4.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling Soccer
Roy Race makes Messi look like a chump... and he has better hair than Cristiano Ronaldo! Blackie Gray, Duncan McKay, Charlie 'The Cat' Carter - jumpers for goalposts, what! And Penny Race, the original WAG (and still the best).

Published 17 months ago by Ben Rochey-Adams

2.0 out of 5 stars not for the fire
Ahh the memories of Roy Race etc. Unfortunately on the kindle the writing is too small. A shame really I wanted to relive my youth just once more, not to be oh well!
Published 9 months ago by JimmyG

4.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling Soccer, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Roy of the Rovers Volume 1: 26 (Roy of the Rovers Comics) (Kindle Edition)

My only gripe is that the navigation through the fomic when viewed on a smartphone is clunky and it's easy to move too far forward or backward accidentally. There are comic book apps from the likes of DC Comics and Marvel that have already overcome this problem, with each panel sliding in to replace the last and zooming in and out for a more dynamic reader experience, so it would be great way to view a Racey Rocket!

4.0 out of 5 stars Those Were The Days, 3 Aug 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Many of us grew up to a certain extent with 'Roy of the Rovers' so this is a good piece of nostalgia. With a new season opening a supermarket have put up a prize for the first player to score fifty goals in the season. With Roy as usual on scoring form some think that perhaps he is being selfish and may go for the prize to the detriment of Melchester Rovers. But surely Roy isn't like that?

This is the first volume and as you will quickly notice this has been scanned from the original tale in the comic, as it appeared, week by week. Like the other reviewer has noted there is a problem with this if your eyesight is deteriorating a bit. I personally have read this on my i-Pad and the print for me is clear enough but unlike with other comics, if I double tap I just get a zoom on the whole page, rather than just a panel. This means that you have to keep moving the page about and the writing is a bit blurred.

For a lot of people like me there will be no need to adjust anything, but alas for some this may prove to be a problem. Also you should be aware that the quality of the frames does alter slightly throughout the story, due to the sources used. In all this is great for us looking for some nostalgia, and could well induce younger people to become Roy fans, but this does have its limitations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trip back in time, 8 Jan 2014
Great format with just the Roy of the Rovers stories. Takes me back to coming home from holiday and catching up on several weeks of comics. Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 Jan 2014
Takes me back to my boyhood days. I want to read more and more. I forgot it was so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Dec 2013
Took me back to my childhood this! I was back there in my head on the pitch with Roy, scoring goals with him

5.0 out of 5 stars Roy the magnificent showman, 8 Nov 2013
I almost Forgot the great storyline of how the beautiful game used to be played but this took me back to my boyhood when things were a lot simple, the old fashion values shown by Roy and the team should be adopted by today's players where money and players agents did not change the game into a business. But hey ho everything changes in time but not all for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars School day memories, 29 Sep 2013
I used to read these when I was younger better then match of the day great stories and art work will be downloading more copies

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Blast From The Past, 3 Sep 2013
When I was a boy I reguarly had Roy of the Rovers delivered and could never put it down. I still have some of my comics and this was brough back great memories, even better because it was free!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for football fans looking for a trip down memory lane, 17 Aug 2013
As a kid I can remember waiting excitedly every Saturday tea-time for the new issue of Roy Of The Rovers to be delivered, and dashing to the front door when I heard the sound of the letter box, so I'm not ashamed to admit I got a buzz of excitement when I discovered that Roy Race's adventures were now available for the Kindle app. Some of the dialogue is very much from an era gone by, but Roy Of The Rovers was a great comic book and reading these republished stories once again brought back a lot of happy memories.

As some reviewers have already mentioned, it doesn't feature panel by panel scrolling like some comic book apps, and I can therefore understand how it might perhaps be fiddly to read on a smaller device such as a mobile phone, but I read it on a Google Nexus 7 and on a device that size the quality of the scanned images was excellent.

Roy Of The Rovers features simple, straight forward story telling at its best and is a must for any football fans looking for a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

4.0 out of 5 stars not good on Kindle's that doesn't do colour, 7 Aug 2014
Miss Tracy Booth "Ace Trace" (Easdtleigh England) - See all my reviews
Looks great when reading it on my tablet, though you do have to read each page in quarters, if you want to read it. It's not so good on my kindle has I just have a touch kindle & that only does black and white.