4.0 out of 5 stars Really good read!
I love historical fiction, and I love this period of French history, so it was a pleasure to find a new writer who seems to have got under the skin of the period. It's a good yarn, lots of authentic detail, and well-rounded characters, particularly the baddies!
Published on 6 July 2012 by Noggin

3.0 out of 5 stars The French Orphan
Published 15 months ago by S Riaz

3.0 out of 5 stars The French Orphan, 1 Feb. 2014
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The French Orphan (Kindle Edition)
This is the, sprawling and adventurous, first in a series of books about a young man named Pierre. When we first meet our hero, he is a young pupil at a monastery school in Reims. Although befriended by Armand de Saint Paul, the youngest son of an old and noble family, his future looks bleak. Although the boys from noble families are preparing for careers as high-ranking members of the clergy, Pierre is only likely to spend his time teaching, or in a lowly parish and fighting off the unwanted attentions of the creepy Brother Hieronymous. However, that is before Armand discovers his secret. Pierre is really the son of a Marquis and has been hidden away to protect him from his relatives, who are hoping to inherit the title and family fortune.

What follows is an old fashioned adventure story – rather like a homage to Dumas – where Pierre and Armand set out to prove he is the real Marquis and evade the clutches of his evil cousin, Henri de Bouvoir, as well as the machinations of the wily Cardinal Richelieu. There are travels to England, to visit the family of Pierre’s mother, romance, the involvement of the Knights Templar, kidnappings and coded messages. This is an enjoyable historical novel, but the book does not really stand alone and you need to read on with the second book to discover what happens to the characters. Overall, I found this pleasant enough, but I did struggle to maintain interest in the plot at points and felt it would have been better if the ending had been more conclusive – giving the novel a more complete feel in itself.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, for review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good read!, 6 July 2012
This review is from: The French Orphan (Kindle Edition)
There's a lot of action, some romance, a bit of sex (not too explicit but enough to spice things up a bit) and lots of Machiavellian scheming.
I found myself engaging with the main characters, and finished the book wanting to know more, which is always the sign of a good read.
The book is quite long, so deserves to have some time dedicated to it, but it's well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Curl up and immerse yourself in 17th Century France for awhile, 19 Mar. 2014
Kerry M (Gold Coast, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French Orphan (Paperback)
I was provided with a free copy to review and give my honest opinion. This is no quick read, but it's worth the effort. Stolle walks you through an interesting period in French history beautifully due to good research. Some of the phrasing is 21st Century but that is not worth dissing the book over. The characters are rich and interesting. The story covers about a one year period, thus leaving the book open for a sequel. At times the plot is a little complex but that is due to the depth of the research. Looking forward to downloading and reading the Secrets of Montresor (book 2).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The French Orphan (Kindle Edition)
This is a novel of the highest calibre. It has a great plot, full of political scheming and a great adventure. It has rich description and interesting characters of great depth. The story is truly absorbing and I have now started the second one. This would make a marvellous film. Anyone who enjoys a good historical novel will I am sure enjoy this. I highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprise, 17 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The French Orphan (Kindle Edition)
No idea what to expect with this book. I can honestly say it gripped me from the beginning and held me all the way through and loved the characters........highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The French Orphan (Kindle Edition)
It was surprising how quickly and completely the author took you to a world where you are reluctant to leave. Looking forward to the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good historical novel, 2 May 2014
This review is from: The French Orphan (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed every page of this book and it is only Part 1. I look forward to getting my hands on Part 2 in due course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible Intrigue, 27 Aug. 2012
Mrs Joanna Allardice (Eastbourne, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French Orphan (Kindle Edition)
A large cast, deftly handled, an absorbing plot with a tumbling, energetic sequence of events, political manoeverings, court intrigue, well drawn baddies and deserving protagonists all go to make up an absorbing read and a pleasurable journey. Can't wait for the next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The French Orphan (Kindle Edition)
This fast paced story is full of surprizes, and had me hooked after the first couple of pages. The are lighter comic comic moments which are very welcome, and should, in my opinion anyway, be included in al books. The prose really does have to power to transport the reader back to those bygone days of yore.It's a shame that the story the story is not fully completed in one volume though, as I can't afford the sequel, but I suppose it's give me something to look forward to.

4.0 out of 5 stars The French Orphan, 23 Dec. 2012
Mary (Doncaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The French Orphan (Paperback)
The book ends with unresolved major problems affecting the main characters, so it is necessary to get the sequel to find out what happens next.
A good book, overall, and very much a page turner. There are a few minor grammatical errors, such as missing words, for example: page 343, 'You cannot ignore forever a Queen who has borne the heir to throne,' which should surely be 'the heir to the throne'. Or on page 284, "You're a Duke now," in one bit of dialogue and 'well he was a duke now,'in a later sentence, which may be an inconsistent use of capital letters. These errors are few and do not stop the book being a good read.
Michael Stolle has a unique style and does his own thing. Strangely enough, it works. For example, where all the writing manuals say 'show not tell' he tells how his characters feel, some of the time.For example 'A suddenly joyful Jean Baptiste.'page 303. It is refreshing to find such an individual style. Sometimes, however, the writing reminds me of Dennis Wheatley, with the excellent Roger Brooke series.I think this is because of the historical explanations made by some of the characters and the fact that there is always an unresolved problem to keep readers turning the page.
There are some excellent descriptions of the everyday life of the period, which I love. The author shows his love of history and, since I am fascinated by the period, I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of dress, food and so on.
I would recommend the book, as I found it difficult to put it down, until I had finished it. Then I found out I needed the sequel!

The French Orphan