Five Classic Albums [Audio CD] Everly Bros
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£9.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Amazing quality,(digitally remastered) and outstanding value, in this massive box set compilation of original Everly Brothers recordings. 4 discs containing 5 albums plus bonus singles and radio show tracks (grand total of 94 tracks). Disc one 24 tracks, disc two 24, disc three 28, and disc 4 (broadcasts and rarities) 18 tracks. All of the classic hits are included, plus many less well known tracks, and rare live performances.
The 5 albums included are THE EVERLY BROTHERS 1958, SONGS OUR DADDY TAUGHT US 1958, IT`S EVERLY TIME 1960, A DATE WITH THE EVERLY BROTHERS 1961, BOTH SIDES OF THE EVENING 1961. SINGLES/EP TRACKS ARE FROM 1955,58,59,60,61. RADIO BROADCASTS ARE COUNTRY HOEDOWN, WSM LEATHERNECK JAMBOREE, AND THE EVERLY FAMILY SHOW.
There is no information apart from the 4 cd listings on the back of the box set. However overall, and compared with other more expensive Everly compilations, this set is a great buy for old or new fans of Don and Phil. Their vocal performances, as always, are complete perfection through the whole range of emotions from tender love songs to their Rock`n Roll classics. Also, credit should be given to the impeccable guitar playing by the Everlys, and the consistently excellent backing from first class musicians. There is nothing to compare with their soaring harmonies, and the memories from this era come flooding back from the guitar intros to every song. Regardless of any relationship problems "off stage" at times, they are "in perfect harmony" in these great recordings !
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a large four CD set featuring their 5 albums: The Everly Brothers (1958), Songs Our Daddy Taught Us (1958), It's Everly Time (1960), A Date With The Everly Brothers (1961), Both Sides Of The Evening (1961) plus their singles and radio show recordings. It has been digitally remastered to a high standard, and generally the sound is pretty good for the age, with the studio tracks being similar quality to my 'Walk right back' CD from their reunion concerts in the 1980s. As a youngster I got into the Everly Brother's music from Simon & Garfunkle's cover of 'Bye Bye Love', and even today the Everly Brother's 'Cathy's Clown', 'Till I Kissed You' and 'Wake up Little Suzie' charmingly recapture the pitfalls of teenage love.

Having performed on their dads radio show at the age of of 8 and 6, billed as little Donny and baby boy Phil, they soon became young pop superstars and were still only in their mid twenties in 1962. And until recently, both they and their sons were still around in the music scene. The brothers toured extensively with Buddy Holly during 1957 and 1958, and even influenced The Crickets dress sense. Phil was one of Buddy Holly's pallbearers at his funeral in February 1959, although Don was too upset to attend. For most of their recordings, Don sings the baritone part and Phil the tenor part.

The duo's harmony singing had a strong influence on rock groups of the 1960s, with The Beatles, The Beach Boys and Simon & Garfunkel developing their early singing styles by performing Everly covers. Always popular in the UK, it could be said that their music, combined with Lonnie Donagon and the Buddy Holly sound, led to The Beatles and British domination of pop music in the 1960 and 1970s. Classics 'Bye Bye Love' and 'Wake up little Suzie' became their first two million sellers, with 'Cathy's Clown' selling more than 8 million copies. By 1962, the Everly Brothers had earned $35 million dollars from record sales, and they are the most successful Rock & Roll duo in US chart history, and still hold the record for the most Top 100 singles by any duo. Their popularity waned in the late 1960s, despite their well received 1968 country/rock album 'Roots'. They broke up in 1973, but then reformed in 1983 for a few tours, and sang vocals with Paul Simon on the title track to Simon's album Graceland. In 1986, they were one of the first to be elected into the 'Rock and Roll Hall of Fame' Museum at Cleveland, Ohio.

The tracks on this CD set are:

Disc 1: Tracks 1-12 'The Everly Brothers' 1958, 13-24 'Songs our Daddy Taught us' 1958,
1. This Little Girl Of Mine, 2. Maybe Tomorrow, 3. Bye Bye Love, 4. Brand New Heartache, 5. Keep A Knockin', 6. Be Bop A Lula, 7. Rip It Up, 8. I Wonder If I Care As Much, 9.Wake Up Little Susie, 10. Leave My Women Alone, 11. Should We Tell Him, 12. Hey Doll Baby, 13. Roving Gambler, 14. Down In The Willow Garden, 15. Long Time Gone, 16. Lightning Express, 17. That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine, 18. Who's Gonna Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet, 19. Barbara Allen, 20. Oh So Many Years, 21. I'm Here To Get My Baby Out Of Jail, 22. Rockin' Alone (In An Old Rockin' Chair), 23. Kentucky, 24. Put My Little Shoes Away.

Disc 2: Tracks 1-12 'It's Everly Time' 1960, 13-24 'A Date with the Everly Brothers' 1961
1. So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad), 2. Just In Case, 3. Memories Are Made Of This, 4. That's What You Do To Me, 5. Sleepless Nights, 6. What Kind Of Girl Are You, 7. Oh True Love, 8. Carol Jane, 9. Some Sweet Day, 10. Nashville Blues, 11. You Thrill Me (Through And Through), 12. I Want You To Know, 13. Made To Love, 14. That's Just Too Much, 15. Stick With Me Baby, 16. Baby What You Want Me To Do, 17. Sigh Cry Almost Die, 18. Always It's You, 19. Love Hurts, 20. Lucille, 21. So How Come (No One Loves Me), 22. Donna Donna, 23. A Change Of Heart, 24. Cathy's Clown.

