• Voice

on 31 January 2013
With his 2012 album "Voice" Brian Kennedy expands his vocal horizons, honestly and stylishly - with 8 of 15 tracks being new originals.

It's Brian's uniquely rich, passionate and beautiful voice evidenced in the opening traditional "I Wonder What Is Keeping My True Love Tonight?" which will bring me back to this album again and again. That's the only track produced by Brian and his long term collaborator Callum MacColl and there's a natural synergy which makes this recording timeless.

"The Ballad Of You & Me" is a standout among the rest of the Billy Farrell productions - an original song which comes straight from the heart. I love that Brian is not just a damned fine musician who happens to be gay - but is also brave enough to let us see love and attraction through his eyes, and he never pussyfoots around pronouns.

Mark Nevin's "Absent Friend" is a truly moving song - offering gentle advice in favour of aiming for an amicable separation, rather than harbouring resentment. The other Nevin song "Imaginary Conversations" is equally incisive and impressive.

"Try To Harmonise" has music by Brian, but the lyrics are by Paul Muldoon - even though this is clearly a mini bio of Brian's own story. Paul's wonderful poetry is perfectly matched by Brian's detailed composition and I love the arrangement and production which bring this story to life.

Brian's "Best Friend" is a celebratory number which ought to be a very popular song for people to share as gift.

There's a lot to like about "Voice" - including the laid back splendour of the Brendan Murphy collaborations "On A Clear Day" and "Sunday Morning" - and for any person who already knows Brian Kennedy's music, and how great his is as a live performer, this should be an immediate purchase. You won't hear him in finer form - or more perfectly produced. Confidently very highly recommended.
on 5 March 2014
I find I get frustrated with Brian Kennedy's albums, purely because the man has a wonderful gift of a voice, but I find the contemporary songs he records are just not good enough for him! He could sing the most challenging songs and make them magical, but none of the songs on this album fall into that category in my view. 'I Wonder What is Keeping my True Love Tonight' is a haunting opener to the album but I found the other songs did not come up to that standard. I will buy Brian Kennedy's albums because I admire him tremendously, but wish he could find some songs that are worthy of The Voice.
I really enjoyed this new CD from Brian, all new songs apart from one, I can listen to it over and over again, only problem is it is toooo short!!!
on 30 June 2012
I'm glad to report that Brian's latest CD "Voice" see's Brian back to top form. Like a lot for Amazon reviewers, I found his last offering "Interpretations" a pretty bland affair,apart from the superb cover of Clifford T Ward's "Gaye", I hated the "OAP" style production on the music,but hey..that's the past.

What we get from "Voice" is a great collection of New Songs,with a better mix of Up,Mid and slow tempo songs and of great lyric's to boot. Stand Out Tracks are,Broken Crown,Absent Friend,Try To Harmonize,Best Friend,Imaginary Conversations and Only All The Time.It's great to hear Brian mixing it up with different writers and musicians.

Yes as you can see,lot's of stand out tracks, so go purchase the New CD or Download the MP3, it's great to hear Brian Back on Top Form Again!
on 19 June 2013
This is an excellent in car CD and even 4 and 16 year olds enjoy singing along to the lyrics
on 30 July 2014
Bought as present for my wife who has stated this is Brian's best album yet.