5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Sub and Play 3's
Published on 24 Aug. 2012 by Zubenubi

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly Addictive - But could've Bought a Decent 2nd Hand Car Instead
1 or 5 stars depending on your thoughts.
So I bought a Play 1 based upon a Which? Magazine best buy review. Then I got into Spotify and discovered loads of stuff I hadn't heard for years despite my extensive mp3 collection. And more new stuff I could fill my boot with.
Great but it would sound better with 2 play 1's?
2 play 1's paired to stereo so much...
Published 5 months ago by TeeSee

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Sub and Play 3's, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Sonos SUB - Wireless Subwoofer for Sonos Systems (Electronics)
Having gradually updated my HiFi which started with a Play 5 for the kitchen and then included the Sonos pre-amp to run my very large Tannoy D700's in the lounge. I then decided I wanted more sound in the kitchen and went for the Sonos amp to run B&W M1's plus a Cambridge Audio sub. I then got a call from my local HiFi shop to inform me that I should come and listen to the new Sonos Sub. Always bad news as it usually costs a lot of money!
So went and had a look and listen and was blown away. Needles to say I have now replaced the kitchen set-up with 2 x Play 3's and the Sub (which at the moment is sitting on the worktop (and looks great). This set-up is much, much, much better than the B&W/Sonos/Cambridge Audio as it is all designed to work together with less wires and more flexibility. The sound quality as superb playing anything at any level and can go very, very loud indeed. The sub does not distort, but everything in the kitchen rattles.
If comparing to my Tannoy D700's, the Sonos is nearly as good. The Tannoys deliver a warmer richer sound whilst the Sonos set-up is more crisp and clean. I am sorely tempted to now go for 2 x Play 5's and a Sonos Sub to replace the Tannoy set-up but it's a tough one.
Money wise, it will cost around £1,100 for the 2 x Play 3's and Sub. Expensive yes, but it is a full music centre and you can start with 1 x Play 3, add another when the budget is there (and make them into a stereo pair) and then finally add the Sub to give the extra oomph. Yes, it is little pricey at £600 but beautifully made/looks great and works really well. In addition, you can tune it to the environment in which you are sighting it and change the base level to suit your own taste. Lastly unlike some other subs, it isn't just boom, boom, boom. It does an excellent job of playing musically (if you know what I mean!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I swore I'd never pay this much, then I heard it., 26 Jan. 2013
I was happy, more than happy with my Play 5 in the living room. I went to buy another Play 5 for the kitchen and they demoed the Sub. I ended up with both another Play 5 and the Sub and an uneasy feeling I'd spent too much . I was annoyed because I swore I'd never spend that much on the sub.

A few hours of listening and I can say I have no regrets. The Sub is subtle. It's not a boom box. It fills out the bottom frequencies linearly. You get bass that is warm and sweet. Even at low volumes the sub is doing a great job of filling things out. Trouble is, non sub rooms now sound terribly thin.

One thing to note if you have young kids or cats is the speakers are not grilled so placement to avoid curiosity leading to damage is something to consider.

It's a lot of money, but I think it's a worthwhile investment to take a system to an altogether new level.

RB

5.0 out of 5 stars A veil has been lifted, 6 Dec. 2014
a.k. (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've had this in my Wishlist for about 6 months and in my home for about 45mins and I am figuratively and physically blown away.

Let's do the setup first: I wasn't able to connect the sub through the Sonos Android app which does offer the option of adding a sub but only seems to accept players (with the volume + mute button combo), however the desktop (Mac) application does switch between the Player button combo and the sub's single button and I was able to pair it without any drama, the controller app also applied a software update.

I skipped the calibration option (I'll get around to it later) as I was dying to hear this thing in action. I queued-up my favourite track 'Olympians' by F Buttons (Amazon probably won't let me put in their actual name) and hit Play...then it happened... it's like listening to music without ear mufflers, it's like I had previously been listening to music underwater, the all-encompassing warmth and richness the sub provides made me forget the price tag in an instant. It's not about floor-vibrating bass you can feel in your kidneys, this isn't a sound system at the Notting Hill carnival, this is about the extra dimension in your music that you are probably blissfully unaware of, the sub provides the backwash of colour in each and every one of your tracks.

I've spent a good deal of these 45 minutes playing with the 'SUB On' checkbox in the preferences to hear the before/after effect of the sub and the overriding impression is how did I used to think my Play:5 ever sounded as great as I thought, it's like a veil has been lifted.

5.0 out of 5 stars It appears expensive but it's great value, 30 May 2014
This really is the perfect upgrade to the Sonos TV speaker. It adds depth and gravity without the thumbing boom associated with cheaper subs. Just add in a couple of Play 1s as a rear pair and you have a wireless 5.1 system. This was the only way my wife would let me get away with it - she is a 'wire free' gal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality and strength, 24 Dec. 2013
Great depth of sound, quality materials, fills the whole room, and more with resonating bass giving a sound experience experts would enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, 28 May 2013
Already had the Sonos 5 and decided to add to the sound quality levels. This is a significant addition and I'd thoroughly recommend it to those looking for easy to use, hassle free music in their home. Given that you can position it anywhere it should be an absolute must for those seeking an enhanced music system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 14 Mar. 2013
An unbelievable deal -- and arrived sooner than expected! Integrates seamlessly with the rest of the system and sounds great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Now!, 2 Jan. 2013
Yes its expensive but so are a decent pair of speakers.
Easy to set up and you will really hear the difference!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant !, 1 Jan. 2014
Aj Sumner "Andy S" (Southwell, Notts) - See all my reviews
Been putting off sonos for a while. But lots of different bluetooth devices driving me mad especially when devices change.

The play 1 got me interested. Bought one and loved it. Read the reviews of the sub (as i love bass !) and took the plung with a sub and another play 1 - wow ! Its expensive but is truly exceptional. Balanced and makes the play 1's come alive !

The system is so versatile cn easily split speakers back to other rooms for the kids, decouple the sub or allocate to one play 1 only which stil sounds great. All our iphones and ipads have the controller on and just signed uo to spotify as its integrated so well
The sub is so well made and excellent quality. Sonos never misses a beat and is heads and shoulders above airplay and bluetooth. You wont stop playing with it !

The sub is Exceptional. Its a lot of money but brilliant quality and sound and you just want to keep adding ! Brings your whole system to life !

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of money but worth it., 18 Oct. 2014
OK, I was a bit nervous about spending so much on a sub but felt the Playbar and surround Play:1s were lacking a bit of bass. The reviews convinced me, and have to say I'm quite amazed by the difference. The existing speakers just sound better, and the whole soundstage is enhanced.

Sonos SUB - Wireless Subwoofer for Sonos Systems
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available