5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless; does what it says on the tin!
I purchased this 2012 updated Super Drive directly from Apple at the same time I ordered my MacBook Air (due to it not having a built-in disc drive).

Published 24 months ago by Fireball Dragon

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product but....
This is a solid apple product that is well designed but I really don't like the fact that they have crippled the firmware on this so that you can't use it with any old mac or pc. My advice, buy the 25 clone and use it on any computer you have.. Bad Apple.
Published 8 months ago by M. A. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless; does what it says on the tin!, 25 July 2012
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)

It looks similar to the previously released Super Drive. However Apple claims that this updated model supports the new Retina Display MacBook, as well as providing support for other macs that do not come equipped with a built-in drive. It is well constructed and from the moment you open the box, you know you are in for a high quality item.

The drives footprint is no larger than a standard CD case; I have taken mine in my bag to work and had no problems with added bulk or weight. It connects to the mac via USB and there is no additional software to install. It has not failed to recognise any DVD or CD that I have inserted. With a slot loading mechanism, there are no buttons on the drive and no hatches to lift. Simply insert the disc by sliding it in the slot and remove via the on screen eject button. I feel obliged to add that the cable from the Super Drive is fairly short (~12 inches). This may be a pro or con, depending on your needs, but the cable can be extended using a usb extension.

Conclusively, the Super Drive is a premium product that works well out of the box, and presents with no issues. What you are getting is a device that compliments the aesthetics of your mac and functions efficiently. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars USB SuperDrive, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
Like all things apple it just works plug it in and it works I like the fact that it only has a single cable to supply power and data no separate power supply required some customers might find the cable a little short but it works ok for me with my set up once again another great product from apple would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Super SuperDrive, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
It's very simple, works great and looks very stylish. All the things you expect from a quality Apple product. Highly recommended to go with a MacBook Air, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Superdrive!, 2 Dec 2012
Mansel Dinnis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
A great piece of kit. Neat design and good value from Amazon. Would recommend this Apple product for those still wanting to burn CDs and DVDs and are looking for Apple hardware quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product but...., 27 Oct 2013
M. A. Smith - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Unhappy!, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
After using the superdrive for two months without problem I then encountered the dreaded stuck disk. I followed every bit of advice I could find and still nothing is working.
Now I'll have to travel all the way to Manchester (3 hour trip each way) to see someone at my nearest Mac store to try and fix this.
Very unhappy with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple USB SuperDrive, 19 April 2013
A. Thom "Tex" (King's Lynn, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
I recently bought an iMac having been a seasoned windows PC user for about 15 years, and was dismayed at the iMac not having a cd/dvd drive. This item is definitely a worthy addition, simply plug it in and it's ready to use. It really is that simple. I have now loaded a lot of my cd collection to my iTunes library and the Apple software adds the relevant album info. A little on the expensive side, but very easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost a Collector's item!, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
Small, neat, beautifully made and reasonably priced it goes well with all my Apples. It's a pity that for a few pounds extra Apple don't include it with their newer Macs that don't have an optical drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful if you're buying it for an iMac, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
My dvd drive failed in my late 2009 iMac - leaving to one side this somewhat annoying issue, I was assured by my local Apple store that an external superdrive would be an effective means of replacing the part (a full repair likely to cost 200+). Anyhow, as became immediately apparent, it does NOT work with pre-2012 iMacs. You'd have thought that Apple would do better, huh? Anyhow, the happy ending here was that for 29.95 instead of 65 I bought a basic Samsung DVD rewriter from my local computer store and it works just fine......

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok!, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
Plug the USB superdrive into my Macbook pro with retina display and the connection is straight forward and easy ,it works plays dvds fine without a problem, getting the disc out of the drive is a different matter I've had two discs refusing to eject no matter what i tried eventually found a method online that works.
Will give the drive a few more goes hoping its just teething problems but you pay a premium price for Apple products so giving this hardware a couple of chances to come good is far from perfect.

Update.

I have not used the drive as much as i thought i would but the couple of times i have used it there was no problem ejecting the disc.
Will consider improving my rating score after a few more problem free disc ejections.

Apple USB SuperDrive