TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 October 2013
Replaced a dead 5 year old MBPro with an Air. I have a few extra older PSUs (MagSafe ones lets call them) at my key locations and buying this converter means I can use those instead of spending over a hundred pounds replacing them with Magsafe twos. So yes you can save some money using these on working MagSafe ones.

This adapter is tiny 22.5x12.6x17.2mm but the strong magnet inside means it will stick to the cable (and laptop) reducing the chance of it dropping off and disappearing behind a cupboard. Or for that matter being swallowed by a kid or pet. The only decision is: do you buy one and hope you manage to keep it with you at all times or buy one per PSU and hope no one pinches it when away from your desk.

The tiny size for £9, the scepticism over Apple really needing the shape change for 'design' reasons has made me stick to one for now but I anticipate eventually buying more. It is actually a remarkable object from an engineering and manufacturing point of view, quality item with fine tolerances, I just get a bit annoyed about the reasons for its existence and the profit margin.
on 4 February 2014
I do get the argument that Apple shouldn't have changed the standard and it's unfair to have to buy this... but they did, so we have to deal with it. Technology must change to evolve and improve.

This helps ease that pain. You've already spent a lot of money on your MagSafe charger, this simply (and very securely) attaches to it and allows you to use it with a MagSafe 2 Macbook (a 13" Retina Pro, in my case).

I've bought two and doing so means I haven't had to buy any more power supplies. That really is as simple as it gets.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 August 2014
I'm relatively new to the "Apple" party and so didn't have anything with the original Magsafe adaptor - then I acquired an airline adaptor for use with my Power Gorilla.

Whilst it is expensive for what it is, that's what you get with Apple products and is to be expected. This, however has brought a new lease of life to something that would probably have ended up in landfill otherwise, and I can't fault it - the magnet is strong and several months of use later, i've not lost it yet. Well, the adaptor that is!
on 12 July 2014
Difficult to say much about this - if you have a magsafe charger, and need to charge magsafe2 devices, then this is essential. Well made. The only problem is that it's small enough to easily lose. Essential for those who need it. Was delivered promptly and in proper apple packaging.
on 19 September 2015
Unfortunately moving from the MagSafe design to MagSafe 2 design was a regressive, unnecessary step that turned a good idea, well executed in to a good idea that is very poorly executed. For that reason alone this necessary (imo just to avoid ever needing to use even one MagSafe 2 adapter) product should be free, but there are others.

The MagSafe 2 adapters fall out if you even look in their general direction, since the magnet is so much weaker, and the backward step to MagSafe 2 is compounded by the fact the power cable now arrives to the laptop in a perpendicular direction, rather than run neatly and safely parallel to the laptop edge.

I say safely, because the 90 degree angle now created to the laptop edge means when the adapter comes out, as it does roughly every 3.6 seconds if the laptop is moving even slightly (or something knocks it / brushes against it), it can easily slide forwards just over the surface/plane the keyboard sits in the middle of, and given the MagSafe 2 is a T-shape now it means that if you don't spot this detachment in time as you close your laptop, then you can guarantee you'll be saying goodbye to your retina screen. My partner repairs these laptops and he's seen the resulting damage from MagSafe 2 adapters to numerous retina screens in their bottom left hand corner, which then means thick black vertical bars of death from the contact point. There have also been Mac site blogs about this exact problem, and an article in the NY Times focussed on the negative redesign to MagSafe 2 generally. You can't even now rest a laptop between your thighs while charging, because the adapter/wire isn't parallel to your leg & laptop, and instead juts outwards a fair way, so even ignoring comfort it simply won't stay attached.

Unfortunately this converter doesn't solve that last problem, but it does at least mean you almost certainly won't end up with a broken retina screen because of it come free when the wind changes direction, or send you insane by the constant detachments, so it is worth the money just for that. However given this unnecessary and poor redesign, as well as the cost (plus profit for Apple) it incurs on many Apple customers who had previously bought another product from Apple in good faith, they should be giving one of these away with every e.g. laptop sale. I've bought other products such as iPod docks from major manufacturers such as Bang & Olufsen who have given away a free adapters/converters to ensure any product with the pre Apple iPhone 5 interface can still be used easily, and their adapters would have cost a lot more than the manufacture costs of this Apple MagSafe converter.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 February 2015
I have just replaced my trusty, but aged MacBook Pro with a new model and so have the problem of several of the magsafe connectors not fitting.

This is a superb little device, which just works.

It has a very strong magnetic connection to the old lead. So far it has never dropped off, which was a concern.

It just works, perfectly and flawlessly.

And while it is quite expensive, it is so much cheaper than replacing redundant power leads.
on 1 May 2015
This is a must-have product if you have a macbook with the magsafe2 connector and older magsafe power adapters. You can save a lot of money by buying this with respect to buying additional power supplies.

This is magnetic and will stick firmly to both your Macbook port and the old Magsafe connector. Even if you attach and detach it many time, it is still comfortable.

Just keep it away from your credit cards since it has a strong magnet.
on 15 November 2014
Having been provided with a MacBook Pro Retina for work, buying one of these has allowed me to leave the original power supply at work, and re-use my own MagSage adaptor at home.

Note: it's worth looking at a 'MagCozy' which will enable you to physically attach the convertor to your MagSafe adaptor, keeping it close to hand at all times.
on 1 April 2014
Am I the only reviewer with a big screen? Maybe other 27" Thunderbolt display users are to busy to comment. Anyway, I'm a photographer and need (which is what I told Mrs F) the big screen for my work. Having recently upgraded from a 13" MBP to a 15" MBP Retina I realised that the twin Thunderbolt/power cable from the screen to the Mac wouldn't pass muster with the new machine. Yikes! What now? A new expensive twin cable? Not a bit of it; thank you Apple for making the sort of inexpensive adaptor that the likes of Lenovo, Dell, Sony and whoever wouldn't even remotely consider. And my amazing Thunderbolt display lives on. Hooray! And like other reviewers I shall buy a couple of these adaptors so I can utilise my older, pre-Retina, chargers. No other manufacturer that I know of enables you to use older chargers with new devices. Well done Apple I say! 5 stars from me.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A shame it's necessary but if you've got to have one this is the one to buy.