Supertramp: Live In Paris '79 [DVD] [2012] [NTSC]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£8.92+£1.26shipping

on 12 September 2012
Finally I get to see the concert i've only been able to listen to these past 33yrs. One of the best live albums ever released. And it's been cranked up a notch with the release of this Blu Ray. The sound on the Blu Ray has been wonderfully remixed & it sounds fantastic. The film itself has been made to look really good considering it's age & the poor state it was found in. Only very occasionally are you reminded that it's well over 30yrs old. This is Supertramp in their pomp & all the hits are here. Any Supertramp fan should pick up a copy of this & sit back, crank up the volume & enjoy. This release has been too long in coming. Was it worth the wait...hell yes!!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 September 2012
Supertramp was the soundtrack to my youth, to my high school years. i was 7 years old when the Paris album was released. I never new that 6 years later it would be such an important part of my life!
I like many fans, joined the Facebook group "We want the Supertramp Paris DVD released" a couple of years ago, never imagining that something would actually come out. So my thanks go out not only to the band but also to those who initiated the Facebook group.
Although some bickering has gone around between Rick & Roger (and Others) in connection with this release. I must give them some recognition foro being able to bury the hatchet - at least for a few moments and actually authorize this release. Despite the fact that, Roger actually questions the fact that "he" authorised the release, the truth is that this could never have come out with his approval. So thank you Rog, Rick, John, Dougie and Bob.
Enough sideline comments and lets get into the substance: the sound is great, the quality of the image is great (considering what the actual film went through in Bob's barn before it was found) and it's easy to get a feeling you were actually there. What else can you ask for?
The recording was made in the adecember 1st show; therefore, those familiar with the album will easily appreciate that some of the recordings in this show do not match the tracks in the album, which seems to have been made up from recordings over several nights (and, of course, I am sure there were a few overdubs in the album that also make the difference with the DVD).
There were a few songs that didn't make it in the video because they were never recorded on camera, namely: A soapbox opera, Downstream, From Now On, You started laughing and Ain't nobody but me. The production team decided to put these songs as bonus material together with some special animation, which I personally found appalling; I'm sure they had very good intentions, however, a slideshow with pictures from the show and the tour, as well as from the album sleeve, with the missing tunes played in the background would have been enough (and cheaper too!).
All in all, it's difficult not to give a five-star rating.
So, sit down in your favorite couch, serve yourself a glass of your favorite French wine, move the volume knob "up to eleven" and say: Bon soir Paris! (....you'll have to say it, as John A Helliwell's famous line unfortunately is not featured in the video).
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 September 2012
...and boy have we waited! I remember wearing out my Supertramp tapes in our old family Alfasud and on my old Toshiba walkman. Listening to classic Supertramp tracks can unlock very precious memories for me. So what of this concert? Much has been made of "at their peak" - all I can say if this wasn't their peak then the peak must've been at god level because frankly the musicianship and sheer ability to recreate such classic songs as demonstrated here is exemplary. This is 1979, it's all analog, no samplers but the band demonstrate just what a cohesive and full sound 5 people at the very top of their game can make. Moments of this DVD make my hairs stand on end. Can't comment on 5.1 - I'm listening on a Yamaha 2.1 set-up and it sounds fabulous.

John Helliwell is the band jester and is clearly enjoying the show interjecting with possibly the most cheesey intros to songs ever but it's all good natured.

Neither Rick Davies nor Roger Hodgson would ever reach the creative heights of what they achieved in Supertramp after going solo. This is a fantastic testament to a superbly original band - and I'm going to say it - at their peak. Imensely enjoyable and an essential element of any Supertramp fans collection.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 December 2012
In 1974 as a mere boy of 16 I heard Supertramps 'Crime Of The Century' LP for the first time & it
fast became one on my favourite albums that year (along with Eric Clapton's '461 Ocean Boulevard' & Queens 'Sheer Heart Attack') & remains a firm favourite to this day.

So you can imagine my excitment when I heard of this recently released `Live In Paris '79' DVD by Supertramp. Given the film technology of the day, is simply marvellous. OK, some of the band `long shot' footage looks a bit grainy & out of focus, but the `close up' footage is brilliant. Although great care has been taken in remastering the film footage, where this DVD really scores is in the audio remastering, which makes this DVD a must buy for any serious fan of Supertramp.

