1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - Gets you up the WMI learning curve FAST !, 22 Sep 2005
William C. Dickinson (Salisbury, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I very much enjoyed the style of this book which delivers exactly what it claims ... a good understanding of WMI and how to write robust scripts for it.
I am old hand at NT Command-Line scripting, VBscript and WSH but relatively new to WMI. The pragmatic and thorough building-block approach to the subject in Alain's book brought me up what was proving to be a rather steep learning curve with other books.
In my experience with both Microsoft and third-party books it EXTREMELY difficult for an experienced author to develop a practical presentation approach when the book is intended to be part tutorial and part reference. It's "the devil or the deep blue sea" sort of problem. Either you end up with a book pitched to the novice that bores readers with a modicum of experience to tears or you pitch it at black-belt guru's and blind the novices with science ... nobody wins least of all the author.
I think Alain has the mix spot-on. The only complaint, if you could call it that, is there is no eBook. I find these very handy. An electronic free-text search for topics of interest is invaluable when you reach the "Where's my reference book Dude ?" stage. We all get to this point after reading a book with a tutorial thread a couple of times. What I want at that point is Reference Book with easy to find code samples - this task is rather difficult with hard-copy unless there is an an index thicker than the book.
Alain has done the next best thing however - he has made all of the code samples in the book available as a download from his web site. Best of all he gave the files sensible names so I can find things by file name most of the time. When this fails I have been able to find what I need by searching the text of the files. All this via the standard Windows Explorer file & folder search engine. Make sure you turn on the Indexing Service and add the folder to the
A great book that will get you up the WMI learning curve very quickly. If you want more meat on the bone buy Alain's second book - it is targeted at the more advanced user and tackles some very heavy tasks with aplomb.