensity (saturation); there are also 2 favourite preset buttons which can be used to set a colour, brightness and intensity.
A white light is available by reducing the intensity (saturation). There is an option for an automatic colour change and you can vary the speed of the change by rotating the colour wheel, according to Philips there are 20 steps; because there is a slow colour change it is hard to say how long the lamp stays on one colour but at the slowest it appears to be several minutes.
According to Philips you can link several livingcolor iris units to one remote control and also link remote control units together.
In the video I've tried to show some of the features. It is well made and comes with a 2 year warranty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the great things of the Gen 2 are gone in the Gen 3, 8 Dec 2012
C. Pitchford (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The power adapter is wired in. this makes it impossible to thread the cable through a wall conduit or a hole in cabinet/desk, unlike the gen 2 in which the power adapter connected via a plug on the bottom of the device. This is a real cheap move by Phillips. I personally detest fixed power cables.. scrimping on a plug and socket is just rude!

The remote control feels cheap compared to the gen2 round control.

Gen 3 round control: 2 pre-sets only, colour is set via turning mechnical wheel to cycle though colours, cannot control lamps individually
Gen 2 round control: 3 pre-sets, colour can be set instantly by touching the selected colour, can control all or individual lamps.

The gen 2 round control will control this gen 3 lamp as well, so its not a problem if you already have a gen 2 device but its a bit of a let down if you only have gen 3 devices.. not being able to set colours individually from a single remote is a bit lame.

5.0 out of 5 stars One cool device, 21 Oct 2012
SpecialOrder937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted this lamp to provide backlighting behind a TV (in a dimly-lit room a backlit TV can apparently reduce eye strain), but I wasn't sure if it would work. Nowhere in Philips's tech specs did it mention how the remote operated; i.e. was it via infrared? If it was, the TV would block the remote's signal, stymieing the idea altogether. Fortunately, the remote operates using either Bluetooth or RF, so it works just fine without the lamp needing to be in a clear line of sight of it.

The remote can be a bit confusing at first. The colours are arranged in a ring around a dial. Intuitively, you'd think that turning the dial to the colour you want is all you need to do, but this results in hardly any change in colour at all. This is because it requires many 360° turns of the dial in order to cycle through the colours. The ring of colours on the remote should be viewed as an indicator of the order in which the colours change, not as an indicator of where you need to turn the dial. Once you understand this it's plain sailing, although it did confuse me at first (to the point where I thought the lamp was defective).

In operation, this is one cool device - literally. It doesn't get warm no matter how long you have it on. It's equally cool how easily you can change the colour, brightness and saturation of the light, store your favourite settings, or set it to automatically cycle through all of the available colours. The base of the device is a circle "cut out" of the lamp's semi-spherical shape, making it better suited to placement on a flat surface rather than carpet. This is hardly a deal-breaker though: if you want to place it on carpet just find something flat to place it on (a decent-sized coaster would do; the lamp's footprint really is very small).

This lamp is an excellent choice for backlighting a TV (the effect is quite stunning, even in daylight), or for providing a dash of mood-altering coloured light anywhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay-Good, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Philips LivingColors Iris Colour Changing Mood Light Clear (Integrated 1 x 10 Watts LED Bulb, Remote Control) (Kitchen & Home)
The design is nice.
It works seamlessly.
And it is dead silent! (in comparison with the 'whining' Gen 2).
My downfalls are:
1. The purple colour is almost not there. It is WEAK! For example, when you scroll to red, it is bright and dense. When you continue to blue, same thing. But when you get to purple? It becomes SOOO pale, almost as though you played with the hue/saturation making it a pastel-ish colour (mixed with white) even though you do nothing on the remote and you are just scrolling through the colours. On the Gen2, the colours are better, denser, clearer, even the purple is amazing on the Gen2, as well as all the cyan, red, etc...
2. In terms of design & size? I prefer the Gen 2 as the bowl was bigger and there was no white strip of plastic at the top, so the Gen 2 was completely transparent. On the other hand this one is completely silent and no sound what so ever. Oh the remote is NOT as cool as the Gen 2 because with this one, you need to scroll to get a colour whereas with the Gen 2 SmartLink remote, you simply touch the colour and it works, AS WELL AS scrolling.

5.0 out of 5 stars bad boy, romantic moments, 24 Aug 2014
This light has changed my room. Lightweight but solidly standing still. Brake faces is about 50 degrees upwards.

The color combination

With the saturation and color tone, you can set the mood for a quiet soul, charming girl, bad boy, romantic moments, little relaxation or neutrality.

Aesthetics

Suitable for dark and bright areas. Elegant and modern style lamp. There are no sharp edges. It's not easy to break. My light had contact with the child:)

Other

It's easy to clean. It occupies little space. You can put on the floor, cabinet, window sill or in any room. The remote control works up from 10 yards. And last thing - It doesn't have a timer setting.

I would highly recommend it!

