5.0 out of 5 stars great for a young child up to at least end of KS1 - year 2.
Published 19 months ago by Debbie

1.0 out of 5 stars be warned about the battery life
Published 16 months ago by p

5.0 out of 5 stars great for a young child up to at least end of KS1 - year 2., 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The leappad 2 is very similar to the first Leappad released at the end of last year, but with a few added extras. The leappad 2 looks the same initially, but with an added camera for front pictures (similar to the new gen Ipod). You HAVE to have a laptop/computer as you need to download the leappad connect application and create an online account) and this is what is needed to move games/programs onto the leappad and also to remove the pictures videos taken to print later.
The first programs are similar with one connected to the computer loads petpad, my stuff, my books, camera, art studio and video. Added extra to leappad 2 is the creativity program and a game/and or video game (must be picked when first connected to the computer.
I had already connected a first leappad to my computer and was alittle worried whether the downloaded games would transfer, but I need not have worried as games that are downloaded are available to upto 3 leappads connected (at separate times) and games can be loaded onto all three at the same time.

The differences in memory are that Leappad 1 1704mb and Leappad 2 3118 mb. One point that I have found irritating is that the Charger for leappad one does not work in Leappad 2. Also the Battery compartment of the Leap pad 2 does not need a coin to open and batteries are easier to install than in the older one. The Leappad 2 is also a music player
Not sure yet what happens when you revert them back to factory settings, but can not see this being a problem.
My daughter is 3 and finds this unit really easy to use. It is robust and user friendly, one tiny niggle would be that it is really easy to add additonal users and change the ability level on the appliance itself and this is not always acceptable. My daughter managed to change hers from preschool to year 2 level. This is easily rectified, but should not be accessible to the child.
All in all Leappad 1 or 2, a few added extras, but either would be great for a young child up to at least end of KS1 - year 2.

A great present and much loved toy.

1.0 out of 5 stars be warned about the battery life, 28 Dec 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
bought this for my daughter its a good toy but i feel like i,ve been toatally mislead, it requires for aa batteries that dont even last a day, the charger you can buy is not a charger at this stage its just a power lead to use the leapad from the mains, it now turns out to use the toy like it has been sold, i.e a portable tablet, you now need to buy the recharger battery packs that fit into were the batterys go, then the mains adapter becomes a charger for the leapad, so after buying this leapad we now have spend another 30+ to use the thing as a portable tablet,

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Educational but a Bit Pricey, 29 Sep 2012
Matt (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll start off by saying that I have no experience of a child playing with this toy. My daughter is currently far too young for it (although if Amazon wanted it stress testing then she'd be ideal!) so this review is based on my own tinkerings.

The first thing I notice (apart from how bloody hard it is to get out of the packaging) is that is doesn't feel like a very good quality unit. Specifically, the battery compartments (yes plural, there are two on the back on each side, each one taking two AA batteries). They are quite awkward to open and close again and unless you get it just right they are quite hard to shut properly.

I am also a bit sceptical about the stylus (which can only be fixed to the right hand side of the unit, annoying as I'm left handed although it does just about reach). I can't feel any sharp points on it but sometimes when I'm using it, it feels as though it's scratching across the screen instead of gliding smoothly. I'm sure there are screen protectors available and with this being a toy for young children I would definitely recommend getting some.

Now, on to the fun stuff! The pad comes pre-loaded with several apps and you have the choice of one to download for free when you set it up. There is PetPad which is like a more advanced Tamagotchi; feed, bathe, play and learn (tracking alphabet letters) with a pet that you can customize (mine is an orange dragon but you can have all sorts. A pig, rabbit, sheep, cat etc.)

Art Studio is basically like Paint in Windows. You can use a pencil, paint brush (both of which you can change sizes), patten brush, stamp, fill tool, eraser etc. My only gripe here is that you can only undo three times, although I don't think young children will care too much about that.

Creativity is an app in which you can create cartoons. You choose a setting, the number of scenes, the characters, their movement, dialogue (you can even record your own), props etc. It's a very thorough process and even creating one scene could take a very long time. The minimum number of scenes is three and the maximum five. If your child enjoys this app, it will keep them quiet for a very long time. It does seem quite advanced though and as I said, my daughter is far too young for this so I can't really speculate on what age group this app would be best aimed at. I would hazard a guess at anywhere from 5-10 years old.

On top of all of this there is also the music player (with some educational songs pre-loaded) and then camera function, the pad having cameras on both the front and back and the ability to take both photos and videos. Photos can be manipulated in the photo studio (elongating noses, changing colours, that sort of thing) and saved onto the internal memory. The video camera isn't very good quality but considering the price of the unit and the range of other things it can do, it's not bad for the price.

