5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I waited for this one.
I was considering buying the 660 but decided to wait until this one hit the shelves.
I have a Garmin for the car but one for the bike is new ground. At this sort of cost , you really don`t want to get it wrong.
Published on 25 Aug. 2012 by Petrol

Published 22 months ago by Marc Dubresson

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I waited for this one., 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Garmin zumo 350LM 4.3" Motorbike Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Bluetooth (Electronics)
OK, the mounts good, everything you need to bolt it up. It has a bracket that bolts to your switch gear with two longer bolts(supplied), however ,on my Triumph the originals are offset so I simply clamped it to the handlebars. The unit itself feels high quality, really nice stylish case. It clamps into the mount with a two stage fixing.
Power supply is about the size of a box of matches . It has a supply lead to the Garmin that runs all the way under the tank that then plugs into the gps mount (don`t lose the tiny screw that secures the plug! The power in leads come bare (you have to fit connections on (not supplied). I have an optimate loom fitted for charging, so I bought an extension lead for the charger then cut the end off and soldered the Garmin supply onto it. I can now plug my Garmin into the existing loom. (make sure you get the live and neutral round the right way!
There is no blanking plate for the mount when the gps is not fitted , that's about the only gripe!
I like the fuel tank range feature. When you get to your chosen range the fuel icon appears, you touch that and a list of fuel stations appear. You can record all your servicing details, I like :)
I have hard wired into my auto com intercom. Bad side of that is ,if you fall off it comes with you. Upside is you will not forget to remove it when you leave the bike. Luckily I had a lead to connect it! (not supplied).
Value for money, hard to say. I am off on a two week tour of Europe........I`ll let you know
UPDATE. We did a 5000 mile plus trip of nine countries in Europe, so there we were in Graz and our first hotel let us down with the secure parking , had to find another hotel at the end of a 500 mile day in the dark in a city center. With this , simply no problem. Budapest , 1 mile from our hotel, road closed and no diversion signs, with this , no problem. Switzerland , broke a drive chain, we could tell the breakdown people where we were , no problem. My wife and I would navigate with maps all across Europe easily and then have a blazing row trying to find our accommodation, worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Many steps forward a few steps back, 11 Nov. 2012
BACKGROUND
I bought this as a replacement for a Garmin Zūmo 550. I was quite happy with the 550 but recently the motorcycle mount stopped working when it filled up with water, corroding the internal electronics. Also the power pin on the GPS unit itself partially burnt and pitted creating an intermittent connection on both the car and bike mounts. I could have bought another used Zūmo 550 and mount but was tempted by the design of new 350LM (I never considered the less robust looking 660) and liked the concept of lifetime maps.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
It's great. Equally as good as the old 550 and far better in some respects. Solid build, more of a function over form design than the arguably more 'stylish' 660LM. I prefer the Zūmo 350LM case design - the all black sits better with my black bike.

INSTALLATION
Garmin have cleverly removed all the electronics from the mounts, which based on my recent experience is a good idea. No need to worry about covering up the mount when not in use. If the mount should become damaged by weather the only part that is likely to need replacing is the power cable.
But what have they done with the power cable? The 350LM runs on 5V so the 12V bike power needs to be stepped down and filtered and to do this they have added an inline box that's a bit bigger than a matchbox, along with a noise filter. This would be fine in a car, but on a bike? Where are you supposed to mount this box? I'm struggling to find a location on my BMW K1300s, not to mention the box means I can't feed the cable through any small holes when fitting. Brilliance and stupidity all in one Garmin!

