on 19 November 2014
Works as one would expect. No issues there.

Price - that's the thing that grates -
I realise then when buying into the Apple Ecosystem you are paying a premium price for a premium quality product - I'm happy to do this after years of frustration with Microsoft...

However £25 for an adaptor that is a required necessity in many cases, takes the urine somewhat..

A tenner would be easier to swallow - or, here's an idea, with a computer costing 2 grand, maybe Apple should chuck one in?
0Comment50 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2013
Have been using this cable intensively for over a year now and still works perfectly. Construction and connections are solid. It's compact but large enough that I'm not worried to lose it. I just wish iPhone chargers were as well built as this. Star knocked off for price. I imagine if Apple's connectors and adapters were more reasonably priced, such as thunderbolt, they might become more widely adopted.
on 24 September 2014
Bought this for my macbook air as a backup, in case I ended up somewhere without wifi. I haven't really used it much in the last 18 months, but I did try it out a few times. I tend to have a Thunderbolt to VGA/HDMI adapter plugged in when at work/home, so since you only have one port, something has to come out.

I suspect in hindsight, having a USB to Ethernet might have been a better option, leaving the thunderbolt free for a monitor.

I had a few issues getting it configured in OSx, but a bit of googling got it sorted.
on 9 May 2014
I am tempted to give this 3 out of 5, however, that would be unfair.

It does the job, nothing more to say apart from the excessive price that apple charges for a core feature on nearly all laptops, however, in this case, I would say it is required to keep the thickness of the Macbook Pro down; only issue is price, £25 for a cable is daylight robbery when it costs pennies to manufacture.
on 23 January 2014
This is a great adapter. Works flawlessly and gigabit transfer speeds are awesome.

I do large scale NetInstall image deployment from my Macbook Air / Server using this - and it is brilliant.

Highly recommended if your looking to have Gigabit network speeds on your None LAN Port equipped Mac.
on 2 December 2012
There's little else to say, it works fine and I've thus far experienced no problems. Seems durable and well made.

I try to keep price out of a review (and it is exempt from the rating given for the product), but I can't help feeling it's far too expensive for what it is.
on 9 June 2013
Very good choice, much better and more stable from Usb to Ethernet adapter for MacBook Air
I would recommend it.
on 27 January 2014
I purchased this after reading other reviews. I live in a small village and the internet connection via wifi can be a pain at times. I ordered this so I could connect via ethernet. It arrived very quickly, which is excellent service! It does as it says on the tin... I now enjoy faster internet, which is essential as I work from home... wouldnt hesitate to recommend this product and seller...
on 3 October 2013
Wish my MacBook Pro had an ethernet out as standard but I guess it'd take up too much space.

Just plugged in the adapter, plugged the ethernet cable in to the adapter and my Virgin SuperHub and am now enjoying 120Mbit+ speeds - much faster than I could achieve via Wi-Fi.
on 19 December 2014
It connects a MacBook Pro to an ethernet cable / RJ45 cable and enables you to connect to NAS drives and servers etc. But (unlike the ethernet cable / RJ45 connector) the Thunderbolt cable is small and not tightly fitting or secure, and has no clip to keep it in place, and as a result is very easy to knock or pull out of the Thunderbolt port on your Mac.

This can be a real headache. As is forgetting to take it with you, and not being able to connect to a network in a meeting, on a job, in a hotel etc..

There is however no alternative to buying this overpriced and ill-designed piece of kit, so we are stuck with it. Why Apple can't provide their MacBook Pro customers with an ethernet port is beyond me. Creative professionals and many others rely on ethernet and will continue to do so for years to come.