Ta lampka zmieniła mój pokój. Lekka ale solidnie stoi w miejscu. Tarcza zwrócona jest około 50 stopni ku górze.

Kombinacja kolorów

Dzięki nasyceniu i tonacji kolorów, możesz stworzyć nastrój dla spokojnej duszy, uroczej dziewczynki, niegrzecznego chłopca, romantycznych chwil, odrobiny relaksu czy też neutralności. Do wyboru, do koloru;)

Estetyka

Pasuje do ciemnych i jasnych pomieszczeń. Elegancki i nowoczesny styl lampy. Nie ma ostrych kantów. Nie psuje się tak łatwo. Moja lampka miała kontakt z dzieckiem:)

Inne

Łatwo się czyści. Zajmuje mało miejsca. Można postawić na podłodze, na szafce, parapecie, w każdym pomieszczeniu. Pilot działa nawet z 10 metrów.

Serdecznie polecam!

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to cuddle it when I fall alseep, 31 Jan 2014
I love this. I knew I loved this when I saw it in a shop, and my boyfriend told me it was a stupid waste of money. I remembered a few months later and grabbed it on Amazon. Now it lights up our dining room every night, in fantastic colours (more often than not, he is the one turning it on and playing with the colours).

My only complaint? I don't have enough of these. I want more. It's so beautiful I want more of them throughout my flat. Or many in one room with different colours? Oooh imagine that? Maybe I will buy a couple more right now...

BUY IT. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really does alter the mood, 6 Jan 2014
A similar model had been seen by me in a flat of a friend and was recommended to me.Now I have one the changing lights in my lounge make so much difference to all in the room,as did that of my friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jan 2014
I would recomment this to anyone, I have bought 2, To be honest I have not tried any of the competitors at cheaper prices but i feel this is bang on what its worth. There is no setup its literally just plug in mains and spin the remote to whatever colour you want. It has a brightness setting so you can dim it as low as you want to and there is a colour setting so you can have the colours as bold or weak as you want, I put this behind my TV and have it on full beam, It lights up the entire room and makes the wall its pointing at glow very nicely as whatever colour i choose The wall is 3M long so its quite a large wall. I bought this just as an entertaining toy for house parties and to get rid of eye strain during long computer gaming sessions and it works perfectly for both options. To be completely honest this has replaced the actual light in the room I dont even touch the light switch anymore i just grab the remote and pick a colour (I recommend a dark orange on the lowest brightness setting its beautiful). There is 2 negatives I can think of, the price obviously, would be nice if it was about £50 and the angle at which it sits, Its sits and points at about 45 degrees so you have to put it a few feet away from the walls which can be impractical at times, but I just balanced it in a way that it sits behind my TV pointing 90 degrees upwards and I have no issues with it really. Oh and if you think your going to get a detailed instruction manual forget it, The pictures and instructions make no sense whatsoever so I just threw it away and played around with it for an hour until i got the hang of it.

Last detail people might want to know is can it change colours automatically the short answer yes but you wont use that setting, Its pointless and kind of annoying, You end up just picking one colour and sticking to it until you get bored

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 19 Dec 2013
Ok, so not a big one for writing reviews, but thought this product was worth a positive review.

I read the reviews on here and while I agree with some (in fact most), just to clarify a few things. The biggest problem that has been reviewed about is the remote control being fiddly to work out. I did not find this the case. I am a huge gadget fan and you only have to have a play for a bit and it is pretty much self explanatory. Top and bottom buttons makes it brighter or darker, left and right buttons means more colour or less. If you want you just turn the dial to get the colour you want. I've never had the gen 2 or 1 of these, so I'm just looking at it from a brand new concept rather than from someone who has ordered an updated one.

I'm photophobic which basically means I have a few problems with both artificial and natural light, it has a tendency to bring on a migraine if I am exposed with too much of either, especially when the light is bright. With this in mind, I did read a lot of the reviews and thought, this is a really good idea as I am in total control of the amount of light I want. If I want to read a book in the evenings (especially in the winter months) I can adjust the amount of the colour it shines to less of a pinky hew (which I have to admit I quite like) or if I just want to crawl up on the sofa to watch TV then I just make it a bit more pink / red which then gives a nice ambience in the room. I don't have white walls, but again I've not found this too much of a problem you can just play around until you get the amount of colour or light you want.

Hope this has been of some help to anyone looking at this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and retro mood lighting, 24 July 2013
Just love this lamp, don't know what I did without it, and even my 3year old can set the colours to her favourite its so easy to use and great glow from reflection on a white or cream coloured wall. Small footprint also makes it easy to place on a small corner table or floor. Nice to be able to bring the sunset into your room in the evening after glow and lower it for the spooky movie without getting off couch. Very happy with its stylish and retro look fits right into contemporary or old style living room. Would like more than 2 colour presets but can you dial your colour like a classic ipod thumbwheel in a flash so not a show stopper. Would recommend it to anyone who uses lamps and likes to control their room mood from the couch.