FEATURES
On my old Zūmo 550 I had 1000 MP3 tracks loaded on the SD card to listen to on long trips. You can't do this on the 350LM. I figured this might be the case because everything is going iPhone and Bluetooth these days, but it's still disappointing. If you like your MP3s on your sat nav you need to buy the 660LM.
Can I pair my iPhone with the new 350LM and play music through it? Nope. Only a bluetooth headset. Text messages? Forget it. You'll need to buy the 660...
To get around these connectivity issue I'm now forced to buy a Scala G4 SOLO Motorcycle Handsfree Bluetooth Headset so I can stream music from the iPhone to the headset and pair it with the 350LM to hear voice prompts (voice prompts automatically dip the sound from the iPhone). In short to be able to listen to music occasionally has now become a whole lot more complicated than simply plugging in my ear buds and clipping the Zūmo 550 onto the mount! Now if I want music and voice prompts, even if I only use either occasionally, I must have a bluetooth headset attached - and that's another thing to charge overnight!

VOICE PROMPTS
The voice prompts don't sound as rich and full bodied as the 550. I guess because the 550 had an MP3 player it also has a good quality amplifier inside - or at least inside the motorcycle mount. The voices on the 350 sound thin and tinny in comparison but if you hadn't heard the Zūmo 550 before you probably won't mind. They're not unbearable but a bit 'telephonic' for my liking. I'm guessing the the 660LM would have better audio quality due it's built in MP3 capabilities.

SCREEN
The display is sharper than the 550 but Garmin have gone for more detail and reality in the map software which in my opinion just makes it harder to read. I'm sure I'll get used to it but at the moment I prefer my old 550. I've since changed the theme and level of detail on the 350LM to the lowest setting to see if it looks better. The bigger screen is nice but all it really adds is more information either side of where you are going to clutter up the view. The first manufacturer who comes up with a sat nav that works in portrait rather than widescreen orientation will have a hit I'm sure.

NAVIGATION
I have only had one short ride with the 350 but it seems to be equally as good as the 550. One new function I encountered is when you get closer to your destination the 350LM automatically switches to a higher detailed map setting, which is useful, until you accidentally miss a turn and ride away from your destination and the 350LM doesn't switch back!
The lane assist seems to work fine but it does split the screen when activated on so you really have to look carefully to see where you are going.
At last Garmin has added a "where am I?" button. In the past I've had to use Google maps on the iPhone for this function.
Finally my old 550 had nice big characters to display your speed which were easily legible. The 350 has smaller numerals displayed next to a graphic displaying the speed limit of the road you are currently on. Nice idea in theory but the small speed digits turn red when you exceed the limit and make them even harder to read!

CONCLUSION
If my 550 hadn't died I think I'd probably be sending the 350LM back for a full refund and buying a used Zūmo 550 and new motorcycle mount (£40). But as it is with technology once one has stepped forward it's difficult to step back so I'm sure I'll get used to the differences and work around the shortcomings. I recall I was initially apprehensive about the Zūmo 550 until I actually used it in anger and got used to it. I think I need to do another big ride to really give the new Zūmo 350LM a workout.
If you've never had the older Zūmo 550 you'll love the 350LM. Owners upgrading from the 550 may prefer the 660M instead. I'm sticking with the 350LM until Garmin bring out a 660M upgrade in the same case as the 350LM...

