4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable.
Right off the bat, I will tell you what cost this book a star: the protagonist is a forensic anthropologist (my major), but I didn't see her conduct any actual osteologic investigations during this story. It was her profession that caused me to pick up this book; I like well-written forensic anthro fiction.

So, there's that. All the same, this is a tightly...
Published 16 months ago by finalguy

3.0 out of 5 stars History of the 'Stone Maidens' is the best part of the book.
Stone Maidens is OK. Can't say I particularly enjoyed reading the novel. Some parts were good and some parts I disliked.

Published 17 months ago by JK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars History of the 'Stone Maidens' is the best part of the book., 10 Feb 2013
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I think my dislike stems from two areas. Firstly; if you're a veteran of Patricia Cornwell or Kathy Reichs, and their forensic heroines Scarpetta and Brennan, you'll find Christine Prusik a poor immitation. Secondly; the plot's written to the same formula both Cornwell and Reichs have been using for many years. OK; Lloyd Devereux Richards has added his own unique twists and turns but; if you're a seasoned crime thriller reader I doubt you won't see through the plot and guess exactly 'who dunnit' before the closing chapters. That's why I'm not going to go into too much detail.

What did I like? The historical elements of the novel. The history/mystery of the Stone Maidens was well thought out and intriguing. Should have been much more of that.

The main selling point for this author is his experience within the American legal system "...he clerked for an Indiana court of appeals judge, researching and writing drafts for dozens of published opinions, including a serial killer's death-row appeal..". He does add an air of authenticity to the police/forensic detail unforunately; it's written without any pace and is more like reading a factual/journalistic report than a fictional work. We need some tension, darkness and definitely some 'scary/creepy' elements in our crime fiction. They're few and far between in Stone Maidens.

I'd also add that the hugely strong American bias, especially the dialogue, doesn't always work for the UK market. I'm surprised the book hasn't had an edit. Phrases/descriptions such as "purdy girl" or "tatooed carny" don't necessarily work for us in a written format.

Not without promise but needs to escape the crime/thriller 'formula' and find his own style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable., 27 Feb 2013
finalguy (Newport (Wales)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Maidens (Kindle Edition)

So, there's that. All the same, this is a tightly conducted murder mystery. FBI Special Agent Christine Prusik is the SAC (special agent in charge) of an investigation into a series of murders in southern Indiana. Her antagonist is not so much the murderer as it is a subordinate member of her staff: a man for whom reporting to a woman rankles so much that he tries to subvert her at every turn. As more and more young women go missing, each of them turning up with a significant clue upon autopsy, we see both the anti-Prusik attitude and Prusik's anxiety about the case ratchet up.

It's a good whodunnit, although I began to suspect how it would come out about halfway into the book. I blame this on having read many mysteries over the course of my life; it's pretty difficult to get one past me. That said, I really think that the author made his protagonist a forensic anthropologist to try to take advantage of what people in the field have referred to for years as the "CSI effect." He could just as easily have given her a different discipline and would have made no difference to the story given the lack of forensic anthro contained therein.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky or What?, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stone Maidens (Paperback)
This is a first novel for Richards and is, I hope, a forerunner of many to come. He writes in a sharp and interesting manner and his heroine is believable and feisty. The subject matter, murders of young girls, has been done many times before but the build-up to the solving on the crimes is done in such a way as to appear fresh to the reader. If you like well-written crime books then Stone Maidens is for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stone maidens, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Stone Maidens (Kindle Edition)
Great twisting story line that kept you guessing all the time. Twist at the end was unexpected. A good read

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Stone Maidens (Kindle Edition)
.Nothing to dislike, and a pleasant enough book. Certainly not a must have but quite enjoyable. Best described as easy reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Seen it all before, 9 April 2013
Amazon Customer "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
... just better executed

The story of a troubled female that battles a chauvinist boss to solve mysterious murders has been done before and the parallel story seen from the killer's point of view is not new either - the fact that she is a forensic anthropologist should be good, but has been done much better as well.

Normally I would like a story that combined all of the above if only there was something new and interesting in there and if only the writing was a bit more exciting and the main character a bit more likeable and less prone to blushing when her neanderthal boss was in the vicinity.

Not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars New author to me, 12 Dec 2012
Owl "Ollie" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this book and the characters. It was an excciting book from start to finish and it kept you wondering what was going to happen next. I had never read anything from this author but would do so again. If you like a thriller or a mystery then this is a book you should consider. Loved every part of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It says "THRILLER" on the cover and THRILLER it is., 3 Feb 2013
M. A. Ashley-brown (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Maidens (Paperback)
I took this book on holiday thinking that I would read it at a leisurely pace over a week. I finished it in two days. I made excuses to leave dinner early so that I could keep reading it. I got up an hour earlier than necessary to keep reading it .Any excuse to continue the developing story. The heroine of the book may pop prescription drugs like I eat Maltesers but the book itself is a drug. It twists and turns. It treats you as an adult with a brain in your head and brings itself to an unexpected and exciting conclusion. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Original Take on Serial Killers, 16 Jan 2014
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another in a long list of serial killer novels. This very readable book approaches such a tale from a completely new direction: the south-west.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 10 Nov 2013
xenofan "xenofan" (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great story! The ending really did catch me out --- it seemed a predictable conclusion and then?? Not what I expected. The plot unfolds quickly and keeps the reader interested and turning those pages till a surprising end. A recommended read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›