4.0 out of 5 stars Good "upgrade" over a kit lens, great day trip lens
I picked up one of these with a 70d body so will convey my thoughts on the lens. I've used the 18-135mm's from Sony and Pentax too and this stacks up quite well v other makers.

I'll fire off with my pros and cons list for quick reference

Pros:
Published 12 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful general purpose lense with limits
Good general purpose lense;just a little better than the usual kit lense.doesnt provide the sharpness of 17-55 but it is half the price of a top quality lense:perfectly good for average sized JPEG images
Published 12 months ago by david j clubb

4.0 out of 5 stars Good "upgrade" over a kit lens, great day trip lens, 2 Nov 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

I'll fire off with my pros and cons list for quick reference

Pros:
+ Decent build quality, plastics used are of good quality, metal mount with good tight fitting. Certainly very respectable for a lens in this price range
+ Handy 29-216mm equivalent focal range, though I wish it were a touch wider at times
+ Optics are sharp in the central area of the frame across the focal range
+ AF is smooth with video shots, ie focus adjustments are not jittery at all, one of the main selling points of STM lenses
+ AF motor is "silent" and will not be hard during video recording, AF is fast too
+ Zoom lock at the 18mm position though there are no signs of zoom creep so far
+ Filter ring does not rotate on focus
+ IS works well and is also silent, I'd say 3 stops possibly a bit more.

Cons:

- Fairly hefty distortion at the 18mm end, quite common for a lens of this type, some pincushion at the tele end (though fairly minor)
- CA is visible at the 18mm end esp at the edges, but this improves stopping the lens down
- Tele end there is some drop off in the extreme edges and corners (from around 85mm and up) this again is quite common, and they do pick up a bit stopping down (though they don't clear up entirely)
- Vignetting wide open, most obvious at the 18mm mark but present across the range. Not a show stopper, clears up stopping down a bit
- Whilst the STM is great for video AF, it's not ideal for manual focus. The focus ring drives the motor to focus the lens (ie focus by wire) A mechanical manual focus is better, not a deal breaker but something to look out for.
- No hood supplied

Just a note about the fall off and distortion/CA. All par for the course with lenses like this but with corrections on in jpeg you won't notice problems. In raw they will show up but usually don't cause problems with a few quick adjustments. The barrel distortion is strong at 18mm, but it is on the other lenses from other makers and day to day shooting it's not really a problem for most shots.

I was quite impressed with the sharpness from the lens, which is very good across the range and in the middle of the image. The corners are a bit softer tele end, stopping down does help here for longer distance shots (ie landscapes) I think it's acceptable considering the good range the lens covers. Certainly a much better performer than the Pentax 18-135mm I tried, the Sony is also good and runs the Canon close in many ways, non silent AF though but it's a bit better with CA and a bit more contrast v the Canon. So very respectable performance from the Canon lens.

The quality of the "bokeh" or blur isn't bad in my view, lenses in this focal range are not ideal for super creamy backgrounds, but the 18-135mm is decent enough at the tele end for this (you won't have any problems knocking the background out of focus at 135mm) There are obviously better lenses out there for this.

For reference the lens speed at various focal lengths are approx as follows:
18mm f3.5
24mm f4
35mm f4.5
50mm f5
And f5.6 above that for the rest of the range

This isn't a fast lens so it won't replace your 50mm prime (which you will still want for low light shooting)
But for video it's quite impressive (smooth to track focus and won't be audible in video recordings even using the on-board microphone)
And for a take one lens trip out this covers a good focal range and will be a lens you will use frequently. Not that the 18-55mm is a bad lens it's one of the better kit lenses out there, it's hard to go back to an 18-55mm after using this for a while though. And I think the compromises on this 18-135mm are a lot less than the bigger range super-zooms such as 18-250/270mm, which have some fairly weak focal ranges optics wise.

Good lens to get in a bundle with a body, well worth looking at for video users too.
As with all lenses check for de-centering or other issues (AF too) when you buy one. No obvious issues on my copy though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A star performer, 13 May 2011
James Worley (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens as part of the EOS 550D kit, which I purchased from Amazon. My son was about to get married and I had agreed to be the "stealth" photographer, so a new camera was required. I read lots of reviews and decided that this kit would suit my purposes well, the zoom lens giving me the ability to capture people doing what people do at weddings without being in their faces all the time.

Well, on the day the camera and lens proved to be the perfect combination. I snapped away all day and throughout the evening taking 530 photographs all in all, and added some nice HD video to the tally too. The results can only be described as stunning. The clarity, sharpness and depth of field are really excellent, beating my old film SLR (Minolta Dynax 7xi) absolutely hands down. From near or from afar, in various lighting conditions, indoors, outdoors, with and without flash this lens produced great results.

