on 24 February 2010
I am unabashedly giving this one five stars, which is strange, as there is a lot that raises my hackles in it. It's just that I don't care. My enjoyment runs completely roughshod over my poor hackles! It's dark, and fun, and fast-paced, and fun, and the stakes are higher than ever, and man, it's just so much *fun*.

I'm not sure that access to Niko as a point-of-view character does anything much to broaden or give us more insight into him. It's jarring ("whoa, wait, who's talking now? HE'S talking now?") and felt somewhat like a gimmick -- a necessary and effective one, as it turned out to be crucial to the plot that at some points the brothers do not each know what the other one is up to. But I would have liked a better glimpse into Niko's inner workings, his drives -- he's scrupulously noble, terribly deadly, and devoted to Cal above all else, but we already knew all that when Cal told us about it in the last few books, and Cal is funnier.

Still! Five stars!

Sophia is still cartoonish, however. The Auphe being unmitigated evil works fine; they are monsters, that's their job, and that's a perfectly valid plot function in fantasy. But Sophia...okay. People can be evil. People can be downright marred and sociopathic. Sometimes there's not even a reason for it -- it's like an illness, and they don't even have the excuse of delusion, of thinking that they're on the "right" side. But even the worst villainous people are human beings. They crave SOMETHING, comfort, attention, safety. They justify themselves to themselves. They create scenarios in which they are the righteous ones, or if not that, then at least the *smart* ones. So what made Sophia into Sophia? How did she justify that cr*p to herself? What made her hate her own kids, even the fully-human one? (I'm not saying it can't happen, and frankly it's quite easy to imagine her resentment at being the mom of a half-monster child *and* being left to raise the thing after all the imposition of such a pregnancy. But...that's not canon; don't make me tell *myself* that part of the story!)

(Did I mention, five stars?)

I realize we only get Cal's (and now Niko's) point of view, and theirs is not necessarily going to bridge us to hers; we're limited by their lack of knowledge. But that brings me to another point. Their *surety* strikes me as strange. They have no problems calling her a "b----." Not even out of anger or emotion -- it is simply an accepted fact of life that she is a "b----," completely free of any good or competent deeds whatsoever, and worthy of contempt and hate. Almost like a creature whose evil is indeed supernatural, and part and parcel of their nature. There's no uncertainty in the boys? Not a single instance of wondering "Why doesn't mom love me? Was it my fault?" She never once in all those years confused them, or even scared them, by a weirdly gentle gesture -- making them a large meal one day (even if the meal was cold or nasty) or bringing home a toy (even if defective or inappropriate) or patting them on the head (even if just because Cal's hair was messy and annoyed her)? Cal, and even Niko, are not that old -- Cal's barely 20 and Niko is 24 -- that sort of uncertainty can last until old old age. I'm not looking for whininess or them leaping to defend her, just some indication of mixed, complicated, realistic feelings. I can't believe that Sophia, if human, just spontaneously became gross one day. (It's not like breeding with an Auphe has been presented as fun times, either. Sounds pretty painful and horrible, and even normal surrogacy isn't EASY. How desperate was that woman? My god. I would love some indication of what made her DO that, and then refrain from leaving Cal by the roadside when it was all done and/or killing herself. They drove Cal *catatonic* and he has half their DNA.)

Unlike even Thurman's trolls, demons, and bridge monsters, who fight for their young, or enjoy riddle games, or are curious about the minds of the victims they absorb, Sophia is completely ruled by her villainy, or shown to us only through a prism of her villainy. She never has a lapse or a motive. The downright inhuman bad guys get to be more "human" than the bad girl, more complex, and ultimately more interesting.

I am less bothered by Sophia in this book because at least the other female characters have acquired a few layers. Georgia and Promise didn't really have any, before; all the intricate characterization went to men (mainly Goodfellow and Cal). The girls were both invariably wonderful -- Georgia being wonderful and precociously wise, Promise being wonderful and mysteriously sexy and reservedly dangerous -- but essentially "love interest" placeholders. (Werewolf Girl, however, has always been great.) There is more to the pair of them in this book, and I'm glad, so perhaps there will be more to Sophia in later volumes as well. I look forward to that.

All that said, I love this book. There is such an exuberant quality to the writing, a sense that the author is having a blast writing it and enjoys spending time in her characters' company. Therefore, I enjoy spending time in their company. It's hard work to make it look so easy, so kudos to Rob Thurman and I hope to see a lot more.
on 24 October 2012
It will come as no surprise to anyone who's read any of my previous reviews of the Cal Leandros books that I really like this series. Deathwish was no different, in fact I would go as far as to say it was my favourite installment yet.

After the massive cliffhanger at the end of the previous novel, when the Auphe come back in force, I was dying to get my hands on this book. And it doesn't disappoint. The Auphe are one of my favourite villians, and there return can only be a good thing (unless you're a character in this novel, of course, in which case it's most definitely NOT a good thing)

In the previous book in the series we learnt all about Robin's background, as a bit of a subplot. This time around it is Promise's past that gets slowly revealed to us through several of the subplots. And speaking of subplots in this novel there is so much going on, two main plotlines with so many other minor plots going on, it was really good. Seamus, the Vigil, Oshossi, so much.