The song track list is fantastic, taking all the hit songs & more up to that point of time in 1979, including many from the fore mentioned `Crime Of The Century' LP, with some nice bonus material as well.

Highly recommended release & the NTSC format DCD played on my DVD player without a hitch.
on 29 September 2012
Since the LP release in 1980, Supertramp fans wanted to see how this amazing show was live. The curiosity only grew during all these years and even more when everybody knew that it was recorded in video. Only a few thousand of lucky fans that was at Pavillon de Paris had the chance to know it. And finally now all the world also have. The show would not be better: all the classics played at Supertramp's best, with the Roger Hodgson's psychedelic wah-wah guitar, Rick Davies' astounding piano solos, and John Helliwell doing an excellent work as the MC with his very characteristic and catchy humor. This DVD is recorded in high-definition and the audio had a impressive quality. They really did a great work restauring the tapes. Even being a great Supertramp fan, I recommend you to buy this DVD. Or else, if you can, buy the blu-ray. Both have a great quality. If there's a show for you to start to love Supertramp, this is the show.
on 21 August 2012
TRACKLIST
1) School 2) Bloody Well Right 3) The Logical Song 4) Goodbye Stranger 5) Breakfast In America 6) Hide In Your Shell 7) Asylum 8) Even In The Quietest Moments 9) Give A Little Bit 10) Dreamer 11) Rudy 12) Take The Long Way Home 13) Another Man's Woman 14) Child Of Vision 15) Fool's Overture 16) Two Of Us 17) Crime Of The Century ' Credits music 'From Now On'

I've been fortunate to see a couple of preview tracks and this Blu-ray promises to deliver what all Supertramp fans have wanted to see since the 1979 World tour. As Supertramp have said Crime Of The Century marked their creative pinnacle and Breakfast In America marked their commercial pinnacle. Filmed in the months after the release of Breakfast in America this concert captures the classic line-up with Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies bringing together their rich talents to form the nucleus of what many regard as one of the best ever British rock groups. Sadly, the early 1980s marked the eventual parting of the ways between Roger and the rest of the group and things were never the same for Supertramp after Hodgson's departure. Therefore this concert represents Supertramp at their best.

Although the Paris concert was filmed and recorded on 1st December 1979, it wasn't until July 2006 that the original master tapes of the album were rediscovered in the barn of the band's drummer Bob Siebenberg, along with video footage, not seen since the time of recording. The tapes were sent to Cups 'N Strings Studios in Santa Monica, California, for digital remastering. The tapes were initially in bad technical shape, but were successfully transferred. The video was sent to Peter Clifton, the creator of Led Zeppelin's 1973 concert film The Song Remains the Same, in New Zealand, for further editing. To read more about the discovery and restoration of the original film and audio master tape check out this link from 2006 when the restoration project started on this release:[...]

It is amazing to learn that "the condition of these tapes was appalling," according to Russel Pope, who co-produced the original project with Peter Henderson, the live engineer for the Paris concerts. "And the film footage has been sitting in the vaults since the day it was shot. Everything was stashed away and now it's all being reassembled... The 2-inch analog tape masters were a bio-hazard. They were covered with cow dung. We cleaned them up as best we could before putting them in the convection oven for baking, which produced some very penetrating odors. Luckily, we were able to salvage all of the tapes and transfer them successfully to Pro Tools" according to Bruce Maddocks, chief engineer at Cups N' Strings Studios.

Given the age of the film, this disc has great picture quality (restored from the original 16mm stock film) and an amazing 5.1 surround sound mix undertaken by Supertramp's Peter Henderson and the original sound engineer, Russel Pope, from the original multi-tracks and both the DVD and Blu-ray contain the soundtrack in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound (although the Blu-ray sound is uncompressed).

To quote Supertramp's former manager, Dave Margereson: "Finally released after all this time, the only footage of Supertramp at their very best. For me, as their old manager, watching the film was like coming home, any bitter-sweet memories from the intervening years swept away as I was transported back to that special band and those special concerts of 1979...Man, they really were that good!"

Note: Since posting this review Roger Hodgson has issued the following statement:

"Dear friends and fans,

Many of you have asked me about the status of the Paris DVD, so I wanted to write to you directly with the latest news. Unfortunately many laws, both legal and moral, were broken and the Paris DVD is now about to be put out using illegal and unethical methods. It is now in the hands of attorneys to resolve the legal dispute between the publishing company and the labels. I don't know which side will win, yet what I've learned in the music business, it's usually whichever attorneys have the most funding, not necessarily the ones who are in the right.

