5.0 out of 5 stars Expertly compiled British acid house collection
Even as a long-time fan of house music, I myself was only previously aware of about a quarter of the tracks on this album. I suspect that this 2CD could only have been put together by someone who worked in a record shop or DJed in the late eighties-early nineties.

Published on 31 July 2012 by Colin McCartney

1.0 out of 5 stars So far not so good
It might grow on me but so far I find the tracks odd, unheard of, and nothing special. Suprised I have not heard any of the tracks. A bit boring really!
Published on 30 April 2013 by Simon Mcdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Expertly compiled British acid house collection, 31 July 2012
Colin McCartney (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

At first listen I initially thought that the compiler, Richard Sen (who he?), was possibly being too wilfully obscure (we all have records we love but that's not always an excuse to showcase them to others) but I was wrong - there are some real gems on here. M.D.Emm's (Transmat-endorsed, AND an early Joey Negro collaboration to boot) "1666" is one of the better known pieces, as is "Bang Bang You're Mine" by Bang The Party (another UK act to have been honoured by a Transmat release - not this track though). Also familiar to many will be Baby Ford's Mr. Fingers-meets-Mayday "Crashing", as will Annette's "Dream 17" and "Born in the North" by Us - both of which feature (A Guy Called) Gerald Simpson. The importance of these releases cannot be understated today. Whilst the origins of this style of music are generally held to be American, but for the likes of Gerald and Baby Ford re-interpreting the sound and making it more palatable for the UK indie audience, it is in my view entirely possible that dance music may not have taken off in the UK in quite the way it did.

Less familiar (to me at any rate) but no less good is Julian Jonah's "Jealousy and Lies": put it this way - you will never listen to Electribe 101 in quite the same way again. Some of these songs might sound a little dated to begin with, but stick with it - repeated play rewards. It's a bit of an acid house history lesson and over the piece the compiler makes it very clear WHY these selections were influential.

This 2 disc set is nicely packaged with notes on each and every track and the mastering is pretty decent too.

I've found some of the previous Strut Records' compilations to be a little bit laboured and/or worthy in places but this one seems to have been a labour of love by the compiler, as opposed to an exercise in trendier-than-thou dance music egotism, and for that reason it just works on every level for me. Strongly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars So far not so good, 30 April 2013