5.0 out of 5 stars Zumo 350LM Satnav, 12 July 2012
G. Mills "Gary M" (ESSEX) - See all my reviews
I waited to take the plunge on a motorcycle satnav and had heard that Garmin were going to release the Zumo 350LM. I am very glad that i waited, the 350LM performs very well, i recommend using it in conjunction with a Bluetooth headset, my preference being a Cardo Scala G9. The features i like are the spoken turn by turn directions and the Basecamp software. The turn by turn spoken directions are useful because you don't have to keep looking down to confirm where you are going and the Basecamp software (free download) has some great features when it comes to planning outings. All in all a good value product and very good for motorcyclists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin ZUMO 350LM Bike GPS, 8 Sept. 2012
This item is worth every penny, it connects to any Bluetooth Helmet system and is very (VERY) easy to use and completely biker friendly. It also comes with a Car Mount and the lifetime mapping is a good selling point. I have already used it in Europe.... it's BRILLIANT...!!!! Best price was AMAZON.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC PRODUCT..WORKS VERY WELL, 2 Oct. 2012
S. GANGADHARAN "cambs gp" (kings lynn, norfolk) - See all my reviews
I bought this product after doing some research on the internet. I have a BMW R1200GS. To fit a similar unit from the factory would cost up to £850 including installation. I wanted a Garmin unit without the exorbitant price and this fitted well. The price was cheapest off amazon and delivery was very quick. The fact that I can use it in the car with a separate cable and fitting was a bonus. I went to an electrician to get the unit professionally hardwired to the battery (roughly £50). I have done a few rides totaling a few hundred miles with it. The unit connects to a bluetooth headset if needed else the speaker in the unit is pretty loud if you turn the volume up. The unit it attached to the mount with some rubber bushes which help to dampen vibration when riding and this works very well. It has map updates, speed camera warnings in UK and also tells you common places for mobile speed camera's as well (important for a biker!!)
The display is very bright and at night time automatically dims down. You can turn off the directions and voice with a shortcut directly on the screen. The unit fits on the permanently mounted clamp on the bike with a small button the the top of the unit and comes off once this is released. It works very well to hold it in place while riding. Charging is through a couple of small metal points on the back as well which work once its clamped in place. Over all the unit is very good and i am very happy with my buy!! happily recommend it to all my fellow bikers

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - but unable to share routes using micro SD card - whats the SD card for then..., 4 July 2013
H. Pyett "Howie" (UK) - See all my reviews
After my old zumo 550 went to gps heaven, though it time to get a new on for my bike.
In summary the garmin 660 is just far to expensive to justify as a gps - it's good but not £500 squid good.
So went for the 350 - one reason was the bracket - it has NO electronics in the bracket/cradle - only power...unlike the 550 or 660 bracket/cradle. In the 6 years I had the 550 I went through 5 cradles - varying replacement costs over the years of between £50 to £80 each time. The 350 is cradle is power only (individual power cable).

The 350 options are vey similar to the 550 except NO MP3 or Phone - but I never used those so I won't miss them. But there are other additional useful routing options.

The ONE missing feature is the ability to import or export routes via the micro SD card...just found this on Garmin web site.
"The zumo 350 will not import OR export routes from SD cards. To transfer a route to the zumo 350, you'll need to use a program such as BaseCamp".

This is the only frustrating missing feature, and I would say very short sighted of Garmin - I am struggling to even understand what the micro SD card can be used for.
Many a time I have been out on group rides where we pass round a SD card with various routes on...If anyone from Garmin reads this, I suggest when they say the 350 is designed by bikers for bikers, then there bikers need to get out more.

If you do a lot of ad-hoc on the road sharing of routes DO NOT BUY the 350, as you cannot share routes via the SD card.

Other than that, I really like the 350 and will live with the missing feature in hope Garmin put it back in one day...but I can not recommended it to bikers that want to share routes on the road.

I still rate it 4 star, as I can live without the SD sharing, albeit it will be frustrating.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good unit slightly let down by poor software and support, 13 Oct. 2013
I bought one of these 350LM for a trip to Scandanavia on my R12GS. Unfortunately it got pinched on my way home in southern Sweden (my own fault - I left it on the bike).

I'm just about to buy another because on balance it is a good unit and because I now have a duplicate mounting bracket and wiring harness to use on my second bike. It has a pretty decent battery life if you need to use it off the cradle for a few hours. It finds the satellites and calculates routes quickly. The screen works well and it does seem properly robust for use on a bike. And it slips into a jacket pocket easily.

The downsides? Well from reading through the reviews on here they seem to point to the same issues I had, which were all related to flaky software and indifferent customer service. I had one software update that caused the search-by-postcode function to fail - but this was sorted in the next monthly update. And the updates are big we are talking gigabytes each time. The 2-D north-up view is utterly useless unless you are heading north (guess why?). The Basecamp route planning software is woefully bad, almost as bad as iTunes for making functions as obscure to use as the laws of computer logic allow. And somewhat shockingly I have found it impossible to register a device as being stolen.

