4.0 out of 5 stars When the Wall came tumbling down: a poetic observation
Published 11 months ago by C. G. M. Bekhuis

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment.
Disappointing, all rather repetitive in spite of what the reviews said. The organisation of the book seemed to lack structure.
Published 8 months ago by n. Henshaw

4.0 out of 5 stars When the Wall came tumbling down: a poetic observation, 15 Aug 2013
C. G. M. Bekhuis "ChrisX" (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roads to Berlin (Hardcover)
I am fascinated by 20th century history and especially by eyewitness reports covering that period. Berlin is now the capital of a country which for me is just a stone's throw away but still remained quite an elusive big neighbour. While visiting a local bookstore just to pass some time my attention was grabbed by the title of this book and out of curiosity I started to read the first pages to see wether the style of the writing appealed to me. Something I had to do since it had been quite a long time ago since I read anything with a literary / poetic inclination. But within a few pages I was gripped by the narrative and observations. Cees Nooteboom was a guest of this city at a crucial point in time, something he at the beginning of his stay really couldn't have foreseen. He was a witness, but at the same time a distant spectator, of the events surrounding the fall of the Berlin Wall. He took us on this journey in which he confronts this city, its history and the effect it has had on his, Nooteboom's, personal history.

This book has on the one hand a very light touch in its style of writing (at times you read through pages at a lightning speed), almost poetic but on the other hand there were moments it was quite heavy handed and filled with literary references with which I had no connection or were even totally unknown to me. Luckily those moments were fleeting and they didn't detracted from the pleasure I had in reading his observations. In fact, it has made me even more curious about this virtually unknown neighbour of mine and has also rekindled my urge to visit this fascinating city again.

4.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary writer, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Roads to Berlin (Kindle Edition)
Well known in many countries, but perhaps not well enough in the UK! A superb writer, historian - and philosopher in that grand European tradition. This narrative about Germany pre and post the Wall taught me so much about Europe and where it may or might go. It makes the current concerns in the UK about Europe seem, well really, pathetic! A new vision ...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Journey worth taking, 10 July 2014
A thoughtful, wonderful, penetrating work of art, written with enviable grace and wisdom

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment., 8 Nov 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read, 30 Nov 2013
I'm not able to review the contents as I was unable to open the tightly bound book sufficiently to be able to read what was between the covers. I really mean to return it and get my money back!

Roads to Berlin