5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracker
Published on 11 Mar. 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars The Sex Club
As other reviews already state, don't be misled by the title.

It's an okay thriller, but not exactly a page turner and it's not terribly well written, but alright for a freebie if you have nothing else to read.

I wouldn't recommend to a friend.
Published 16 months ago by Betty Boop

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracker, 11 Mar. 2011
This is certainly not my usual type of book - I usually read Penny Vincenzi and like something like Jackie Collins whilst on holiday! The title of the book (if I'm honest) made me read the book description and when I read it I thought 'I don't think so...' as it is not the type of thing I usually read. However, the price being so low I thought 'why not' Well, what a fantastic way to have spent my 71p.

The book was all action from the first page (I have since learned that all of her books are) and there are not too many characters so it is really easy to get into this book. The book developed in a way I would not have expected so that was good as the ending was not as predicted.

The relationship between the main character is easy and uncomplicated and realistic which was pleasing.

I have a Kindle with a lighted cover which meant that I stayed up way too late reading this book as I couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Engrossing Read, 9 Nov. 2010
I love mysteries. I usually return to old favorites like Agatha Christie and Rex Stout because I haven't found anyone to replace them. L.J. Sellers' characters don't have Poirot and Miss Marples endearing foibles, nor do they have the quirky relationship between those two eccentrics, Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.

What they have is a dynamic story behind them to make them believable and sympathetic. Detective Jackson is no supercop. He's a guy who knows police work and how to investigate a murder. He could be any homicide detective on any police force in the country who follows the trail from point alpha to point omega. For that alone, I was glad to ride along with him.

Sellers' style is clean and straightforward and leads you quickly from one page to another. Maybe too quickly. The Kindle Edition is over 5K locations and I felt like I whizzed through the story.

There is more than one mystery here, but Sellers never over-complicates the story or takes it in too many directions at once. I found the ending very satisfying, although I have to wonder what "God's Messenger" will be up to in the future.

I've already downloaded the next Detective Jackson mystery and look forward to starting it tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sex Club, 10 Jan. 2011
Dont start reading this book when you have things to do. Once you start reading you cannot put it down. It is not my usual choice of book but after reading other reviews I thought i would give it a try. I am now going to download other books by this author, especially the Detective Jackson Mysteries. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!!!!!, 14 Jan. 2011
I love Crime/Detective books, and this one seemed interesting.
As soon as I started reading I couldn't stop, (read on the Kindle), I took it on the bus on the way to work and until late hours at night.
I thought I knew who did the murders but boy was I surprised, the plot was interesting, the characters were well developed, it was just a good read!
Now I have only ever read 1 author where I wanted to read the rest of her books but now I have a second :) just purchased the second Detective Jackson Mysteries book :D Now I need to start reading it :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good short detective story, 11 Feb. 2012
K. Booth (Manchester) - See all my reviews
As a fan of a lot of crime fiction I was instantly drawn in with the summary for this piece and once I started reading it didn't disappoint.

The characters are believable, the plot well constructed and the pace was consistent throughout. Some really good dramatic scenes and interesting twists.

The only thing I didn't like was the personal relationship that developed between the two protagonists; it didn't add to the story a great deal, but then again I've only read this book in the series so don't know as much about the detective's own personal background as some of the other reviewers might.

Regardless, this is a short, interesting work with plenty to keep you gripped and deals with the sensitive subject matter in a mature and objective way. It neither condones or condemns the actions of the religious fanatic or the young girls which I thought was vital to keeping this piece on track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Let The Title Put You Off, 25 Oct. 2010
Firstly this is not my usual type of read i am strictly a fantasy girl and rarely read anything based in the real world, but following a recommendation on the Kindle discussion board i thought "why not".

What a thoroughly good read, the story was smart and handled a dificult issue really well. The author has not presumed to have an answer to this dilema but instead explores what can happen when belief is unconditional from both sides of the debate and the knock on effect this can have. There is some rather extreme and graphic conversation between children that some people may find rather uncomfortable but, within the context of the story it is necessary and has been handled in a completely non gratuitous way (apologies for the terrible spelling) it is what it is and opens a whole new twist to the story line.

I really enjoyed the book and will be ordering others in the series. The title is a bit "in your face" but i assure you once you've read the book all becomes clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent gripping read, 14 Jan. 2012
i'm not sure i agree with some reviews that the plot is easy to work out.

This book is excellent. It is well written with a few twists throughout. I found myself eager to pick up my kindle at every opportunity and easy lost track of time whilst my head was buried in it.

i'll certainly be checking out the other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Story!, 30 April 2011
A believable mystery and one which will open the eyes of many parents. It was not as suspenseful perhaps as Her Last Letter because in this case you knew the perpetrators of the crimes, but L J Sellers still managed to keep me on the edge of my seat not knowing who would be killed next.

Detective Jackson with his troubled home life is a very likeable character and one you want to know more about. Kera, the nurse at the birth-control clinic is another character who is easy to relate to. The issue of the rights or wrongs of having this type of clinic available is explored from both angles, but in the end you have to decided as a read where you stand.

A great first book in what proposes to be an engrossing series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good read, 15 Nov. 2010
I really enjoyed this book, I found the characters well developed and all the different storylines and angles certainly kept me guessing "whodunit" until near the end. I think that the author writes really well and what I really liked was that although the story and characters are set in Oregon, America and everything felt, well, American, it wasn't overly so - sometimes when I read books by american authors I feel like I'm missing half the story 'cos I don't understand all the "in-jokes" and banter.

The story revolves around quite a sensitive subject which I think is handled really well - you get the picture but there is nothing too graphic and the author did not try to push me in any particular direction, instead letting me make up my own mind.

Why did I not give it 5 stars?
1) I find it a little hard to believe in this day and age that so many minors can be taken out of class and questioned by a single police officer not only without their parents present but also without their parents knowledge or consent? One of the minors was actually taken away from the school by Det. Jackson to search for another one and no-one at the school was informed!
2) The evidence found at the very end. Can't go into details without a spoiler but I find it hard to believe that it would have been found intact.

Other than that it was a really good read and I will be looking out for and purchasing further books by this author

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 18 Dec. 2011
This is the first time I have read a mystery/thriller I am a SF / Fantasy guy.... I enjoyed this book very much and will probably read the rest of the series...

Having a kindle has opened my eyes to a lot of new authors..