5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story!
This is the first book I have read by Hilary Boyd, and it was such a fascinating read.

Published on 27 Aug. 2012 by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up to debut novel
This is the author's second novel, the first being Thursdays in the Park which I read last year, featuring an older couple and their romance which is rather refreshing.

Published on 24 Feb. 2013 by Elaine Simpson-long

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story!, 27 Aug. 2012
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Paperback)

The story focuses on Annie, a mother of three grown-up children (Ed, Marsha and Lucy) with a thriving cake business, a loving husband and a beautiful home, she has a happy, happy life. But it turns out Annie has been harbouring a secret - She had a baby boy when she was 18 and gave him up for adoption after only a few days with him. Unexpectedly, Annie receives a letter from Social Services, her little boy is now a man in his thirties called Daniel, and he wants to meet her. This is wonderful news, and terrifying at the same time as her current children are unaware he even exists. What follows is the bombshell revelation and the aftermath of a family struggling to adjust to the new arrival...

Hilary Boyd has written this story with such care and delicacy regarding the subject matter. I've never read a story about a mother who has given up her baby for adoption, and the grown-up child coming back looking for answers, and I must say I was hooked from reading the blurb on the back alone. The story was very thought-provoking, as I read the pages it encouraged me to think about what I would do if I was in that situation. Would I keep a secret that big for so long? Would I feel able to tell my loving family that I'd given my first child up for adoption as a baby? I'm lending this book to my Nan after I have read it and I'm sure she will be equally as enthralled with the story as I was.

One thing I really did like about Tangled Lives was that we see things from not only Annie's perspective. Hilary Boyd has written chapters in showing things from her grown-up children's sides - it really adds to the story, making it very interesting and captivating, creating a new depth to the book. I particularly enjoyed reading Ed's sections about how he was reacting to the events that were unfolding.

Tangled Lives is a heart-warming story about a family adjusting to a big secret, and the ripple effects that it has on each family member. There are a few surprises in the book that I really did not see coming, and that kept me wanting to read on more. Hilary Boyd is a clearly talented author who has written a wonderful, charming story which I'm sure will touch readers hearts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking story!, 12 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Paperback)
This is a very well crafted novel. I read it in one sitting! It isn't like a thriller that you can't put down but it is compelling and I just had to go on reading! I found the same about Hilary's first novel, Thursdays in the Park. She has the ability to get inside the character's heads and it all seems real...I would highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant read for those in similar situations, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very interesting (although fiction!) because i have been in a similar situation, having given up children when I was young and trying to re-establish a relationship with them in later life. I was pleased that the author didn't make it all sweetness and light, but instead portrayed all the emotions that "real" people feel. Recommended read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up to debut novel, 24 Feb. 2013
Elaine Simpson-long (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Paperback)

This latest title also features an older couple, Annie and Richard Delancey, married for years, grown up family and settled life. Though her husband knows, her children are unaware that Annie gave up a son for adoption when she was nineteen and now this son wishes to meet her. Overjoyed and delighted to see him it is not till later that she realises that her family are now as thrilled as she is to greet a new relative. Her son reacts with jealousy and doubt and though her two daughters are more welcoming, the entire family is thrown into disarray. Well written and perceptive I read this through in one sitting. My only criticism is of the resolution to an event which threatens to split the family totally - I guessed what the outcome would be and I felt, in a way, that it was the easy and obvious way out. Others may disagree, but apart from this, I thought this an enjoyable book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Holiday Read, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book having previously read and enjoyed another book by this author. I was not disappointed this time either. Good family story and you could never tell what the outcome would be. Recommended read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very unusual storyline, 12 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed reading this tale of complicated families. Makes you realise you're not unique, that all families have their own skeletons!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 28 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book because what happened to the family happens to people in every day life. Real experiences.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Page Turner, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Kindle Edition)
Easy to read, and true to life.
Believable characters and a great story line.
Enjoyed this book and look forward to reading another by Hilary Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating family story - I couldn't put it down, 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Kindle Edition)
This is such an intriguing idea - the long-lost adopted child turning up again in adulthood. This is a fairly recent probability, since the change in the law allowing adopted children to track down their birth parents. The story tackles head-on all the problems you might imagine - how will the adult child and birth parent take to each other? Will either, or both, of them be disappointed? How will the birth parent's new family react to the new arrival, particularly the eldest son who suddenly finds that he is no longer the eldest son? A sure recipe for fireworks. I couldn't put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, I'm afraid, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Tangled Lives (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved When you Walked Back into my Life and then Thursday's in the Park so, (after reading an amazing thriller which left me needing something light to read) I picked this up with glee, expecting a lovely, warm and fuzzy read; I was so wrong. This is just not of the standard of the other two. I know this was the second book by Hilary Boyd and that I have read them 'out of order' so to speak but it feels like it was written by someone else.

I think I knew I really didn't like it from the outset but stuck with it as I thought it would get better.

I'm not sure where the title comes from but the is nothing tangled about this family's life at all, just a lot of jealousy about a man who finds his birth mother and the husband and son of the mother feel left out. That's about it really, the rest is completely boring and a completely expected outcome.

I did find the whole thing very twee with snobby upper class English characters.

I'm glad this wasn't the first Hilary Boyd book I picked up, otherwise I wouldn't have read (and just loved) her other two.

Tangled Lives