5.0 out of 5 stars Really Really Useful & Informative
Having read Scott's Lightroom 4 book (which I highly recommend) I thought I'd try these books and have not been dissappointed.

Published on 17 Aug. 2012 by Suenos6

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, Annoying and Unreadable
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Really Useful & Informative, 17 Aug. 2012
Suenos6 (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4 (Kindle Edition)

I guess you could classify me as an "advanced amateur" and in my view these books are aimed at either photographers like me or more advanced/semi pro/pro photographers. Let me explain why by way of example: one of the tips in one of the books (I can't now remember which -may be book 1) concerns trying to get pin sharp focussing of the eyes in portrait photography. Scott doesn't explain that you should first lock focus onto the eye and then recompose the shot (we know that anyway), but he does go on to explain how you can use a different method to ensure pin sharp results particularly when using fast lenses with wide apertures such as f1.4 etc. If none of that made sense to you then I'd suggest the book may be a little advanced for you. Conversly, if you not only understood it but am intrigued as to how to improve your success rate for getting pin sharp results then buy the books.

I have to confess that I probably knew about 50% of what is in these books but nevertheless still well worth buying for the other half.

I bought the kindle edition and thought it really good value for 4 books for just under £30 (this was the price at time of purchase - August 2012). The only downside is that, unlike the kindle version for his Lightroom 4 book, the fact that all the images are black & white (kindle version only) means you cannot always fully see the effect he is trying to demonstratere. This didn't really bother me but I could imagine some people finding this really annoying and demanding their money back. Perhaps best to spend an extra £10 and get the colour hardback/paperback.

To conclude, well written, really easy to understand books that cover just about any photographic situation you could find yourself in. It is just like having a pro photographer stood next to you clearly explaining what you should do. A real good reference library of information I will no doubt keep referring back to. Thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great books, 18 May 2013
Great photobooks.
Good information on how to make better pictures.
lots og hints and tips
Great value for the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and great value, 3 May 2013
......the author also has a great sense of humour.
I recommend purchase either as a treat for self or gift

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Feb. 2013
Excellent books for understanding the full range of digital photography. The books are well laid out with good photographs. I bought the Kindle issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't regret buying this book, 1 Oct. 2012
Brilliant! Entertainingly written & full of good stuff which is presented in photo project sized bites. Some of the purchasing recommendations are USA- centric though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, Annoying and Unreadable, 5 Oct. 2014
1) The author, on just about every page, has to try and be funny 2) He isn't funny 3) If you erased all the wasted text of him trying to be funny you could possibly condense all four books into one meaningful book containing useful photographic information 4) If I wanted to buy a boxed set of books containing silly jokes then that would be fine, but these were not advertised as such 5) Avoid - unless you want to be constantly annoyed by the endless silly quips and comments - most of which have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy vol 1 and 2, forget the rest., 9 Jan. 2015
good for beginners. A lot of the series though is repetitive. Some of it is geared to semi or full time professionals, for instance the sections on using flash and interior lighting are hardly geared towards the amateur. Mr Kelby I feel is trying to maximise his potential audience at the expense of greater value. Stick to vols 1 and 2 unless you intend going beyond being an amateur.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content good., 21 April 2014
Content good but should have bought the paperback as I found it too hard to use on the kindle, in the end bought the paperback too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 8 Jan. 2014
Really easy to read and understand. Great pictures to show you what they mean, even for those who are not great readers, fab
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Practical., 1 Dec. 2013
very useful and all the different aspects of ptotography explained simply and practicaly. i would recommend it to anyone wanting to take better photos.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›