That said its still a good unit you just have to accept that along with many other modern devices, software quality is lagging behind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Device so far unreliable - Freezes randomly - Poor customer service, 30 May 2013
So far the Zumo 350 has proven unreliable. How can you trust it on any journey when it freezes randomly? Reseting, updating...etc to no avail, support has been slow and unhelpful so far. Many forums are relating the same issue over the world but so far Garmin does not see fit to respond/acknowledge and the customer is left to do their quality assurance. I would pass until a fix is found and confirmed, potentially pass forever if speedy and efficient customer service is important to you.

** UPDATE **

After weeks of Garmin being aware of the problem, with no official communication on their part in the interim, they finally released a software update that fixed the issue. Great. BUT, what should we think of a company that fails to test the main functionality of its product? What should we think of a company that fails to communicate? What should we think of a company that even sent replacement units around the world, knowing it wasn't fixing the issue? How much cost do you think that builds in the product we are buying here? It's the 21st century and Garmin is running on fumes of once great consumer devices, marine and aviation. Wake up!!

3.0 out of 5 stars An adequate GPS that is a poor replacement for the Zumo 550. Concentrates on looks and gimmicks instead of the core role., 16 July 2014
Chris L-J (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a replacement for the brilliant ZUMO550 with misgivings, having read other reviews. The unit has lived down to expectations and I'm glad I didn't spend more on a higher spec but similar system.
This wasn't designed by a motorcyclist, unlike the 550 with it's at a glance display and functional approach to the arrangement of information.
A designer made this and it is an example of form over function. Plenty of eye candy in a smart case with loads of background applications that you won't routinely use. The navigation is good and the route displays clearly but the supplementary information in the corners can't be read at a glance. These require a dangerous amount of concentration - too much time not looking at the road ahead.
Installation: Very easy to set up and plumb into the electrics so no need to employ a specialist. It's a shame it wasn't compatible with the 550 bracket as I didn't want to use the provided installation kit that mounts on a handlebar. They've used an established mount manufacturer as sub contractor for the mount. I have forced it to fit on my centrally mounted bracket and it works satisfactorily.
Navigation: Much the same as the 550 in normal point to point route selection and thus is very good. The motorway junction feature that shows the lanes is excellent and very clear in the display. The option to select a motorcycle fun route is ok but it lacks flexibility so I haven't used it much. The Base Camp planning ap is rubbish, not intuitive at all and has no ability to drag and drop waypoints or pull the route to your own desired plan. I've worked on these systems for commercial companies and even the most simple is better than this. It does work well to display your historic information.
The mapping is good and with the free updater and complete European coverage in the unit makes this aspect first class.
Gimmicks: There are a number of minor applications available; The trip computer and fuel warning system is quite handy and easy to set up with a cute little petrol pump icon to tell you fuel is low. The petrol station route finder is very handy. Less useful is the service application which needs to be set up by the user, you can put all sorts of stuff in here, like filter changes, but why would you. Just as easy to put the service interval mileage in and wait for whatever little icon the designer, who's never been on a motorbike, wants to flash at you. There's other functionality as well but there's little enough good mororbiking weather in this country to spend time learning them - I'll wait until the winter.
This is a workable replacement unit and is very good at what it does but it just doesn't live up to it's predecessor. Expensive for what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing bit of kit, 16 Jun. 2013
Can't say enough good things about this little gadget. Works brilliantly on motorbike and in the car. Very easy to connect to bluetooth headset. It actually tells you what road you are turning into instead of just telling you to turn left or right as my old sat nav (tomtom) didn't which in my opinion is very helpful. Very easy to use and update thanks to the garmin site. It is fully waterproof as I found out on the bike a couple of times and also works with out taking of my gloves. If you are thinking about a sat nav I would highly recommend one of these beauties. for the price you get a very very good device which is very well made and life time maps. awesome.