5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, nuff said.
I recently bought one of these from a local dealer and I have to say this is the best camera I've ever used. My requirements were I wanted a camera that was still set up for excellent still work, but could also switch to taking videos.

Still work
Published 20 months ago by D. Pepper

3.0 out of 5 stars Grey Import?
As usual Cannon have made an excellent camera. However I have wondered if I have been provided with a grey import. All the details were in Estonian and the box had been opened and warranty documents and the instruction book removed. (presumably because they were in a foreign tongue) the upshot is I have no way of registering the camera for future upgrades or warranty...
Published 12 months ago by michael garrity

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, nuff said., 24 Aug 2012
D. Pepper (UK) - See all my reviews

Still work
The 18MP sensor is all I need for helping me to take incredibly detailed shots which even of subjects at a distance can easily be cropped and or blown up to help reveal the detail (I'm a wildlife photographer mostly, though not all the time). The fast shutter speed also helps with taking sharp images of moving subjects such as birds in flight.

Video work
This is the main area of expansion for me, although I don't use any of the dedicated canon series of lenses for video work. Instead I've mostly connected my 100-400 EF lens, which thanks to its extra width allows for more light to enter the camera which is perfect for taking high definition videos of distant subjects that you simply cannot get close to. An additional bonus with this camera is when I add the canon EF 2x III extender into the mix. Normally an extender added to a canon 100-400 EF lens will result in the loss of the autofocus working, but when I switch the 650D to video mode, the autofocus WORKS! (and without taping the pins) I don't know exactly why, it just does, maybe its the firmware inside the camera. Still photos can of course still be taken when in video mode, but you need to look at the screen instead of through the viewfinder.

Video can be recorded in brackets of several seconds which can then be watched in order to give the impression of a continous effect. Usually so far I just film with the standard settings (at 1080 high def) which results in a file that is just a bit short of thirty minutes long. If you run over this time though I think the camera does instantly create and start recording to a second file (this is in the manual, I've not actually had to put this to the test yet).

Because video work brings a whole new dimension to this camera you do need to consider a few things. One is that recording videos on the max quality setting will result in some large file sizes, so you will need a memory card to accomdate these. I would not consider anything less than 32GB which is what I have now, but I'm giving serious thought to replacing this with a 64GB card in the near future. Two, if you don't already have one get a tripod, especially if you are filming things at high magnifications. With still work you can get away with a little judder by using a fast shutter speed, but video will always show it in detail. Of course another advantage of a tripod is that you can be in your own films! You also have to consider the sound pickup from the microphones that are on top of the camera. Even when you turn their sensitivity down they can still pick up unwanted sounds such as the autofocus motors for the lens that you are using. Canon has timed the release of two lens to coincide with the launch of the 650D that have extra quiet motors for video work, but unless you are using these always consider the noise of the lens as a factor. If you manually focus though, you'd probably get little to no sound from the lens at all, and depending upon your subject and its location, manual focus might actually be preferable. You can also fit a second external mic into the jack on the left hand side of the camera which should overide the feed from the fitted mics as soon as it is connected. The kind of mic to use would depend on how you want to record sound, but I myself am looking at getting a decent shotgun mic since this will mostly pick up sound in a narrow arc in front of it, and the subjects I've started filming are usually some distance in front of the camera.

The other major conideration is battery life. Over a six hour period of combined still shooting and video work where I might take up to an hour of video and have around 150-200 stills, I'd probably use up around half the battery. This is okay for a limited shoot around a local area but not so great if away for the day since at some point you are likely to exhaust you battery depending upon the lens, settings and how much video/stills you take. A second battery would be a very good idea if you are likely to be spending upto a full dawn till dusk day shooting.

Other features about the 650D are the touchscreen display which has easily recieved the most attention at the launch of this camera. I have tried this, and I do find it to be very responsive, but to be honest I don't rely upon it and rarely use it. Touch screen would mean getting my fingerprints (or rather smudges) on it and this is not desirable when you need the screen clean for video work. You can still navigate around the screen by using the buttons like on all previous Canon models. The processor inside the camera is also very fast and is capable of locating and playing back recorded high definition videos with no lag or delay whatsoever. Optimum ISO for video work is I think as high as 6400, but it might be possible to go beyond this but at the expense of picture qaulity. ISO for stills is significantly higher than this. What I do like about the screen though is that the screen can be angled and positioned so that you are effectively shooting at angles. For example if your subject is low, you can put the camera down on a bean bag and then tilt the screen so that you can focus in from a crouched posistion instead of lying flat on the ground (a real bonus if the ground happens to be wet!).

In conlcusion, while the 650D is technically an entry level camera, it is my opinion a game changer that in the right hands can match and in some repects such as video exceed many of the more expensive professional level models from both Canon and rival camera companies.