What Eagle Rock and John, Bob and Dougie (who are calling themselves "the Supertramp Partnership") are trying to do is to take away our songwriters rights. Legally, a label needs songwriters' and publisher's approval to put this type of product out and instead they are twisting some kind of legal loophole trying to say they don't need the required licenses. Songwriters are given legal rights and yet in the industry, they are getting ripped off in all kinds of ways and if this goes through, it is going to make things even more difficult for songwriters. What they are trying to do in claiming they can take away the songwriters and publishing rights could make it possible for other labels to do this to other songwriters in the future.

An attorney friend of mine who has been in the music industry 40 years who is also a publisher and has worked a lot with the Beatles catalog said he has never heard of anyone doing this in the music business - for a label to try to put out a DVD without the publishing company and songwriter's approval. This whole issue is much bigger than this one DVD. They are not only trying to take away rights from Rick and myself as songwriters, they are affecting the rights of songwriters all over the world with what they are trying to do.

Back in the spring and summer of 2011, I was working with the band and Eagle in a spirit of cooperation to release the Paris DVD. I spent many, many hours reviewing and giving artistic feedback and edits - and this was only at the very beginning of putting together the DVD. There were many things I compromised on, yet we told them I would give my songwriters approval and other rights that I have as a founding member of Supertramp as long as they incorporated the minimal things I asked for - and that they agreed to in writing and then I heard nothing else about it.

Last summer we were told that the DVD was shelved because of whatever quality issues Rick had with it, he did not approve of the release. And we were told Eagle would not release the DVD until they got approval from the publishing company, who represent the songwriters - so I thought the project was dead. Then a few weeks ago I found out the band guys had been working on the DVD all this time secretly behind my back, completely violating the spirit of cooperation I had been in with them up until then.

The only reason I even received a copy was because a fan let me know it was coming out and I asked Eagle to send me one, which I received just a few days ago - after it has already been shipped to distributors. I was shocked receiving the DVD completely manufactured and shrink wrapped before I'd even seen it! There is a whole montage of pictures, bonus materials and liner notes which I have never seen and have never been given the opportunity to comment on. They are putting out a product that is supposed to be representing all five of us, and it's not. It is only representing the three of them.

Bob, John and Dougie are representing themselves to Eagle as the `Supertramp partnership' and the contract is just between the three of them and Eagle. Whether you are a Rick fan or a Roger fan or both, I feel all fans would agree that it's not right for the three non-songwriters to control the Supertramp catalog, claiming I have no artistic voice, no input, no say at all in the creation of any Supertramp products, and yet they want to use my performances, my image and likeness and my songs.

To have received this DVD all packaged at the very last minute feels very out of integrity. They have not kept their agreements and have not honored my artistic, creative, technical or editorial inputs at all. For example, I wanted the songs to have correct writer's credit and for it to be delineated who wrote which songs. And instead they have gone so far as to completely bury who the songwriters are from the public. There is no credit being given to the songwriters or the publishers on the packaging or the film yet credit is being given to the merchandisers, the trucking company and who dressed up in a monkey suit. They don't list the songwriters at all, giving the illusion to the public that Supertramp wrote the songs, which is not true at all. And they know how important it has been to me as a songwriter to have my songs delineated. That is the only thing that I had to help me continue on with my career beyond Supertramp.

I know the three of them are going to say they are doing it for the fans, but that is not what is really going on. If they were really thinking about the fans, they would know that fans would want me to have input on the DVD. This isn't about the fans or about the music. This DVD is about a power play, it's about money, control, envy and underhanded music business tactics and I want nothing to do with it.

For me I truly was getting involved because so many of you have said you wanted a DVD from one of the concerts when I was with the band. And I hope you can understand that while I always wanted something like this out there, I cannot approve of a product that is created with this kind of manipulation and deceit because I believe that the energy and where you come from when you create something is very important.

The other reason I wanted to work on the DVD was to ensure that all five members could share their experiences from that tour, and I wanted to make sure it would be the best quality product possible. Unfortunately, I also cannot endorse the DVD because of its technical shortcomings, editorial inaccuracies and poor quality.

