4.0 out of 5 stars Great story but....
A really good story that keeps me guessing right to the end. Would have given it 5 stars of our wasn't for the slightly odd writing style which made it difficult to follow at times.
Published on 5 Jun. 2013 by Geoff Sharpe

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending.....
I was intrigued by the synopsis of the book and as soon as I had finished my current novel I decided to read The Missing. The book started well however the main character John became a bit unbelievable in both his thinking and actions. Also, I found some of the actions, and lack of them, taken (or not) by the police hard to swallow.

I felt the story was a bit...
Published on 22 Jun. 2012 by Minimoo

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story but...., 5 Jun. 2013
Geoff Sharpe (North Somerset, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mystery Thriller, 25 May 2014
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)
The Missing is one of them stories that keeps you guessing and continually questioning the integrity of the characters potrayed.
Dennison is initially written as a mentally unbalanced individual whose only hope of salvation is the help of the detective Kate Nielson who promises to help him find his missing girlfriend while the rest of the Police force write him off as an attention seeker.
At the same time there are a series of murders in London of women who are sexually assaulted then killed, creating the question whether Dennison is actually involved.

The book draws on the character of Dennison, questioning whether he is schizophrenic and his girlfriend is either a hallucination or a figment of his imagination. The consensus being that Dennison is an obsessive and desperate individulal who wont let go of his suspicions.
But the whole story begins to unfold towards the end, with characters revealed as not being as savoury as initially thought.
If you like murder mysteries that keep you guessing and garnering attention of the reader. You could do no worse than pick up this read.
A notably and worthy 8.5\10

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending....., 22 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)

I felt the story was a bit slow however picked up pace just over half way through. It really picked up pace at the end when pretty much the whole plot was explained in a couple of pages! I found the ending to be very rushed and as a result I was very disappointed, it made what was ultimately a pretty good read a bit 'meh'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and very readable, 28 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)
This book, as many of the other reviewers have said, is a fast paced thriller which grips you from the very first chapter, with the essence of the story starting more or less straightaway. I too found the characters well described and believable and the couple of little sub-stories going on with the lady police officer and the security guard were interesting little distractions from the main story. Bit gruesome in parts, but it's all in the context of the story. Unfortunately, quite a lot of spelling errors/typos but if you can take that in your stride, which I did, then it doesn't detract from the book too much at all. Well written - I can almost visualise the author typing like a fury, writing it as fast as he could to get his ideas onto paper! Would recommend this to thriller-lovers - something a little different from the norm and good entertainment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lame, 27 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)
John really is one of the most annoying characters I have encountered. OK, he's not meant to be Jack Reacher, and I didn't want that, but to have him running around getting into trouble with other characters who may or may not be involved, and falling foul again and again of the police as a result, is surely not the best way to develop a plot.
However, after all the earlier frustrations of this book, there was still a chance of a good ending, a final twist about what really happened to Jennie, but the author misses an open goal here. Is she after all still alive? Was there more to her disappearance than met the eye? Is she trapped forever in some mystery location? NO...there is no mystery or intrigue at all about what happened. It's just like John thought it was all along. Yes, the identity of the killer is revealed, but that's no great revelation, and the showdown between hero, killer and police officer is very low-key and is over very quickly and easily. The most interesting bit of the novel, why did Jennie lie and why is she not who and what she had said she was, is wrapped up in a page or two of 'summary' discussion at the end, which was hugely disappointing. In fact, it was never made clear what actually did happen to Jennie, but by then I just didn't care, because I didn't believe any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed it!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)
The Missing is a gripping, psychological page turner. I read this book in less than a day as i kept me turning pages. I would recomend it to anyone who appreciates a well written story line and suspense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book; it's a very well written thriller, keeping you guessing. I couldn't put it down, I do hope the author has another novel lined up, I would definitely buy more of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in a long time!, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)
Loved it! I can't understand the negative reviews for The Missing. What's not to like? What's wrong with a few typos? If you concentrate on looking for mistakes how can you review a book for it's true worth?
The missing has a great plot, well thought out, and twists you don't see coming. The book draws you in from the beginning. A psychological thriller at it's best. Would've gave it another star but we are only allowed 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather middling plot-wise, but stellar writing skills-kudos, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)
This book started very well, sadly the "missing partner"/mysteriously disappeared spouse storyline/mini-genre has NOT been built upon to any great degree in this book. A shame really, as the style and pace are very good.
Perhaps something a wee bit more original next time? I get the feeling this writer could give us a gripping telling of a well structured drama. Heck, I'd publish it for you! ;)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nasty, 9 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Missing (Kindle Edition)
This is a nasty book. Nasty in the sense that it is full of the brutalisation and humiliation of women coupled with torture and a good dose of sadism. The hero is John who is as intelligent as your average tree stump and as emotionally overloaded as a two-year old. He has met Jennie and within three weeks of extravagant entertainment and wooing, he wants to marry her - madly, madly! Problem is she disappears. Her disappearance is coupled with a serial killer who has just completed victim 10 (or was it 11). John, with hormones racing like an adolescent and heart beating wildly on his sleeve, manages to thwart every police effort through burglary and idiocy. It is all too silly for words. These extravagant actions - mirroring his wild wooing - serve only to reinforce the readers' belief that the man is a complete nutcase (so aptly stated by the senior detective). Only really desperate women need look him up. For those who like reading about women being raped, degraded and cut about, there will be five stars. As for me, I like my horror more subtly portrayed and better written. The book is free of loving sex (so no well-thumbed passages) and the reveal is full of clichéd psychology: my father/mother beat/humiliated me. My father/mother sexually abused/left me to suffer. Women ignored/taunted me making them all bitches/tarts....etc and must now be made to pay/suffer/raped/murdered, my pain must be expunged/satisfied, blah, blah. You've read all this before and perhaps wondered how it is that psychopaths have such remarkable insight into their murderous and warped behaviour. The denouement is obvious and is all rather `with one bound Jill was free' - not, of course, without having been stripped and humiliated to within an inch of her life which is what you had expected/hoped from a book like this.

The Missing