-Additional note about some early production batches-
The launch of the 650D was marred by the discovery of a faulty production batch where the rubber grips would turn white because of contamination by a build up of zinc oxide which can also be a skin irritant. To the best of my knowledge cameras of these batches are now off the market (replaced by Canon) and all new 650Ds do not have this problem. The dealer I bought my 650D from was able to confirm that it was not one of the earlier production batches with the problem, and you can always check this for yourself by entering your cameras serial number on the Canon website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera, 17 Jan 2013
Suzy Shipman "suzshi" (Mid Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera - Black (Inc. 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit) (Electronics)
I recently upgraded from a Canon EOS 400D to the 650D, and I love my new camera. I had previously been very much content with my 400D, but the 650D has many great features which make it a pleasure to use. Some of my favourite points:

- The LCD display is really sharp and clear - great for reviewing your shots - makes the display on the 400D look poor even though it's not really that bad

- You can use the LCD display to take shots which at first I thought was a bit pointless (what's wrong with the viewfinder?), but when trying to take macro shots of damp moss near to the ground it is extremely useful being able to use the LCD display, especially as it angles and tilts, so now I'm a convert!

- The fact that the LCD display is touch screen was something that again I thought was an unnecessary extra - however it is very useful to make quick changes to settings without turning dials and knobs

- The 18.0 megapixel sensor is excellent and is an obvious step up from my 400D's 10.1 sensor. If you need to crop a shot you can do without losing detail and the photos are top notch quality (well, as good as the photographer who takes them!)

- The ISO of up to 12800 is very useful in low light conditions, although of course if you go too far, you do risk grainy shots as with any camera

- The price is not unreasonable for a piece of kit of this quality

- It feels good in my hand - not too heavy but reassuringly solid

- The 50 cashback from Canon was a very nice little extra

All in all I think this is an excellent camera and I'm really happy with the shots I've got with it. The only downside is that it's so good I had to buy a new lens and spend more money! Shots taken with the combination of the 650D and my new Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens are definitely worth the money!

962 of 1,017 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Ok, so I know what you're looking for in a review..., 21 Aug 2012
You're thinking of getting the 650d, reading the reviews, comparing it to the 600d and countless others and pulling your hair out at all the pros and cons? Am I close. I'm a photographer and have used this, the 600d and its sony equivalent. I might be able to help. Let me start with an anecdote, (you've read enough technical jargon for now so consider this a breather)
I film the eagles on Mull and the landlady I stay with was telling me about this other photographer who visits her little cottage (it's beautiful by the way, you should visit if you get the chance). So anyway, she is cooking tea , as she does if you ask her nicely. While it's cooking he shows her one of his photos, probably of a sea eagle catching a fish. Everyone wants to photograph one of those even though its on every other postcard in Scotland. Next to a highland cow looking over a gate its the top photo/cliche to get.. Anyhoo, she looks at the photo and says "wow that's great...you must have a brilliant camera" .
So they sit down for supper a bit later and its delicious, she is a great cook. He says "This is lovely...you must have some great saucepans!" boom boom.
But herein lies the real point of this camera. You know its the person behind the camera that takes the pictures but do you really know it? This and the 600d take pictures so good (if you have the skill) you could blow it up the size of front door but are you going to want to. The thing no sellers want to tell you is that for years, maybe 5 , all of the big names have been making great dslr. Since the nikon d40 perhaps. But you really want to know, if you bought this, would you be happy or buying a pup. Be reassured that neither canon, nikon or sony make chocolate teapots. They know how to make a great camera and this is one. It's biggest difference as you will have read ad nauseum , is the touch screen. is it worth it. It is if you like touch screens (I do). That's not flippant, it's how it is.
So the photos will be great and its a great camera, you've read other reviews so I won't duplicate what you have already read but one thing you may not have read is about the video. All the makers have got dslr right. No pups in sight, but video is a relatively new feature and Sony have tbh been leading the way. This camera sets to rectify that by having autofocus. A lot of places on the net, say it's not needed, you should be using manual focus. Nonsense. Manual focus is ok at times but can be a pain. Filming your dog on the beach for example..The autofocus on the 650d is actually pretty good. Not as good as a camcorder but pretty good. The slowest part is for it to get going. But when it's locked on its sound. Well worth having. So thats sorted right..err no, not really. This is the 650d 's killer feature. Trouble is, they left out the killer feature on the 600d. The 3x zoom with "no loss in quality". So here is the choice if you are buying this for video.
if you want you're 300mm zoom to be able to zoom to 900mm for filming sport or wildlife. It's the 600d for you
If you love the idea of autofocus (or hate the idea of doing it the old fashioned way) its the 650d for you.
In my opinion if you're considering the other makes like Sony, it comes down to who makes the the lens you are likely to want. I know I have focused (blabbed on) about video but hey, there has been thousands of photo reviews already about iso , shutter speed etc etc. Nothing for me to add there!
So if you are considering using it for video here are a few "must have" things you will need to go with it.Hoya 58mm UV FilterReplacement Battery for Canon LP-E8 / suitable for Canon EOS 550D / EOS 600D / EOS 650D
Oh and the one that should have gone top of my listMake better videos with your dslr or camcorder
So now I have spent ten minutes typing away, telling you how I like the 650d for video (I do) do me a little favour and click that you find this helpful. Unless you don't. Either way you will enjoy this camera but do consider the little brother the 600d also. We live in good times to take photos as there are so many great cameras and this is definitely one of them. One more thing I forgot to mention (and yes it is regarding the video) is that to get great video you need to use the right settings in the menu.Unfortunately these are counter intuitive and if you don't use them you may be under whelmed. If anyone wants them, comment and I will try to post a link