Disc 3: Tracks 1-14 'Both Sides of the Evening' 1961, 15-16 Singles 1955, 17-25 Singles 1958, 26-28 Singles 1959
1. My Mammy, 2. Muskrat, 3. My Gal Sal, 4. Grandfathers Clock, 5. Bully Of The Town, 6. Chloe, 7. Mention My Name In Sheboygan, 8. Hi-Lili Hi-Lo, 9. The Wayward Wind, 10. Don't Blame Me, 11. Now Is The Hour (Maori Farewell Song), 12. Little Old Lady, 13. When I Grow Too Old To Dream, 14. Love Is Where You Find It, 15. Keep A Lovin' Me, 16. The Sun Keeps Shinning, 17. All I Have To Do Is Dream, 18. Claudette, 19. Devoted To You, 20. Bird Dog, 21. Problems, 22. Love Of My Life, 23. Take A Message To Mary, 24. Poor Jenny (One 0' Clock Version), 25. Poor Jenny (Ten 0' Clock Version), 26. Till I Kissed You, 27. Oh What A Feeling, 28. Let It Be Me.

Disc 4: Singles 1 1959, 2-3 1960, 4-11 1961, 12-14 Country Hoe Down Radio Broadcast (with intro by Jim Reeves), 15-16 MSM Leatherneck Jamboree, 17-18 The Everly's Family Show
1. Since You Broke My Heart, 2. Like Strangers, 3. When Will I Be Loved, 4. Stick With Me Baby, 5. Walk Right Back, 6. Temptation, 7. Ebony Eyes, 8. Muskrat (Alternate Version), 9. Crying In The Rain, 10. I'm Not Angry, 11. Souvenir Sampler, 12. Bye Bye Love, 13. Maybe Tomorrow, 14. Wake Up Little Susie, 15. I Wonder If I Care As Much, 16. Bye Bye Love, 17. Don't Let Our Love Die / Blue Smoke, 18. Steelin' The Blues.

Like other CD Sets in this series, the CD labels are printed to look like 1950s vinyl LP records. There's over 90 tracks in all, and total run time is around 3 hours of 1950/60s pop perfection.
"Whenever I want you, all I have to do is dre-e-e-e-am, dream, dream, dream, dream, dre-e-e-e-am. Only trouble is .. gee whizz, I'm dreaming my life away"
review image review image
on 10 October 2012
The attraction for the keen Everly Brothers fan is the presence of their 1955 Columbia recordings, 'Keep A Lovin' Me' & The Sun Keeps Shining' on a budget price CD.
It's amazing to hear the progression of their sound from these recordings to the next track in the CD, the magnificent 'All I have to do is dream'.
There are also a couple of country & western live shows, plus some recordings from the Everly Family Show.
This collection contains all their Cadence recordings, plus their 1960 & 1961 recordings for Warner Brothers.

What comes over is how the dispute with their manager, Wesley Rose, managed to derail their career. From recording two of their finest albums,'It's Every Time' & 'A Date with the Everly Brothers', they went on to record one of their worst, 'Both Sides of an Evening'. Great voices, superb production but an awful selection of songs. Unfortunately they went on to record 2 other poor albums, the even worse 'Instant Party' & the dull but worthy 'Christmas with the Everly Brothers'. This at a time when music was about to return to its rock & roll roots in 1963 with the Beatles, who were themselves greatly influenced by the sound of the Everlys.

Listening to the superb mid-60s albums, Rock'n Soul' & 'Beat'n Soul', many of these tracks would have been known to the Everlys in 1961. It's such a shame that they didn't record a version of these tracks then. They would have been relevant to the changing times. Sad to say, the Brothers had lost their way musically, what with their managerial disputes, their service in the Marines & drug problems. Their mid 60s resurgence with a series of wonderful albums came too late to recapture the US market, despite their continuing popularity overseas.

This set of CDs is a must for anyone who has ever liked the Everly Brothers, rock & roll, perfect harmony singing or just plain excellent music.
Play it in the car & sing along. It'll lift your hearts.
on 10 July 2013
I remember listening to some of the Everly brothers early recordings in my teens, long time ago, so I purchased this box set of five classic albums in anticipation
well I can tell you I was delighted with these recordings, let me just say this to you
the quality of just two young men singing their songs and without electronic aids gives so much pleasure and if you are the one person who hasn`t yet heard the Elvery bros buy this box set, best introduction to their music you you will ever find
on 3 January 2014
I bought these CDs for my DAd for Christmas - I wasn't sure what his favorite Everly Brothers album was, so it was great to be able to buy the box set - great value for money. He seems very happy with it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
CD 1: known and unknown songs (at least to me).
CD 2: great songs, many in stereo
CD 3: by far, the best CD of this box set. Love the two versions of Poor Jenny. Made a copy of this CD to play in my car.
CD 4: very nice to hear different versions (radio plays) - and a big surprise to hear Jim Reeves announcing Bye bye love
on 2 March 2013
Box sets of classic recordings seems to be given away right now. Who can resist this? I also just ordered a 6 album Ricky Nelson and 7 album Brenda Lee box at the same ridiculously low price. And they are all supposedly digitally remastered, amazing!
on 25 May 2014
This is an excellent purchase and has all the old favourites and some new one's too that have quickly become favourites also.

Excellent value. Quality is excellent and at a very good price.
on 2 October 2013
Wow what great value and great voices Anyone can hear listening to these classic and some rare early tracks how influencial these guys were in the 50s Highly recommended
on 13 March 2014
I bought this cd because I may not have some of the songs on it ,if you like the Everly's go on treat yourself, you won't be dissapointed.
Sadly we will not hear the likes of this harmonising ever again .
Ray