So I don't want any fans out there to be fooled, and for anyone who decides to buy the DVD, I wanted you to know this DVD was created out of very questionable legal maneuvering. The band that you see playing on the DVD has not existed for 30 years. Now it's all about business and the business part of music can be ruthless and backstabbing, just as any other business can be. That is one of the reasons I left LA and wanted to get out of the music business all those years ago. It's not how I want to live my life and it's not why I do music.

This is one of the reasons that I'm happier now than I ever have been touring the way I'm touring - not caught up in the music industry and all the ugly parts of the business. No record label owns me, no publisher owns me, no managers own me, no agents own me. I can stay true to myself and tour when I want, how I want. I can play to 3000 or 85,000 or anywhere in between - I'm ok not playing huge arenas anymore, it's about playing music to help make people happy, it doesn't matter what size the audience is.

I became a musician when I was 12. It's what I love to do and it's what I'm good at. And I will continue for as long as I can travelling around the world doing concerts. For me, one of the most important things as an artist is to play music for the art, for the magic that's possible with music to help lift people's spirits, help open their hearts to receive some healing and relief from all the troubles in this world.

I want to keep this Paris DVD issue separate from what I've been striving for all these years as an artist, my reasons for touring and playing music. I know many of you wanted to know my thoughts about the Paris DVD, so that is why I'm just sending this to the fan sites and you're welcome to leave any comments there on the sites.

For something more positive and uplifting, you can visit my Facebook or website guestbook and read some really amazing and touching stories from fans around the world. I so appreciate you all and am fully aware that if it wasn't for you loving the music or my songs I wouldn't be out here performing like this. Reading your stories and experiences from the shows is my inspiration.

With love,
Roger"
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 September 2012
I have been a Supertramp since the mid 70's and saw the classic line - up at Plymouth ABC and Wembley Arena and have seen Rick ,John and Bob's Supertamp a few times and Roger both solo and with band......and will carrying on going to see them as long as they perform shows......This release will please all Supertramp fan's, it's taken almost 33 years for us to see it and yes, it's worth the wait....Peter Henderson and Russell Pope have done an amazing restoration job.
I have read Roger's 'rant' about this release and have to say that I just can't share his opinion this time......the DVD is fantastic, this is Supertramp at their very best, the quality of their musicianship is obvious and to describe them as well-drilled is a real understatement. Highly recommended.....
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 September 2012
I bought the album (vinyl) when it was released and wondered if a video would ever be available. I know there's been a bit of controversy over the release, but Roger and Rick need to realize that a DVD like this is the only way most of us will ever see the original lineup. Quality wise, the sound is really great. The video is very good, considering the technology available at the time. The only reason I've not given 5 stars is because of the missing video for the few songs included.
on 30 August 2012
I grew up listening to this band. This concert shows Supertramp at their absolute best and is a must-buy for anyone who appreciates their music. The 5.1 sound mix is superb and the picture quality is suprisingly good. It's very similar in quality to the Dire Straits Alchemy release from a couple of years ago.

In terms of the concert, it's hard to believe sometimes that there are just five musicians on stage.

I have to say though that it is massively frustrating being a Supertramp fan. This release has taken 32 years to appear despite numerous campaigns from the fans to get it released. Even now, there is wrangling amongst certain band members. I'm sorry, but fans like myself have made this band what they are today. Sometimes they have complete contempt for their fanbase and that annoys me immensely. Roger Hodgson is a very talented musician but appears to thrive on constantly whinging about some trivial matter. It's true that the band broke an agreement in performing his songs but it is slightly hyporcritical to then launch a "band" solo tour where he is the only recognisable member of Supertramp. If he wants to hear his songs performed in their proper context then he should never have left the band in '83 and he should put his differences with Rick aside and get back on stage or in the studio with the other members.

Ignore the writs and wrangles and buy this release.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 October 2012
Have been a Tramp fan since I was 13yrs old. Believe me that's a long time. Have seen them in concert many times, both with Roger and with out. Have seen roger by himself as we'll. in 83 Toronto CNE was awesome as was this concert in the video. Would have been great to be there. I only wish this video had extras such as interviews from band members and feed back from them. Would be great if they would all get bacteria together one more time because time is running out. They are not spring chickens you know but they could still put on a great show. Just seen Supertramp in London Ontario and it was really good. Just need the rest of the original members with Rick and Roger. The video is really good and any Tramp fan will enjoy it. Recommend