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam's 2p worth - upgrading from EOS 500D, 12 Sep 2012
I bought this camera after thorough research as I wanted to upgrade from Canon EOS 500D. I am not saying that the 500D was a bad camera by any means. It is a fantastic dSLR for starters and has been a faithful companion for over 2 years.
However the 650D offers several significant improvements over the 500D. Most of it comes from the faster DIGIC 5 processor, low image noise and the overall performance of the 650D. Of course, we cannot ignore the touchscreen, which believe me, is quite handy for changing settings on the fly without hitting too many buttons. I am very happy with the results of the 650D and the overall package. I love the articulate touchscreen LCD, 5 fps capability, and the improvements in video recording such as continuous auto focus and stereo microphones.

Photography is my passion and hobby, but by no means my profession. As such I can't invest in a full frame sensor (my dream cam the EOS 1D-X). So any camera above the 650D (even the 7D) exceeded my budget. Although the 7D is also APS-C and not a full frame.

My kit now includes the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. These two lenses allow me to shoot in pretty much any type of situation (except astronomy, of course). I love my gear and could not have wanted more from a high end entry level dSLR such as the 650D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera but poor service from Canon, 20 Nov 2012
Mike King (Cornwall. UK) - See all my reviews
Really pleased with the 650D. Does every thing I wanted and more after upgrading from a 300D. Make sure your package includes a hard copy of the User Manual, it's 350 pages which makes it difficult to use with a downloaded PDF file.

I was tempted to buy when I did because of Canon's promotion of a 50 cashback offer. I downloaded and completed all the forms and duly sent them of to Canon. Days later my application was rejected because I "Did not purchase the camera through a recognised UK dealer". I live in the UK, bought it through Amazon,a UK company.
Just a tad peed off with Canon!

Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning camera, 16 Nov 2012
Mr. A. R. Templeton (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best upper entry level digital slr I have purchased to date, very fast operation and the touch screen is astonishing, to be honest since having this brilliant screen I do not think I would want another slr without one, it is that good, being a canon the picture quality is as usual stunning, I love this camera and everything about it, especially as I said earlier the touch screen, it came very well packaged and a super fast delivery from CAMERA OUTLETS,well done to all and I highly recommend the 650D, buy it you will not be disappointed, have a look at some of the pictures I have posted on the Amazon 650D advertising page, all in all a superp digital slr and a great service from all involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera, 15 Jan 2013
This is an amazing camera. I've been researching & looking for a digital SLR for 6 months so this was no quick rushed buy. This camera is so so easy to use. You can just switch on & click. The moveable back touchscreen is something else. Allows you to focus by touching the screen, very useful. Then, when you want to go off road and use some of the powerful functions they are all there are even the back screen guides you through how to use them.

This camera is all I thought It would be & so much more. Looking forward to exploring all its features over the coming months.

If your looking for a quality point and shoot that takes great pictures its for you.
If your looking for a semi professional camera that gives you a bag full up cutting edge technology and functionality it's for you.

What's not to like!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, if you take the time ti learn how to use it, 30 Nov 2012
after spending the past year using my phones camera to take photos after dropping my G15, I decided to take a step up and get a grown-up camera.

the Canon really does the job,, with numerous modes and the beginner focused Auto mode, I was taking great looking photos right out of the box. The 50 cashback from Canon, and the free photography course, was also a nice touch.

Will be upgrading to new lenses for Christmas, so hopefully the package will get better again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera, 22 Feb 2013
I bought this camera to replace my old Canon 350D and I am very pleased with it as it is 10 megapixal better than my old camera which was 8 megapixal and the sharpness of the photos has improved but this camera also takes video so you get two cameras for the price of one

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant camera, 19 Jan 2013
Having been fond of photography for quite a while but never got round to purchasing a digital SLR I can say this camera has made me wish I bought one years ago. The Canon 650d is brilliant and I cannot fault the product.

I am not fortunate enough to be able to compare this with many other makes and models having only used compact digi cams previously, but I hope this review gives a good enough impression of the camera.

Four reasons to buy this camera:

Build - I am sure many cameras at this level feel the same, but I feel the Canon 650d is a sturdy and robust product.
Picture Quality - Being an amature user, I am absolutely amazed by some of the pictures that I have taken.
Functionality - Easy to use and get to grips with. Touch screen makes for useful and easy navigation. All functions available that you would come to expect of such a camera.
Battery Life - I have yet to push this to the limits, but it seems like the battery goes on and on. I know one day it will catch me out and I'll go to take a picture and the battery will die on me.

ARRAY(0xb58696a8)