Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 10 July 2008
Really enjoyed the Devil Wears Prada and bought this for a long journey. Felt it was trying to be like Sex and the City but I did not like these women and could not care what happened to them. Just an excuse for dropping a lot of brand names and showing off a wealthy lifestyle. Can an intelligent woman really have a noisy upstairs neighbour and not try to resolve the problem in some way? I only finished it because I had nothing else available to read.
on 26 June 2008
I liked Devil Wears Prada movie (had not read book) so thought I would give book a go. But could just not get into this. The characters were so shallow and 1 sided. Are you not supposed to like the main characters in books like this? Adriana was the most awful, shallow, spoilt, self centered woman I have ever had the misfortune to read about. The other 2 main females were weak, shallow and not at all interesting or easy to relate to. Glad I don't know anyone like them! Hope next book is better.
on 7 April 2010
So badly written it is untrue. I enjoyed Devil Wears...., but while I knew this was not going to be the same I thought it would be as good. The characters were a pretty loathesome bunch, it was as if the author thought of every single designer name she could and then wove a story to mention them all.. Totally agree with early reviewer that it was trying (and failing dismally) to be like Sex in the City. Weak storylines, and completely irritating.
on 19 June 2008
After reading Everyone Worth Knowing I thought Lauren Weisberger was quite a good chick lit writer - even though I was incredibly bored by The Devil Wears Prada (both book and film). Having now read Chasing Harry Winston I realise Everyone Worth Knowing is an abberration - either than or this woman can only write a decent book every other time she tries it. The idea is a good one - but this book just doesn't deliver. The Brazilian character - Adriana - is an absolute diva who is more Jessica Rabbitt that reality, and incredibly unbelievable. I felt patronised reading about her. The other characters are weak and just on the border of believable. I suppose we can always hope that book #4 is more Everyone Worth Knowing and less like the other two? We can only wait and see...
on 22 February 2009
I bought this because I thought "Everyone worth knowing" was a fun, light read - and it was Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price at the airport, of course. Well, this is so light, it defeats every law Newton ever had in mind. I kept on reading, hoping that it might get better half way through, but it only gets worse, not to mention that the outcome is absolutely predictable from, like, page 5 on. It is written like a really cheap dime novel. Supple breasts anyone? They were in such ecstasy they couldn't tell their limbs apart...yadda yadda. This book totally insults your intelligence and is just about good enough to use as a doorstop. I'm afraid it's not absorbing enough to use as toilet paper.
on 9 June 2008
I was quite excited about this book when I bought it but have to say it was disappointing - I found the book hard to get into and didnt actually really get into it I just read it as I cant leave a book unfinished - even though I nearly did on numerous occasions with this one - I like a book thats easy to get into straight away and keeps you hooked - unfortunatey this book didnt do that - if you dont mind books that arent easy reading you may like this one as the actualy storyline is ok just not written in a good way .
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2011
I really enjoyed this book and am a little surprised at all the negative reviews here. This certainly isn't typical chick-lit: no ditzy girls, gay best friends, and charming men. Instead this is far more robust, and gives us three thirty year old New York women who yes, have man problems, but also have other discontents in their lives, specifically about their careers. By the end, nothing is easily resolved, some of them have far less materially than they started off with, and yet all have learned something about themselves and are happier - with or without wedding bells.

Weisberger creates women who we don't always like, but I prefer that edge of realism to the cute girls of some other authors. Adriana the Brazilian trust-fund girl is certainly the least successful of the three but, in some ways, hers is the most interesting story. Emmy has more than a touch of Sex & The City's Charlotte about her, but her story plays out in a very different way. And I enjoyed Leigh, with her anxiety and near OCD, and her dilemma: what do you do when you're engaged to the ideal man, the hero of every chick-lit novel out there, and you just can't fall in love with him back?

