5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely supernatural romance
I have read a lot of Lisa Kleypas books both historical and contemporary. This book is the third in the Friday harbour series, and if you like books that lean towards fantasy and the supernatural you will love this one. I was hooked from the word go! Looking forward to reading the next one in the series, Crystal Cove.
Published 4 months ago by mrs jenny l hardcastle

My intro to this series was Mark and Maggie's book, which was innocent, sexy and heartwarming, so I was pleased to find this one. However, I found myself more intrigued by the ghost in the tale, and its love story, than the love story between Zoe and Alex - theirs was missing passion, and frankly, seemed one-sided.

I accept that these are gentler romances than...
Published 22 months ago by ROROBLU'S MUM

3.0 out of 5 stars Something is missing. And the timeline is a bit skewed, which proper editing should have sorted out., 29 Aug 2012
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

I accept that these are gentler romances than her historicals, but there was hardly any passion between the leads, and frankly, from Alex's manner, I wondered why Zoe bothered with him - it seemed as if she was the one making the moves and the efforts and him always having to be coerced into everything. On the other hand, the ghost and Emma's tale was sad, emotional and heartwarming, a bit reminiscent of the movie Ghost and Forever Young, and I was more into that than the main romance.

At the start of the tale, there's mention of Mark and Maggie's wedding, and yet, way before that happened in their tale, Alex had broken up with Darcy, but in this tale, it seems as if Alex has moved on from the split, the divorce is finalised and all is done and dusted, seemingly in the drop of a hat (there's no mention of how long has lapsed); the timeline seemed skewed.

Overall, it was a pleasant enough read, if you don't consider it a romance first and foremost, but it's not a patch on some of bordering-on-the-erotic historicals, at which this author excels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely supernatural romance, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dream Lake: Number 3 in series (Friday Harbor) (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dream Lake, 27 Jun 2013
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
''Dream Lake' follows the relationship of Zoe Hoffman, a romantic idealist and Alex Nolan, cynical yet sexy carpenter. Zoe is developing a house so she can care for her grandmother who has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia, and Alex is brought in to convert it to a suitable living space. However, recovering alcoholic Alex is followed by a ghost that only he can see, a ghost who wants to answer the questions about his own life...

The book started slowly, but when it did gain pace I found I was hooked. I particularly loved the descriptions of the gourmet food Zoe cooks- mouthwatering stuff!

I wasn't familiar with the author before, but the cover describes her as 'up there with Marian Keyes and Cecelia Ahern' and a 'New York Times bestseller'. I can certainly see elements of Cecelia Ahern in her writing style, as well as Sarah Addison Allen.

7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 13 Feb 2013
I enjoyed every second of it. Alex is just Alex and ZOe is the perfect woman for him. X x

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 18 Jan 2013
I was lucky enough to win this paperback from a giveaway on Dizzy C's Little Book Blog. I'll be truthful and say that I probably wouldn't have picked this book up if I saw it in a shop but I'm immensely glad that I won it and got the chance to read it, I feel like I would've missed out if I hadn't. This book is part of the Friday Harbor series and it didn't seem to matter that I haven't read any of the other books - it works well as a standalone.

It started with an introduction to the ghost, I was so intrigued by him because he knew nothing about himself and I couldn't wait to join him on his journey to discover everything he needed to know. After Sam Nolan had bought the house that the ghost was currently living in/haunting, he began renovating with the help of his brother Alex. It was Alex's arrival at the house that marked a significant change for the ghost because Alex was able to hear and see him!

Most of the characters in this book had some kind of sad story to tell, it was filled with complicated family dynamics and lives that had been tinged with sadness. It wasn't all seriousness and heartbreak though, there were quite a few times when I found myself laughing out loud - the tense friendship between Alex and the ghost caused most of my laughs. I loved how the ghost became a part of Alex's everyday life, casually involving himself in his conversations and interactions.

The chemistry between Alex and ZoŽ was hot and I was glued to the pages hoping that things would work out for them. ZoŽ had a wonderful relationship with her Grandmother, Emma, who was struggling with some health issues and being a familiar subject to me I found I could relate to this side of the book easily.

It was very easy to visualise everything from the descriptions, particularly all the mouth-watering food, and I think that it would make a wonderful movie. I enjoyed trying to piece together all the clues of the ghosts life and was relieved to finally discover the truth about it all.

I read this in less than a day, by the time I reached the end I simply could not stop the tears from falling and I finished the book feeling strangely relaxed even though I had been crying so much!

