on 15 February 2013
Ok, had the HDD for a little bit now to allow any teething troubles settle as previous reviews made me think about getting this model or a more expensive one.

So, I transferred my data off my 'master' HDD and kept it on there -just in case which turned out to be useful. I used the Buffalo a lot as its powered by USB unlike the 'master' which is still plugged in the wall due to the volume of it. I roughly filled half of the hard drive and was using it well when disaster struck........"Hard Disk Needs Formatting Before Use".

Great, i tried all sort of recovery options and programes but from then on in the files became corrupted and recovery was no longer an option - even using CHKDSK/F. So in the end I formatted the drive from FAT32 to NTFS increased the buffer on the format options and have been using for about a fortnight no problems.

I would suggest that formatting the drive first IS the better option as when one of my colleagues ordered the same drive I ran CHKDSK/F on it to find that strings on the drive itself where incorrect BEFORE any data was put on it. He now enjoys the same great storage solution as I do and don't envisage any further problems. The 'master' HDD has now had the duplicate files erased to free up extra space and i can see myself ordering another of these in the very near future.

Overall the product is great, fast load up time, decent transfer rate on USB/2 and very small and compact. The review is based on my experience with the product and the problems I have encountered, not the product as a whole. Anyone reading this review can avoid the problems by running Windows Command Prompt and running CHKDSK/F.
on 15 November 2012
Unfortunatly I can't agree with other reviews. My company bought around 6 of these drives. When working they are fine although for some reason some drives are around 4* slower than others - presumably the internals are different. The big problem however is that 2 of the drives (bought in seperate batches) have failed within a couple of months. As we have sensative data on the drives we are unable to return them. So we took them apart to find that they contain standard Western Digital drives which we could plug into a sata interface and recover our data - The problem was that the USB converter electronics had failed in both cases.
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2012
I purchased this as I needed a USB for backing up my photos and holiday videos. None of the USBs had a large enough memory and were really pricey, so I was advised about Buffalo. I love it. It was so quick and simple to copy things across and very convenient to store away. Another plus is that I can take it with me where ever I go, so if I've got holiday snaps to bore people I can plug it into their tv! - very handy. Really gorgeous sleek design and lightweight. A good purchase.
on 15 October 2012
bought this drive bye mistake i was in a hurry and didnt read the product specifications imagine my surprise when this tiny terabyte hd arrived i was gob smacked well i plugged it into my pc. windows 7 picked it up straight away and its absolutely fantastic not quiet as fast as an internal but not far behind im well pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone big advantage is u can unplug it and use it on laptop or any other pc superb product *****
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2013
I was originally very pleased with this product - arrived quickly, small, quiet and seemed to do the job perfectly.
However, after just over a month it failed (fortunately not whilst it was holding the backup for my iMac which was having it's internal hard drive replaced!).
I tried using the Mac disk utility to repair it, but that didn't work and I wasn't even able to erase it and start again. I called the manufacturer to see if there was anything they could do, but they just advised me to return it to Amazon.
I may have just been unlucky, but I would advise against using one to store valuable files...
on 5 January 2013
As the title states this product "Died" within a single month, and then caused a BSod.
You'll know when it fails, Clicking sound followed by a short sharp bleeping sound.

Received quickly, packaging was sufficient.
on 16 December 2012
This was a fine little drive that I was quite happy with, happy backing up all my stuff for just over a year... It waits until the warranty expires, then decides to fail and will not read at all. Shame, as it was all looking so promising....
on 8 December 2012
I bought this as a cheap weekly backup drive for my PC and laptop. At the price it appears to be good value. First impressions, really compact, I thought my Seagate FreeAgent drive was small but this beats it by a good margin. It looks smart with its piano black finish and full width blue power/data led. Feels slightly flimsy but no worse than any other plastic cased portable drive. The supplied USB cable is very short, thin and cheap looking, so short in fact that I can't plug it into my PC's front panel USB ports and put the drive on top of my PC case. I have a 1 metre USB extension cable from my PC to a USB dock on my desk, when I plugged it into this it started clicking, a good indicator of a failing hard drive. I returned it as faulty but I've just received a new one and it does exactly the same thing. I've plugged it directly to the PC with the supplied short cable and it works. I conclude that this drive is very sensitive to power drops along an extended cable. My Seagate and previous Western Digital worked faultlessly from my USB dock. With hindsight I wish I'd spent a bit more for Seagate or WD.

EDIT: Having had the opportunity to test this on a few USB cables I conclude that I wouldn't trust it at all on a cable longer than 500mm. I've also discovered it contains a Western Digital drive so the performance issues must be due to the USB interface inside the case.
on 20 July 2013
nice looking peice of kit and for a while I was happy with it, until it died on me without warning. I had intending buying a second HD to back this one up just in case it did fail. Unfortunately it failed before I got round to it. What makes it all the more annoying is I dont have it permanantly plugged into my laptop. It only gets plugged in when I have a large amount of data to backup. At the present time I have lost both mine and my wifes photos from the last 4 years. However there may be light at the end of the tunnel. After reading another 1 star review of this product and him giving me a clue as to what the problem may be, I'm going to try to fix this baby by either replacing the PCB or bypassing the USB part of the HD. Will let you know how I got on.
I had this hard drive and used it with no problems for around 4 months, but then it started playing up and eventually died. I lost a lot of information I can't get again. This was my first external hard drive, so I'm not sure if this is a common problem with other external hard drives too...... I've since bought some passport hard drives and I'm hoping they will last me a lot longer.
If you plan on storing important info for a long time, I wouldn't recommend you buy this drive. If you just want a drive to keep things temporarily or move MP3s from one device to another - something like that, this is fine I guess.... but if you have the extra money you should get a better drive to be on the safe side.
DO NOT TRUST THIS TO KEEP YOUR FILES SAFE!