My main issue about this pad (apart from those mentioned at the start of the review) is the additional costs you don't know about when you buy it. Firstly, as stated in other reviews, the pad is extremely power hungry. Taking four AA batteries, unless you are using rechargables (which will run down faster than disposables) you're going to spend a small fortune. Alternatively, you can buy the LeapFrog LeapPad Recharger Pack but it's pretty expensive when you've already had to fork out for the pad. There is a socket for a 9v mains adapter but you don't get one with the pad. If you have a generic one it will probably work but for the tiny amount they cost to produce, how hard would it have been to include one. Just another ploy to sell you the recharger pack, methinks!

Then there are the app downloads and cartridges. On the App Center [sic] there are various games, eBooks and learning tools and while there are some cheaper ones (3.50 being the lowest price) some of them are as high as 20 each, such as the Cars 2 game and Tinkerbell game. In fact, there seems to be a lot of Disney stuff and as with all of their products, none of it is cheap. Actually, as I write this review, the LeapFrog Leapster/LeapPad Explorer Cars 2 Game cartridge for the tablet is 14.14 so you would save money and memory space.

Two other minor points that bug me slightly is the absence of a battery meter on the screen and there is no settings menu so you can't turn off the tips or background music on menus.

Overall I think it is a very good unit and it has the capability to entertain a child for many years, the level of education being adjustable in the user profile. I'll be putting mine away for a couple more years yet, until my daughter realises it is a toy, not a chew toy, but when it finally comes back out I'm sure she'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LeapPad2 is a fantastic product, 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
I don't usually write reviews but I felt I had to about the LeapPad2 because I am so impressed. I haven't given it to my 4 year old daughter yet, just got it all set up ready for Christmas Day but I know that she will absolutely love it. It looks and feels like a proper tablet but also child appropriate - sturdy. I bought the MP3 player (3.50 one off cost) and downloaded her favourite songs onto it ready for her. I bought the download centre card for 8 (app value is 15) and with it bought the Cinderalla ultra ebook, which I've had a go at and I really think will get her interested in reading. The quality of sound and images is very good. The photos and videos that it takes aren't fantastic quality but they're good enough for children. I really like the fact that you can take photos of yourself - I can see that getting a lot of use. I found two free apps by searching for codes on google. The free colouring/drawing app which comes with it I know will be a big hit because my daughter loves doing that on her Grandma's iPad. I bought the pad (65), download card (8), gel skin (2) and will buy the recharger pack (25) when I can find it in stock somewhere plus a bag (15) big enough to include the charger as well. So it isn't cheap but having myself spent a fair bit of time on it this evening and barely scratched the surface of what it can do, I am seriously impressed and very happy we decided to give her only one Christmas present this year - this.

1.0 out of 5 stars LeapFrog leap pad, 17 Oct 2013
Mrs. J. A. Sully (Cornwall England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
This item was described as very good condition, unfortunately it didn't work at all, this was very disappointing as I had posted it on for my Great granddaughter as a birthday gift, I have now had to replace it with a new one which is no mean achievement for me as a pensioner but I couldn't disappoint my granddaughter, I feel I have been cheated.

4.0 out of 5 stars My two love this, 16 Oct 2013
Y. Curran (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
My little girl loves this as she has a few games to play, some games though can take a while to catch on to. My 2yr old son is always trying to get it also if he is allowed and is able to manage some of the games with a little help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leap Frog Pad2, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
My grandaughter loves it; shame more games were not available with it. Only being able to download to the computer that registered the purchase is a pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leappad 2, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
The item arrived on time. The kids have had them a while now, we got them for a really good price here at amazon, they still are not cheap. The downloads and cartridges are not cheap either. It's a good way for the kids to play and not know that they are learning at the same time. The leappad website is a little hard to navigate but you can download from the leappad your child's learning path giving you a snapshot of their strengths and weaknesses, you can then help them to improve where necessary. Overall a good learning tool among other tools. I would recommend you get rechargeable battery's, plug in power cable for home use and in car power cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great childrens tab with child friendly games., 26 July 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
Yes you have to buy the games separtely if you want lots of choice, but there are some that you can download for free when you first connect it. My 4 year old daughter adores her leap pad, she loves the alpahet video with Leap and also the games that come with it, We have bought a couple of extras, like the tangled game, and some of the downloadables but when you see how long they play on them I do think they are worth it. Just look at what your child likes and tailor accordingly. There are levels which you can change in order to challenge them with harder words etc, but to be honest using the leapfrog connection software is a nightmare. It is sooooo slow, I usually give up. The leappad I think is the best explorer/gamer concept that leap pad has come up with yet. My son has the leapster which he at the time spent over 300 hours on in the couple of years he played on it. He now tries to borrow his little sisters leap pad whenever he can. and he doesn't mind if they are girlie games.

5.0 out of 5 stars like it, 24 July 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink) (Toy)
I bought it for my 6 years old daughter. She really like it. She is going everywhere with it and hate sharing it with her sister....

ARRAY(0xb3d0ef3c)

LeapFrog LeapPad2 Learning Tablet (Pink)
64.47