There is a bit of a change from previous books in that the narration is no longer just from Cal, but regularly switches between Cal and Niko. This was a bit distracting, and detracted a little from my overall enjoyment. Not enough to give it four stars, but nearly.

One of the great things about this series is the way the characters progress as the series goes on. Robin is still suffering from the events in the last book. Promise and Niko's relationship is examined and put to the test in this novel. Events actually have an impact on the characters in the future. It's rewarding for the reader to be able to watch the characters grow as the series goes on.

Read this series in order, you won't regret it.

P.S. A word of caution, at the end of the book there is a preview of Doubletake (Cal Leandros 7) at the end of the kindle edition (not sure about the paperback edition) which I wrongly assumed would be the next book in the series, it's not, it's the 7th book. I started reading this to get a taster of what was coming next and read a couple of spoilers. I would advise against reading this.
on 24 January 2012
I wonder now under what rock I have been living during the past couple of years that I discovered this series only two weeks ago.

I teared up, and more than once. Compared to 'Madhouse', I find 'Deathwish' a completely different book in quality, coherence and climax. Where all these points made me consider 'Madhouse' to be the one I liked least of the series, it makes 'Deathwish' the best.

The story worked and delivered in more than I had been hoping for.
The writing was much better, though I still sometimes have been wondering if some sentences were examples of slang, or just plain awfull or incorrect writing. I'm not a native speaker, but I read english books since long and usually don't have much problems with getting the gist of things, even though I don't always understand every single word. So, when I read a paragraph ten times over and still am wondering what the hell is meant... it makes me wonder.

As for Cal and Niko... *happy sigh* It was wonderful to read chapters from Niko's pov, and to learn more about their years before 'Nightlife', and it added to the story and the atmosphere. I really hope Thurman will use this option again in subsequent books.

One character I really, REALLY don't like is Promise. There's one point in the book where I wouldn't have minded if Cal had actually pushed her so I wouldn't have to read about her anymore. *sigh* It might come across as nasty, but I do hope she'll at one point vanish from the story lines completely.

This is a most excellent series, and I dread the day where I'll have read the last sentence of the last book already.
on 20 October 2012
First off, I'm a big fan of this series and on to the 5th book already. The series features 2 brothers; Niko, who is a martial arts master and health nut and is completely human, and Cal who is a bit lazy and sarcastic and is part-demon. The demon part of Cal is mostly what seems to bring trouble their way. The world Thurman has created and the creatures she fills it with are all very orignal and interesting. However, the real sparkle and appeal that brings these books to life is having Cal as the narrator. The way he sees things and the sense of humor he has are what draw me in and keep me picking up the next book.
In my personal opinion, the switching back and forth in this book from Cal's perspective to Niko's was what let this book down and kept it from being as good as the others in the series. I could sort of see why this switching was done as there was some stuff going on between Niko and his vampire girlfriend Promise - I won't spoil it for you by telling you what - but as a result I found this book less exciting and humorous than Thurman's previous efforts. It was still good, but not gripping.
That said I am on to 'Roadkill' now and it seems to be back to normal, which is excellent.
on 15 March 2009
Rob Thurman has written another superb book, she effortlessly creates great characters and story lines that encourage we, the reader, to find out more about what is happening in their world. I know that with her books they don`t just get read once but many times as I wait for the next in the series. Fans of this series will not be disappointed with Deathwish.

The Leandros bothers have their hands full again, their is another power hungry supernatural walking their streets and they don't even know it. Seamus, a vampire has hired them to find out who is following him, Promise's daughter has arrived, Cherish and wherever Cherish goes mayhem is sure to follow.

Robin takes a central place - as is his due. Nothing reads as well as a self centred, egotistical puck. I love Robin's character.

"The seven deadly sins. Wraith, lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, envy, pride. The puck pillowing his head on the bar counter of the Ninth Circle, sleeping the sleep of the exhausted and overindulged, had the latter six covered".

And we can not forget the Auphe. The remanent of their entire civilization is out for revenge and first to go is everyone and everything that Cal holds dear. But unknown to Cal the fate they have in store for him is worse than death. Let the fun begin.
on 25 May 2009
The best instalment of the Brothers Leandros' adventures so far. With enough plot twists and turns to keep me in suspense right til the end, and some bittersweet moments along the way, I really enjoyed this one. We find out much more about Promise's past, and then there's the Auphe back for more....
Thurman implies this will be the last one for some time, so make the most of it! And Rob, if you read this, PLEASE tell me what happens next!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 May 2009
If you've read the other three books then it will come as no suprise to hear that rob thurman has again made another brilliant book. This is like the climax to Cal and Niko's journey and the Auphey, and its so good!
I definatly rate this! I just wish there were more!
on 20 August 2013
I love these books, they are smart, fun and sassy. The characters get better and better as these novels progress.