Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 12 October 2012
Top notch witty writing makes this autobiography a pleasure to read. Rod Stewart has had such a brilliant life and his book covers everything from his early days with the Jeff Beck Group and The Faces, all of the ladies in his life, childhood exploits, hobbies and family to his music career up until now. Packed with loads of stories, many which are simply hilarious, I would have thought any Rod fan or anyone just wanting to read a decent celeb memoir for that matter, will be delighted with this book - I certainly am, and I am sure it will be popped into many a stocking this Christmas.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2012
A must read for all Rod fans! A nice surprise to get the pictures at the end on my kindle.
on 25 June 2013
Read this on holiday with my iPod playing all the songs mentioned in the book. An excellent read. Well done.
on 8 November 2012
Having been a fan of Rod Stewart for many years I couldn't wait to read his Autobiography and I wasn't disappointed. I believe that Rod has given an honest 'warts and all' account of his life and his anecdotes about his time on the road as a rock star were extremely funny. For Rod Stewart fans this is a must to read but even if you're not this book is an interesting account of a man who has been in the music business for over forty years and is still performing and making albums.
on 12 October 2012
Gotta give Rod creditafter Keith Richards book this an entertaining and well written book, it's certainly more honest about his musical shortcomings than many other such books and when he writes about the (many) loves of his life he shows he has real respect and feelings for the more permanent fixtures in his life. All in all a book to enjoy if you are a fan or not
on 6 November 2013
I got this book because I had read some really good reviews. I am slightly disappointed because of them! Do not get me wrong this is an entertaining book written in an engaging cheeky chappie style and has its moments of amusement, I just found that for me there was a little too much leggy blond stories and to few music ones. I must admit I grew tired of often samey stories of meeting stunning blond, bedding stunning blond and dumping stunning blond for another stunning blond! I enjoyed the early days part of the book far more than the superstar status part of the book which is strangely how I am with his music as well.
on 23 June 2013
I've enjoyed his voice very much over the years, and wondered who he really was, a talented song stylist, a rock & roll hippie, Rod the Mod! Rod the Bod, Rod the tabloid twit, Rod the love Rat, the sensitive troubadour? Turns out he's all of these and many more, like most of us, he isn't all good or all bad,, but on the whole he seems to me to be a rounded man with a love of life and for his complicated family that suggests he's got his priorities right in the end. I'd like to know him, and I think he'd be a good mate, and I'm pretty picky on that score!
on 19 February 2015
The Hair.The Women.The Music.

Many things have been said about Rod Stewart over the years. In a career spanning five decades I guess it is hard not to have hit the headlines once or twice. Now you can read all about Rod Stewart in his new autobiography….and it is bloody good.

Much like the way Rod Stewart can sing a good story it is now apparent that he can also write one. Granted it is a story that he is an expert in because it was he who lived it. His story starts out with his humble beginnings, born just at the end of the war and sees his development from child to teen to man. This ‘warts and all’ account of his life is told in a very honest almost conversational way. Stewart has managed to talk to you in a way that makes you want to – indeed feel compelled to – read on. He doesn’t bog you down with this achievement or that award or how many records he has sold (although there are a few references to his success) however he gives you, rather generously, a guided tour into not only his life but the life of a rock star.

In a time that appears to have musicians incestuously flitting from band to band; and rock stars taking lovers left right and centre; and drugs being bandied around willy-nilly it is hard for someone who hasn’t lived that life to even imagine this world of decadence. Stewart’s simple style of ‘tell it like it was’ makes it seem so tangible and makes you feel a part of this magical scene. The most impressive thing about this account of this world is that he has made it seem microcosmic, just the everyday normal run of the mill events. To the reader these events are often mind-blowing.

Stewart talks candidly about his infidelities, acknowledging his faults and seems truly sorry for any pain he has caused (be warned some of these stories do have a mild blue streak). He is unashamedly honest. The autobiography is littered with miniature chapters which Stewart refers to as ‘Digressions’ – these colourful interludes are used well to break up some of the harder moments in the book such as dealing with his heartbreak, the loss of family or just to generally go off on a tangent unrelated to the last chapter. They add a sweet quality and texture to the story.

What is starkly refreshing about this book is that you get the general feeling of sincerity and gratitude. Stewart gives the impression of feeling genuinely blessed with his lot in life. He shows no sign of stopping and talks of an album release for 2013 but he also doesn’t seem to be angry about the passing of time or the fact that he is getting older. He just seems genuinely content. It is this tone that runs throughout the autobiography that made it such a pleasure to read.

So let Rod Stewart tell you his story in his own unique raspy voice.

Rod – The Autobiography is available now.

* Review originally published on Different Scene
on 15 February 2013
As a lifelong, long-suffering Rod Stewart fan, and as someone whose first record he ever bought was 'Every Picture Tells a Story', my wife decided to give me this for Christmas. The first thing to say is the book isn't going to win any Nobel prizes, but it is honestly written and appears to have been told in Rod's own words, not ghost written (or at least it doesn't read that way) and Rod does show that he has quite a good turn of phrase and can write a bit better than your average rock star. The overall impression you get of his life is that he has lived most of it as a randy adolescent up to the age of about 45, hurting quite a lot of people along the way in pursuit of his own pleasure. After that he starts to take stock of his life and make amends by settling down, first with Rachel Hunter, who gave him a bit of a reality check by dumping him, and then with Penny Lancaster who finally seems to have tamed him. He's a lucky chap and he knows it! Of course the book is much more than just that and gives quite a lot of insight into how his career as a singer has developed and survived over the last 4 to 5 decades. You'd think he must be a pretty shrewd judge to have lasted so long. However, one thing that does come through time and again in the book is what a terrible judge he is of his own music, rejecting some of his best songs in favour of inferior material, and then in the end being proved wrong. I think Rolling Stone once described him as being the biggest waste of a great voice in the history of rock music. I don't think I would go that far myself. Apart from a lot of substandard material there are also quite a lot of great songs along the way, and nearly always excellent covers of other artist's songs too. You can't help feeling that practically all his life has been just about luck, and everything coming out right in the end. The book is an easy and enjoyable read, and anyone who has pretty much grown up with Rod will appreciate this. It's nice to know that Rod's career appears to be on the up again with a new album of his own songs coming out later this year. Something to look forward to again after a mixed bag of material over the years.
on 29 December 2012
Let me explain.

I've loved Rod since I was 10, when Maggie May first came out. I've seen him in concert a fair few times and nearly died of hypothermia on at least 2 occasions (Wembley and Newcastle Football Ground) when the unseasonal midsummer rain caused speakers to blow, Status Quo to use hot water bottle on their fingers and Rod to slip.

Although I loved the book from an entertainment perspective - I don't think it paints a picture of the warm / charming person I've seen on I don't know how many interviews over the decade.

In being brutally honest about his loves, laddish behaviour in hotels and studios and so on he could have done with someone encouraging him to let others throw in some comments about some of his good I don't feel he paints himself in an entirely good light.

But 10 out of 10 for clearing up some of the rubbish that has been written about him over the years. Although, as someone who has been reading his press for decades, there wasn't much in here that was new.

But it's certainly amusing and it was interesting to read how many times he nearly chose the wrong song for the first single. Clearly the deft choices he always seemed to make, re his career, have sometimes been at the insistence of others.

And to those reviewers who focussed on the tax avoidance...are you telling me that you haven't noticed the Stones et al were doing exactly the same?

He's a national treasure.