So overall this has all the trappings of chick-lit (yes, they are wealthy enough to wear Chanel and shop in Barney's) and yet the overall story actually undermines ideas of 'romance' as well as the pursuit of rich men and huge diamond rings (the 'Harry Winston' of the title). By the end all the women have changed their lives: but really not in the way we - and they - might have suspected. In summary, a fun yet thoughtful read.
on 6 October 2008
Previously (being about two third into the book) I gave this book 1 star.
Having finished it, I give it two stars.
The problem with this book is, that it takes way too long before you get to the good bit.
The characters are not very pleasant. At all.
Adriana is quite a witch with a B (not sure if I'm allowed to say the actual word here, probably not). She only cares about herself, and how beautiful she is. She can't understand why anybody in the world should get more attention then her. She lives on daddy's money, which she uses to buy the most useless things.
Leigh is very annoying. She has the perfect life, but can't manage to be happy about any part of it. She knows that, but still accepts when her boyfriend (who thinks she's madly in love with him) proposes to her.
She drags him along and I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor guy.
Emmy just got dumped by her boyfriend of 5 years. She's devestated even though he cheated on her the whole time (and she knew all about it) and never seemed to love her anyway.
She's obsessed with having a husband and lots of babies as quick as possible.
The girls make a pact.. Emmy will sleep with a man on every continent and Adriana will secure a four karat engagement ring from a rich guy.
Emmy can't seem to lighten up a bit, and Adriana seduces a rich and famous director, though she doesn't actually care about him, and doesn't even want to get married. She just thinks that being (almost) thirty, makes you really really old.
Leigh get's to edit the latest book of literary wonder Jesse Chapman, who get's under her skin.
The book is about 300 pages, and the first 200 (at least) are all about how the girls live their lives being annoying, sellfish and really unpleasant to read about.
Finally, at about page 220 or something, things lighten up, and I actually (finally) started enjoying the book.
I can never put a book away, but if I could, I would have done so already before getting to the nice bit. Which started only after alot of sighs and falling a sleep while reading.
I don't recommend this book, purely because it takes you 3 weeks to get through the first 200 and something pages because it's so boring, but if you've already started, I suggest you read it till the end.
Chick lit fans probably know all the anticipated plots; they may have seen them all and read them all. But, they definitely haven't heard them all until they give a listen to Lily Rabe's delicious reading of Chasing Harry Winston by The Devil Wears Prada author Lauren Weisberger.

A seasoned stage, televison and film actress Rabe gives added verve to this story of three glam New Yorkers approaching thirty and none too happy about it. Accomplished actress that she is Rabe easily shifts from voicing Emmy to Leigh to Adriana. Each of our heroines has distinctly different personalities, which are revealed by this actress's subtle switches in modulation and tone.

Despite dissimilarities in character this trio of women have remained steadfast friends since college days. But now as the inevitable 30 looms each decides it is time for a dramatic change and is determined to see it through.

Amiable and amenable Emmy is the culinary artist of the group. She'd make a perfect wife and mom but despite these obvious qualifications she has been dropped by Duncan whom she envisioned meeting at the altar. So, Emmy decides since faithfulness hadn't gotten her anywhere she'd play the field - a large field and have sex with a number of men until she finds the perfect one.

Leigh is the bookish type, a book editor who likes what she does and loves the man of her dreams, sportscaster Russell. However, when Leigh is assigned to edit the latest by the very attractive young married Jesse Chapman she finds that more than punctuation is involved.

Adriana is the predictable bombshell, daughter of wealthy Brazilian parents. She's been more than out and about, and thinks that perhaps the perfect man for her is a famous movie director. Well as they say you have to kiss a few frogs to find your prince.

With a Sex and the City backdrop Chasing Harry Winston offers a series of fun and fumbles in the search for true love - enjoy!

- Gail Cooke
on 6 June 2008
this was just awful, i could barely keep hold of the plot because there was way too much product placement than necessary. at some point there was perhaps a dig at emily giffin's something borrowed, but hey, her effort was much more better than this mess.