This was an incredible read, it was thought-provoking and emotional. I definitely want to read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 11 Nov 2012
A rare find with a unique story telling perspective. Likeable characters and a need to turn the page! This is a great read

4.0 out of 5 stars suprisingly good, 11 Nov 2012
Z. Dillon (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I wasnt expecting too much as I hadnt read any of her books before but boy was I suprised. Really good book with a lovely little storyline and romance. What got me was how realistic and flawed the cgarcters were. They certainly arent the usual perfect hero/heroine but are all the more likeable for it. I would recommend as the book is an easy read on a cold evening

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 12 Oct 2012
I had already read the other books about the 2 brothers, and enjoyed them so much I got this one. She (the author) reminds me in ways of the Nora Roberts family trilogies, etc, so I knew it would be good. Her descriptions of the area made me want to be there! I recommend this to anyone who likes Lisa Keyplass

3.0 out of 5 stars Kleypas can do better, 21 Sep 2012
Readers who loved the previous books in Kleypas' Friday Harbor series, (Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor and Rainshadow Road), are likely to love Dream Lake. I had a more mixed reaction to Rainshadow Road, and although my problems with Dream Lake are slightly different, it left me with a similarly ambivalent feeling.

*Please note that there are mild spoilers below.*

In each of the Friday Harbor books the main characters have some magical ability. In Rainshadow Road this subplot was awkward and irrelevant to the overall storyline. In Dream Lake Alex's "magic" serves an important role in advancing the plot; (he is the only one able to see and interact with a ghost, who becomes an important character in his own right). ZoŽ's "magic" on the other hand, feels like a last minute addition that has little impact.

Unlike Kleypas' normally excellent writing, characterization is one of the most uneven parts of Dream Lake. Alex is a recovering alcoholic who struggles with any type of interpersonal relationship. His difficulties with sobriety, relationships, and his love for ZoŽ, although not unique, are well written. His past on the other hand, which has directly lead to his current problems, is muddled. We are told several times that the Nolan parents were abusive, neglectful drunks, and that Alex "had the worst of it" compared to his brothers, but what that entailed, and why Alex alone was so affected is never detailed. ZoŽ's past, equally important to her development, is similarly murky. Even more unfortunately, although we watch Alex make peace with his past and change for the better, ZoŽ never particularly advances. Other reviewers have noted ZoŽ's unrelenting cheer and refusal to anger over anything; in the book ZoŽ comments that when she was a child she never felt able to show when she was upset and always pretended to be happy, and Alex thinks to himself that she still does the same thing... but there is no resolution of this, or many of ZoŽ's other problems.

ZoŽ and Alex's careers, as a chef and contractor/carpenter respectively, are incredibly important to each of them. Therefore, they rate discussion time in the book, and because both are outside the norm, they would be interesting for the reader to learn more about. However, as with Sam's interest in technology in Rainshadow Road, Kleypas' attempt to relay this comes across as major, repeated info dumps, rather than her usual agile writing.

In the end Dream Lake is a decent contemporary romance as long as you're not expecting perfection. But as Kleypas has demonstrated over and over agian in the past, she's capable of much more and I can't help but hope for better in Crystal Cove.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fab book in the series, 8 Sep 2012
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Alex, the youngest of the Nolan brother's, has been hitting the bottle even more than usual following his separation from wife Darcy so he thinks he's going mad when he starts seeing and hearing a ghost whilst doing renovation work at his brother Sam's house. The ghost is that of a WWII pilot who doesn't know who he is and is surprised that Alex can actually see and hear him, he's also happy to find that now that he's got a human connection he can actually leave the house that he's been trapped in for years.

Zoe moved back to the island when her marriage broke down and has been working as a cook at her cousin Justine's B&B and has been leading a very solitary life.

Alex and Zoe first meet when she brings some muffins to her friend Lucy who has been staying at Sam Nolan's house following an accident. She later contacts him for a quote to renovate a house that she's bought to enable her to bring her Gran to the island as she wants to be able to look after her to pay her back for bringing her up as a child after both of her parents abandoned her.

There's an initial attraction between Alex and Zoe when they first meet but both of them have closed themselves off following the break ups of their previous relationships so are resistant to the pull of their feelings every time they meet. Can they overcome these to enable them both to move on?

At first I was a bit bemused by the storyline of the ghost but the more I read the more I loved this quirky subplot and was intrigued to find out exactly who he was and what his connection was to the house.

This is another mystical romantic story from Ms Kleypas that once I started I could not put down. I'm already looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Crystal Cove, which is due out early next year.