5.0 out of 5 stars USB SuperDrive
Like all things apple it just works plug it in and it works I like the fact that it only has a single cable to supply power and data no separate power supply required some customers might find the cable a little short but it works ok for me with my set up once again another great product from apple would recommend
Published on 15 Aug. 2012 by Blue oyster 55

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too sure yet
I had a problem when it first arrived and returned it to the supplier as it was making a bad noise and ejected the Family Tree Maker disc that I had purchased at the same time, when I received the USB SuperDrive the second time it did manage to install the disc but still made a lower noise, so I'm not sure if this is the norm or not only time will tell.

I will...
Published on 26 April 2013 by K Askin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too sure yet, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)

I will not purchase anything else from E-Trade Tech again as their comments to me was out of line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
I bought a Superdrive to complement the new I-Mac. It looked good and felt solid compared with other makes. Although its cable is ridiculously short and it will not work with a powered USB3 hub, I can live with that. However, the big disappointment is that it produced audio CDs in a format not recognised by Hi-Fi CD players (I did set the burn option to "cd audio"). I took it to my local Apple Store who could not not test it as they don't have HI-Fi equipment. However, rather than send it away to be tested, they quite happily exchanged it for a new one. Three months later, after burning some 30 CDs, it is working fine.

Perhaps I was just unlucky the first time but, on a value for money basis, I cannot give more than three stars. Whilst having trouble with the first one, I borrowed a Samsung. It is very flimsy but it worked perfectly and, at less than half the price, it has to be a better buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB SuperDrive, 15 Aug. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless; does what it says on the tin!, 25 July 2012
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
I purchased this 2012 updated Super Drive directly from Apple at the same time I ordered my MacBook Air (due to it not having a built-in disc drive).

It looks similar to the previously released Super Drive. However Apple claims that this updated model supports the new Retina Display MacBook, as well as providing support for other macs that do not come equipped with a built-in drive. It is well constructed and from the moment you open the box, you know you are in for a high quality item.

The drives footprint is no larger than a standard CD case; I have taken mine in my bag to work and had no problems with added bulk or weight. It connects to the mac via USB and there is no additional software to install. It has not failed to recognise any DVD or CD that I have inserted. With a slot loading mechanism, there are no buttons on the drive and no hatches to lift. Simply insert the disc by sliding it in the slot and remove via the on screen eject button. I feel obliged to add that the cable from the Super Drive is fairly short (~12 inches). This may be a pro or con, depending on your needs, but the cable can be extended using a usb extension.

Conclusively, the Super Drive is a premium product that works well out of the box, and presents with no issues. What you are getting is a device that compliments the aesthetics of your mac and functions efficiently. 5/5

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product but...., 27 Oct. 2013
M. A. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
This is a solid apple product that is well designed but I really don't like the fact that they have crippled the firmware on this so that you can't use it with any old mac or pc. My advice, buy the £25 clone and use it on any computer you have.. Bad Apple.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Unhappy!, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
After using the superdrive for two months without problem I then encountered the dreaded stuck disk. I followed every bit of advice I could find and still nothing is working.
Now I'll have to travel all the way to Manchester (3 hour trip each way) to see someone at my nearest Mac store to try and fix this.
Very unhappy with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple USB SuperDrive, 19 April 2013
A. Thom "Tex" (King's Lynn, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
I recently bought an iMac having been a seasoned windows PC user for about 15 years, and was dismayed at the iMac not having a cd/dvd drive. This item is definitely a worthy addition, simply plug it in and it's ready to use. It really is that simple. I have now loaded a lot of my cd collection to my iTunes library and the Apple software adds the relevant album info. A little on the expensive side, but very easy to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is no different to a drive that you can ..., 29 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
This is no different to a drive that you can buy for a third of the price. If your not bothered about the price and you want to keep your desktop the same sexy design as your imac then get it. If you just need a drive though save yourself some money and buy a 3rd party one, it will work just as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 15 Jun. 2013
SussexWasp (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
I bought this specifically to read information provided on DVD-RW media, but the product does not work.

The same disc reads on the MacBook Pro (with built in drive) but is not recognised when inserted into a Superdrive connected to the new iMac or MacBook Pro Retina.

All credit to the Genius Bar team at Apple Brighton for trying various drives and machine combinations before eventually giving up refunding the purchase price.

5.0 out of 5 stars iMac 27", 15 April 2014
This review is from: Apple USB SuperDrive (Personal Computers)
Bought my superdrive to complement my iMac 27". Extremely handed for me for using it to load drivers etc and also handy for loading cd's etc that you already own to load to your iTunes library. I'm new to apple products any I believe these items are fairly new to apple ... so they are clearly filling a customer need?? Works for me and bought through amazon for a good price.

Apple USB SuperDrive