on 21 July 2012
Excellent product well worth the money. Very simply to use - you start it, insert *any* standard card full of photos, push the button and it starts backing up all the pictures in a newly created folder on the built-in disk. The transfer is not exactly fast, but you can leave it safely in your photographic bag or pocket, insert another card in your camera and go on shooting in the meantime. Definitely, much more convenient than having to carry your laptop around and mess with it when you run out of empty cards during a shooting!

It can also optionally delete all data from your card, copy data between two different types of cards and, when connected to your PC, it can also be used as a card drive (it shows up as three "drives" in Explorer; one hard disk with backed up photographs and two card drives).

It is simple to replace the built-in, pre-formatted disk, you even get a mini screwdriver for the purpose in the box(!). Before you decide to do that, make certain that (1) the replacement disk is not of a higher capacity than what advertised on the front cover sticker of your unit and (2) that the disk is formatted as FAT32 (not a simply task in Windows with disks larger than 32 GB, you will need a special utility and do not even dream of using the Partition Magic for the purpose unless you want to mess things up!). A higher capacity disk or a NTFS-formatted one will not be recognized by the unit and you'll get the ERROR icon flashing up.

One thing that is not explained in the manual is, how to replace the built-in battery (in rare cases when you need to). The good news is you do NOT need to open the unit for that as in the case of replacing the disk, the front part with the sticker on it is actually the cover of the battery compartment, but it is not obvious and you need some careful effort in order to make it slide down a bit before it can be removed, I managed to do it by inserting the tip of a small flat screwdriver (not the one shipped with the product)in the tight space between the cover and the horizontal line under the two buttons.

The first unit we received was actually malfunctioning (a factory, motherboard malfunction - it refused to recognize any disk). We informed Ex-Pro people about it, and they sent us a new (disk-less, of course) unit *immediately* via DHL, without any complications or us even having to return the broken one.

Unfortunately, the second one was received smashed (obviously during the transport by DHL). We informed both Ex-Pro and the local DHL people, sent them photographs of the smashed unit, one of the DHL people showed up the same afternoon, filled the forms - and *the next day* we finally received the second (ok and functioning) replacement unit, that being quite fast, considering that we are located in *Slovenia*.

The Ex-Pro Customer Service was of great help in the process, prompt answering the mails and not complicating with formalities. True, due to the both incidents (Ex-Pro or Amazon being hardly the ones to blame for them, it was simply bad luck!), we had to wait for the functioning unit a couple of days more, send a few mails an make a couple of calls to the local DHL, but we ended up with the functioning unit and two spare batteries from the two broken ones.

I'm not surprised, we had been purchasing various equipment from Ex-Pro in the past and were always amazed at their professionality, especially when it comes to their Amazon customers!
33 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2012
Pros:
-Great technical customer service (although unable to solve my problems),
-Very quick response,
-Well packaged and timely delivery,
-Quick refund (minus 25% "restocking fee"),

Cons:
-This device can only be formatted to FAT32 (this is old windows formatting - not current windows formatting).
-I had many problems when using this device with 3 laptop and 2 PCs running Windows 7 or Vista, the errors that occur were: "device not recognised" and "reformat device".
-Device connected to laptop/PC roughly 1 in 30 times.
-The formatting software was not provided in the box as stated in the documentation, the URL to the software (stated in the documentation) does not work.
-The formatting software is not compatible with Windows 7 x64 (when I downloaded from another website - not the recommended one).
-This device is designed for use with Windows 98, ME, 2000.
-The device was returned, and a refund was given with a 25% "restocking fee" (£40) as it was out of the 7 day returns period.

Great device... when it works.
on 9 October 2012
You Must be prepared for 3 drivers to be installed- One Removable Drive with the curious Volume Name NEXTODI & 2 Removable Disks for using device as a card reader.

Unit doesn`t have a button lock & charger doesn`t auto switch-off or change colour when charged. However if you download the formatting tool instructions are included that tell you how to upgrade to larger 2.5 Sata drive- it`s these instructions that are grossly confusing and do unit no justice at all.

Upon having a play with an old camera card (SDHC ) It takes it`s time before springing into action unit has to be turned on prior to card insertion by the way.

On viewing results on PC NEXTODI Drive which previously had said "unknown File System " has now been written to in FAT32!

Inside are 2 new folders: Files & Nextops. In the folder marked files find DCIM and there are your copied files!

The other file is empty and best ignored, the instuctions say each time a new partion is created but this seems to me in reality (as you can make a backup of a backup ) that this is a new file/folder.

When you`re happy you can then delete card either on the unit or by inserting card will show up in one of the removable disc folders and the PC can do the deed.

When the current price of hard drives are taken into account, this is a good value product but could definately do with better & clearer instructions.

This test was done at home - not in the field on a 250GB model bought through Amazon
on 11 March 2013
Bought this direct from EX Pro, first outing second insertion of CF card then the pins got bent. EX Pro claim it is my fault, having inserted cards in numerous other readers plus camera , then I have never had a problem. Believe that the slot itself is of low quality or damaged, partly backed up by suppliers comment that instructions ( addendum) carry a warning about damaging the pins . Battery life is also very poor. Now left with a semi useless piece of kit. If wanting to use CF cards then would not recommend this unit.
on 4 June 2013
It lives up to its description. Ideal for travelling so ca n leave the laptop at home. One criticism is that to copy a 16GB card uses most of the battery power
on 2 September 2013
I bought it for my sister who is proffessional.
She haven't complaine so far so I think its a good product.
on 29 March 2014
Given that there is no other product on the market and it is possible to make this do what you want I've given it two stars instead of one. However, it is the tackiest, most home-made-looking piece of kit I've ever bought, and certainly not worth the purchase price unless you're desperate. The instructions are barely adequate and it's lucky that the unit has so few functions because it means you can work out what to do without them.

Mine has a problem with the battery so that it won't stay charged, and because you can't turn it on with mains power alone, I am returning it as unfit for purpose. I had to charge it for hours each time I wanted to copy a card. I will edit the review based on the outcome.
on 8 June 2013
I was running short of time I had a wedding shoot and my back up packed up on me and the opportunity to acquire a storage image tank came and bought the ex-pro. At first like everything I was a bit reluctant and scared remember I was going to use it on a wedding shoot. Once at the wedding my drives as they became full I downloaded them to the ex-pro definitely like a PRO but scared as it was ever so simple. Once back at home I connected it to my iMac and vuala all the drives shown and the transfer of the photographs without a problem. A photographers tool very handy to have excellent piece of kit
on 3 September 2013
Reasonably priced and good capacity for backing up photos from digital cameras on trips, essential to have backups in case card fails, instructions not very comprehensive or paticularily comprehensible
on 14 May 2014
I recently had a camera stolen together with 2 photo SD cards. All my holiday pictures were on them, so they were lost. I looked for something that I could back up each evening and found this super gadget - back up your photos on the go. It works extremely well and |I am pleased. I shall take it on holiday in future!