4.0 out of 5 stars Carefully compiled
Published on 14 Aug 2012 by Lucy C

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and irritating
Published on 3 Aug 2012 by Damaskcat

4.0 out of 5 stars Carefully compiled, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: Latte or Cappuccino?: 125 Decisions That Will Change Your Life (Kindle Edition)
While it may seem common sense, what I found important about this book is that it looks to be very carefully based on scientific evidence. This is really important since there is so much that is guesswork to be found about the kind of things the book covers. Anyone who thinks it is common-sense could perhaps congratulate themselves on having been able to keep up with the latest evidence. Not everyone is so well placed or has the time, hence the great value of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solution to all those daily niggles, 12 Oct 2012
From the moment the alarm goes off, we are all faced with choice - what to have for breakfast, what to wear, whether to shower, or not. And so on. This book scythes through all that, giving properly researched information about what is the best choice to make - whether it's healthier to drink a latte or a cappuccino, to floss or brush, to shower or bath.
By simply showing one choice against another, all the way down through the average day, Hilly Janes reveals how we can actually revolutionise our health - merely by replacement. The book is pithy and backed up with proper facts. It's a properly researched, easily digestible volume whose findings lodge in your head long after you've read them. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choice Item, 25 Oct 2012
Easy to read, with plenty of well-researched information about all sorts of decisions you make every day about food, work, socialising etc. I bought it for my wife but we've both switched to some of the choices that were new to us, and we both feel better in ourselves and better informed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and irritating, 3 Aug 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The media is always full of contradictory advice on many daily choices. Should you go to work on an egg? Should you wear flat shoes or ones with heels? Should you insist on the family eating together? What is the best way to combat insomnia? It is interesting to see which dilemmas are selected for inclusion in this book. Do people really agonise over which deodorant to use? If stick deodorants are the best why are there so few on the market for women? I was left wondering about this last question and trying to decide when I had last seen a stick deodorant in with the women's deodorants though you can find many brands for men.

I started off thinking this book would be an interesting read but I rapidly lost patience with it because of the trivial nature of the issues presented. It is clearly aimed at women because of the topics included - such as whether to wear heels or flatties, and it seems to see women as the people who control all households. I doubt if people think about the calorie content of a cup of coffee before they buy it - they just think they need a coffee. Most of the answers are common sense in my opinion and as in the main the source of the information is not quoted it isn't possible for the interested reader to follow up on the research mentioned in the text.

An interesting read but it left me wondering whether anyone does actually pay attention to all the scare stories for longer than a few minutes. After all we were urged to go to work on an egg; then a few years later we were told we should restrict our egg intake and now eggs are good again because they fill you up and if you have them for breakfast they keep you going until lunchtime and there is no weekly limit. I think the answer is to do what seems good for you at the time and you can guarantee that research will catch up with your way of thinking eventually.

5.0 out of 5 stars GIFT BOOK, 21 July 2013
I was so pleased with this item I immediately ordered another one. would recommend without a doubt.Thank you very much

5.0 out of 5 stars really interesting, 28 Jun 2013
I found this book really interesting, some of the bits I knew but for the most I didn't.
a lot of this is very surprising.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 9 Feb 2013
Latte or Cappuccino is brilliantly researched and reads like a quiz book as you're constantly pitting your knowledge against the experts 'right' answer. I found out lots of things I never knew before - eat kiwis rather than oranges (though I do know people who eat the skin too) and that McDonalds wins out over KFC (I will never feel guilty about McDonalds again - only joking. A lot of fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 14 Aug 2012
I thought this book would give me more reason go choose a certain item over another, giving interesting advice and facts that I didn't already know, however most of it was as simplistic as don't take a bath it uses more water, a fact which many of us know, and choose this because it's healthier.Therefore I am very disappointed with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars problem with the kindle edition, 8 Aug 2012
When I increase the text size on this book there are still bits that remain their original size. The little 'did you know' bits at the end of each chapter are still in tiny grey text. I'm probably not missing much but it's still quite annoying.