Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 March 2013
I was very cautious about buying this album after reading the 1 Star review, but after Alvin Lee sadly died last week (on 6th March 2013) I decided I had to buy it and I'm very glad I did. Alvin showcases various styles on this his final album: from some fine Spanish and folky finger-picking acoustic guitar, through some great melodic rock, to the inevitable blues (not too much I'm personally glad to say) and a little bit of 1950s style rockabilly. Some of the electric lead guitar is sublime. The standard of Alvin's song-writing is much higher than on his recent solo albums and a couple of songs are reminiscent of his wonderful 1970s Ten Tears After composition "I'd Love To Change The World". Highly recommended for all Alvin Lee and Ten Years After classic rock fans.
on 13 November 2012
Back on the road to freedom is Alvin Lee's best album for a long time but it's somewhat difficult to explain why. He's still playing that blend of blues, rock and country that he has been playing for years but this time the variations on a theme are a little more immediate than say, for example, Saguitar. Whilst that album sounded, at first listen, just another revisiting of a theme and then developed into something far more subtle and innovative after some careful listening, this one hits you straight away, but then it continues to surprise with every listen.
The title song doesn't exactly revisit the original On The Road To Freedom - rather it continues the story forty years later. The soaring guitar sounds the same but different, the vocals are certainly by the same man and he doesn't sound forty years older. In fact the track sounds as fresh as a daisy and it's much like reading the sequel to a good novel - when you've finished it you really are pleased to find out how the story ends.
The rest of the album doesn't disappoint and in many ways it reminds me of Ten Years After's A Space In Time rather than Alvin's On The Road To Freedom. There is a sense of somebody laying down tracks whenever the mood takes them and then developing them later - but only sometimes; there are tracks on this album that have definitely been stopped before they were finished and they are all the better for it. Imagine some of the pencil sketches you've seen by the great artists - not major paintings but still exquisite works of art in their own right.
I've deliberately not gone through the tracks on this album one by one because I think it is for the listener to discover the hidden delights that emerge after every play but I do recommend you don't switch it off after the final track because there is a hidden bonus right at the very end that is definitely one of the unfinished works of art.
Buy this album at all costs and keep on playing it again and again.
on 31 January 2015
This was probably the last new CD that will be released by the now sadly missed Alvin Lee, I had not followed his music since the days of Ten Years After, but heard a couple of tracks off this CD and decided to purchase it, so glad I did it is a very Good album and it has made me look further into his later releases, if you enjoy good music played by a great musician this album is for you, he will be sadly missed
on 13 May 2013
If you want to play blues just copy this man. The best guitar player I have ever seen live. And I've seen Clapton , Hendrix and loads of others
on 1 September 2014
Well packed and received in good time.
It's not classic Alvin, but still enjoyable. I'd have been a bit cheesed off had I paid full price for it.
on 22 July 2013
loved ten years after years ago and it took me right back to my younger days would highly recommend it
on 3 December 2015
great album by the late alvin lee really enjoyed it
on 11 December 2014
Fantastic album, everything great!
on 18 October 2012
I have also been a fan of Alvin since '71 but this is the end of the line. It is awfull.
His last studio album (Saguitar) was going through the motions,. well this one is ony half finished.
There really is very little to commend - some nice guitar tones but no commited playing, dreary schoolboy lyrics and it is really limp to listen too. Home studio production values and some very clumsy cut and paste editing.

I am very sad about giving this opinion. If you like it good for you.

Heading back to my TYA albums forthwith,
on 21 March 2015