If you buy this lens you will definitely not be disappointed. Some of my pictures from the wedding would make a pro photographer weep they are that good! Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect budget zoom lens!!, 28 July 2010
Mr. P. Garland "Beamish" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens at the beginning of July at the then price of £[] and I have to say I'd still buy it at this price. Why? because its a fantastic lens for the money! I looked into the absence of the USM (Ultra Sonic Motor)using a popular review site where the difference in noise is demonstrated on video. My verdict? USM isn't worth breaking your neck to buy, because this lens makes next to no noise and loses no measurable speed in focussing. I bought this as a back up to my existing 18-85mm USM lens when it started to vignette off-centre (something I can't afford to happen on a wedding) In fairness, that lens has had 4 years of almost daily use and is ready foir collection from the repairer. Despite the better build quality, USM and Macro facilities of that lens, to be honest I'm probably more likely to use the new 18-135 as my staple lens and the other as a spare, that's now impressed I am with it. Definitely a great buy and the results are stunning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EFS-18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, 6 July 2011
Mr. Vinod Mehta "VM" (London) - See all my reviews
This is a great lens for my Canon EOS1000D body. The 18mm setting gives all the wide angle coverage I need - e.g. group photos,landscapes, buildings, etc and the 135mm setting (7.5 zoom)gets me the close ups frames I need and also allows me to be a discreet photographer at family functions. The lens is sturdy and the autofocus is fast. The image stabiler makes sure that there are no blurred images even without a tripod. For my purpose it covers 99% of my photography needs in a single lens - no need to keep changing lenses - very convenient. The images look superb and of professional quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sharpness, 23 Jun 2011
I bought this Canon EF-S 3,5/5,6 18-135 mm lens to replace the original kit-lens (18-55 mm). This new lens is very sharp, in any focal lenght and distances, giving perfect excellent sharpness on the all picture, out to the corners, even if the picture size is blown up to the size of over A/3, or over 50x70 cm.
I use this lens most with the possible largest apertures (3,5-5,6), because for good sharpness it does not necessary to take smaller aperture settings, and also, for getting higher shutter speeds, which is relevant to minimaze the unsharpness coused by camera movements.
Colours and fine lines are very clear, out to the corners, without any disturbing brown-lila shadows at the side of the dark parts in high contrast details on the side or corners of the picture.
The wanted unsharpness, as example desired in portraits, is excellent, especially at focal lengths over 80 mm settings, even with apertures set to 8,0, depending also on the circular aperture ring - and this is resulting even fine soft unsharp bright or dark details in other pictures with higher contrast.
The building quality is good, even if this lens can not be compared with the Canon "L"-series, but good enough for common, carefully use of the camera and lens.
Summarized: this is the best lens what I proved or used in this class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon 18-135mm IS Review, 5 Oct 2011
H. Ramtale "The Singularity" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you do not want to keep changing lens all the time and want a solution to almost all type of basic photography then this is your choice.

If you are looking for a lens that you want to have constantly on your camera and do not bother that much about excellent image quality or sharpness then this lens is for you. Do not get me wrong the image quality is good but only good.

If you are willing to get somewhat sharper images then the trade off is having the 18-55 + 55-250. For even sharper images be prepared to dig deep.

I would nevertheless advise beginners in photography to choose this one as you will be able to explore and concentrate on how to work the camera more without the trouble of changing lenses which might discourage going for a picture thus having less hands on practice than with this lens. A picture is a picture no matter what and this is a Canon lens.

BEGINNERS= GO FOR IT!!

AMATEURS = THINK TWICE.

SEMI PROS = MAYBE BACKUP LENS??

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Very impressed, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens (Accessory)
I'm fairly new to DSLR photography. I bought a Canon 600d a few months back. It had a kit lens 18-55mm. And I bought a 50mm prime to go with it (which I LOVE). But I wanted to get in closer! And ideally I wanted a travel lens that I didn't have to keep changing. I've tried the Tamron vc 18-270mm pzd lens. The images weren't that sharp, however, I sent it back because the vc was SO noisy, it shook the viewfinder ALOT when it kicked in and I didn't think it worked that well either (When compared images with VC on/VC off). It also struggled to focus in low light. Then, having read more online reviews, I decided to buy the Sigma 18-250 DC OS HSM lens. I was excited. The lens looks like a quality lens and had a lovely matt finish. However, again, the OS didn't really make much difference. It was noisy - but not as noisy as the Tamron. And images - that's ALL my images - weren't sharp. Perhaps the lens was faulty but I was disappointed. Are all long range lenses this bad I wondered. So I sent it back. Maybe they work better on large sensor DSLRs? After more deliberation I decided that I possibly wouldn't need the range at the far end - and ordered this lens (135mm still goes very close!). And WOW! What a difference. I can't hear the IS at all. I know it's working as it grips the image really well -FAR better than the other two lenses. And sharpness - is just brilliant. Not as sharp as my prime -which I expected to be honest. But pretty damn good. And it focuses well in low light. This lens is definitely staying. Very happy. If you're considering an all-in-one travel lens - this is the one to go for (if you can cope with the lack of range). The only cons: it is a little heavier than the others. And it doesn't come with a hood. But it's advantages and quality far outweigh these small things in my opinion. I'll stick with Canon from now on! And with their current cashback offer you just can't go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super quiet, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens (Accessory)
Not as fast as USM but not far behind. Absolutely quiet as a mouse. Optics are very good. I only used it in still photography mode on a recent road trip in the States and it didn't let me down. Excellent purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF-S 18 - 135 f/3.5 - 5.6 IS lens, 21 Aug 2011
J. Walton (England) - See all my reviews
Very happy with this purchase. Have used it a couple of times and found it far superior to the lens that came with my camera. It gives the option of wide angle and also a much greater telephoto option without having to change the lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 18-135 on 550D, 3 May 2011
K. Roberts (UK) - See all my reviews
I concur with a previous comment under Canon 18-135 lens. I also had both the Tamron 18-270 and the Canon 18-135 on a 550D. The Canon beat the Tamron easy.It was a lighter more crisp picture right the way through the range, and the Tamron wasnt as good in poor light. So unless you want the length go for the Canon 18-135. Not sure about Nikon lenses.
Also my lens had no pink fringing and has taken excellent shots throughout. If you not getting the same results send it back for a replacement.

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens