on 11 February 2011
Having enjoyed the first book, I wanted to read more about Detective Jackson and Kera. This one is also very enjoyable. There is also a twist in this one. Enjoy! I would recommend reading no. 1 first. I have now finished number 4 and they are all very enjoyable. I can't wait for the next one.
on 7 January 2012
Firstly, for anybody new to Sellers, a reader should definately try and read the Detective Jackson series in order.
This is the second of the series and would have found it as enjoyable if I hadnt read "The Sex Club" first.
Again this is a really enjoyable book which deals with real life moral issues as well as being an excellent crime novel.
Sellers gives the reader more of an insight into the main characters and the relationship between Jackson and his daughter as well as Jackson and his new girlfriend are well written.
Unlike the first book, the killer is identified reasonably early but that doesnt in any way ditract from the enjoyment.
I look forward to book 3.
on 10 August 2015
This feels like a second novel. A very good first novel had to be followed up. The themes of sexual intolerance are there though the attitudes to homosexuality seem quaint in modern Britain.
It says its a mystery - it isn't. The story is told from the point of view of everybody - the victims , the villains , the reporter ( who is forgotten after her usefulness to the plot expires ) and the detective ,of course. So there is no mystery . You know who the bad guy is and what he intends. You know it will be a race against time as the hero comes to the rescue. Many times the plot is extended by what come across as plot extenders and mis-directions - meant to increase tension but happen too often.
The first few chapters are a bit clunky but it picks up pace to a predictable end ( though there is one surprise which I wasn't expecting and won't spoil.
An average novel and quite readable
on 13 August 2013
I have not read anything else by this author and got this book free or very cheap. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it!! While I did find some of the homophobic preaching a bit OTT, I really enjoyed the characters-well described and sympathetic for the most part. We could have done with a bit more detail about the lower ranking police personnel and also the Boss Lady.
The synopsis is a good one and gives a clear description of the story. A young and responsible girl who happens to be a lesbian is murdered, and linked by the police and a go-gettem (bisexual) reporter to two rapes on lesbians. She is killed while trying to visit one of the children in a programme for at-risk children -she is a volunteer with this programme to help overworked social workers keep up with vulnerable children.
Her lover is the object of desire of a schizophrenic lad whose homophobic father happens to be his parole officer. She is kidnapped by him and this is another thread in the story - will she be rescued? Who will find her?
I didn't totally understand the necessity of the last part of the book where the wife of a suspect has committed a totally unrelated crime. This part was not germane to the book and did not need to be in there.
We also do not find out any more about where Wade Jackson, the main policeman in the story, is going to get in his love life. I suppose that will be in the book after this? Can anyone tell me if it is worth buying that book (which one?) to find out please?
Overall a good read and I will buy (have just bought!) more by this author. I'm starting with the first in the series.
on 18 February 2012
Can I just add my voice to the others that say read the first story before this one and dont be put off by the title (Sex Club) I know it sounds dodgey but it isnt.
Anyway on with the review of this one. Once more a very enjoyable read at an excellent price, dont think cheap = rubbish in this case it doesnt. The story is again a police procedural tale and again the charcters are all too human, they follow false leads, arrest the wrong person, miss clues etc. and the series is all the better for having real characters in it.
I cant wait for the next book in the series and am downloading it after this review.
Go on treat yourself or you will never find out what secrets there are to die for.
on 14 January 2014
I have had some excruciatingly bad cheap and cheerful books from kindle ‘cheaper’ shelves – written by non-native speakers – un-edited – and just plain story free…
Ms. Sellers and Det. Jackson offer something completely different – electronic books SHOULD be considerably cheaper than their printed couterparts – for screamingly obvious reasons – but they do not need to be INFERIOR in terms of content – welcome to electronic books the way they should be !
If you love ‘whodunnits’ – are a regular reader of authors such as Deaver, Cornwell, Reichs, Nesbo, etc etc etc – then you’re going to like this.
Not perfect – could still do with an edit – but what IS these days ??? After two stories I went and got a chronological list of titles and I’m working my way through – great stuff and a very happy find!
on 25 June 2014
This is the third, or is it the fourth? book by L J Sellers that I have read. First came across her by accident and am now back tracking and reading the novels in the sequence they were published. Like her other works, great plotting, convincing dialogue, fast moving pace, poses some excellent questions about younger people and how they are growing up in a changing world - and a plot twist at the end.

Never seen her books in a UK bookshop, thanks to Amazon for making them available. If you like well plotted police procedurals/detective plots then do try this series.
on 13 December 2014
Book 2 in the Detective Jackson series. Excellent Thriller every bit as gripping and enjoyable as book 1. These are police procedural mixed with psychological thriller. A big thanks to the author for being brave enough to write novels without feeling sex scenes are needed. I like the way the characters develop slowly and are very real life. Jackson doesn't get it right straight away and the suspense builds right to the end where the readers are again surprised with an unexpected twist. I also like the timelines. I am now downloading book 3 :)
on 24 March 2013
I have read all the LJ Sellers Series and wasnt let down by any of the stories. You need to read the series to keep in the flow I have read some comments complaining that nobody has indicated in which order to read them to get the best from the books. I did a little research and was able to email the author who confirmed this order.
Sex Club, Secrets to Die For, Thrilled to Death, Passions of the Dead, Dying for Justice, Liars Cheats & Thieves, and finally Rules of Crime.
on 12 June 2016
This is the second LJ Sellers I have read and she is a wonderful author. The story opens with a murder that on the surface looks like an open and shut case. It soon becomes clear that there is more to the case than Detective Jackson had imagined. The story twists and turns right to the end and it is far from predictable. It is great to read an author who knows what they are doing and is able to bring a really good ending to the novel that leaves a reader satisfied