Take Me Home is a gentle tale written with enough complexity and good characterisation to keep the reader hooked. I wouldn't categorise the novel under 'romance'. I found Take Me Home to be deeper and more interesting than the usual chick lit. hiding in the romance section.

Published on 11 Feb. 2013 by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars Small town romance...
Small town romance with horses. That's what I thought I was getting. I didn't get that.

It's book one of The Whisper Horse series so I expected a Whisper Horse to be pretty prominent in the story. Again, wrong.

There is a horse, and Claire does actually whisper to it two or three times but blink and you might miss it.

The cover is a bit...
Published 19 months ago by Stella

3.0 out of 5 stars Small town romance..., 27 Oct. 2013
Stella (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The cover is a bit misleading, actually. It looks like a cosy romance but it actually covers some dark territory. Spousal abuse, suicide, divorce...animal mistreatment, it's got a lot going on. All the elements together have the potential for a good read but it just didn't 'do it' for me. The sex scenes seem a bit heavy too. Not in general, just in context of the story.

The first chapter left me with a bit of a lump in my throat for the poor horse (Wilow) but Willow the Whisper Horse just seems to be in there as a vehicle for Claire to meet (and fall into insta-lust) with Dr Tim the local vet and luckily he insta-lusts right back at her.

The side stories are what kept it interesting for me but even those were mostly glossed over, once mentioned. Claire's sister Holly is having marriage trouble and her story took up a big chunk of plot but her side story wasn't explored as much as it could have been. Paul, Claire's guy pal from her youth just pops in every few chapters to make it seem like there might be a triangle thing going on but his part in the proceedings were pretty weak. Sharon, the stable owner of the 'Whisper Horse' gets even less page time. It all just seems like they're in there as a conveyance for Claire and Dr Tim to meet up, get together, have sex, fall out a bit, make up, have sex....

I probably won't bother with the rest of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional turmoil, horse whispering and a love story - great!, 11 Feb. 2013
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The novel follows the lives of Tim and Claire who both decide, after graduation, to move away from home, Sanctuary, and live and work in New York. Both suffer heartbreak and a failed relationship but; their heartbreak is just the start of a long, difficult journey.

Tim returns to Sanctuary to work as a vet and it's here Nancy Herkness has been clever. Tim's profession is used to introduce a unique sub-plot in the form of a sick horse called Willow. Willow is possibly the most important character in the book because the other characters are drawn towards the horse. Their love for Willow is pivotal in what will, or won't, happen in the future. Willow 'listens' and through her patience many important decisions are made. Personally I thought the whole 'horse whispering' element of Take Me Home rescued the novel and gave another depth to the plot most basic 'romances' don't have.

I'm not going to tell you anymore about the plot. I'll just add; Tim has a dark secret to reveal through the course of the story and it could threaten everything.

An enjoyable, light, read which is both interesting and unusual.

3.0 out of 5 stars I dislike steamy sex scenes and certain words, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Take Me Home (A Whisper Horse Novel) (Kindle Edition)
We - the readers - are all individuals and we come to each book with our own likes and dislikes. I dislike steamy sex scenes and certain words, others want steamy sex scenes and each author does what they like. I liked the concept of Whisper Horses, but felt this was only a minor part of the story, the steamy sex scenes playing a major part. I would have liked more of one and considerably less of the other, but that's just me!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Enough Escape, 17 Oct. 2013
Book Gannet (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Two hurt people come together in this romantic tale with caring and trust at its heart. Claire has worked hard all her life to escape her hometown of Sanctuary, but after a painful divorce she returns home to care for her sick sister. Claire's hoping to repair the rift between Holly and herself, but after three weeks it seems they're more apart than ever.

Then she meets Willow, a battered and abused ex-racehorse just crying out to be taken care of. And then there's Willow's vet, the strong, protective Dr Tim. Suddenly Sanctuary doesn't seem so bad - and might just live up to its name.

This is a enjoyable read - Claire is fairly sympathetic and Tim is heroic without being domineering. The way he helps Claire deal with Holly's problems is wonderful, even if he is incapable of dealing with his own.

I'll admit the heat of the sex scenes did surprise me a bit - and there are a lot of them, so if closed-door, gentle romance is more your thing, then this probably isn't for you. Personally it didn't bother me, except that the escalation in Claire and Tim's relationship seemed too fast for two apparently cautious people.

The rest of the story rolls along fairly easily, but I didn't feel the emotional intensity that the back cover promised. This is not like a Nicholas Sparks' novel - but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Instead it's a heated romance between two naturally caring people who are struggling to find their emotional feet again. It's not a tear-jerker, and I don't think it's a keeper, but it was an enjoyable escape for a couple of evenings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Take Me Home (A Whisper Horse Novel) (Kindle Edition)
A superb story line really gritty the characters are great very much believable I could not put this book down recommend this book to any person who likes a great read

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Take Me Home (A Whisper Horse Novel) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, an enjoyable romance with a few stories running together which worked. From someone who has her own 'whisper horse' to read the poignant and accurate description of that first moment you meet will stay with me forever, a definite keeper in my standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticked all my boxes., 10 Oct. 2013
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Claire Parker has returned to her home town of Sanctuary after a painful divorce and to figure out where she goes from here .

Her sister Holly is also going through hell with an abusive husband, who tried his hardest to keep the two sisters apart, but Claire is determined to help and heal that rift.

Claire is introduced to Willow, an abused racehorse who is also going through a healing process. Willow becomes Claire`s `whisper horse`, Claire nurtures Willow back to health and doesn`t realize Willow is doing the same for her.

Tim Arbuckle is the local vet, also helping in the healing process of both of them, but Tim has a secret from his past which is stopping him from healing himself. Slowly Claire`s feelings for Tim grow but it doesn`t pan out the way she thought , and she wants to run from Sanctuary.

Willow has a setback which keeps Claire in town and threatens all their futures.

A lovely story, really enjoyed this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Take me home, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Take Me Home (A Whisper Horse Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Take me home. I thought that the book was absolute rubbish.

The storyline was stupid and the characters just really got on my nerves.

2.0 out of 5 stars if you like lots of graphic sex it has that a plenty, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Take Me Home (A Whisper Horse Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Not really my kind of book, if you like lots of graphic sex it has that a plenty! Have deleted it from my Kindle as not worth my reading time.

1.0 out of 5 stars He has the most wonderful temperament, brains (Harvard at age 15, 16 Dec. 2014
Pat (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Take Me Home (A Whisper Horse Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Sorry, but the story line is fit only for an adolescent girly magazine. The hero is a huge man with the looks and physique of a Greek god. He has the most wonderful temperament, brains (Harvard at age 15 ! ), pots of money and an apparently endless supply of condoms !
If you dont care about the story and just want wanton sex then this might be for you.
If you want an intelligent story forget it !

Take Me Home (A Whisper Horse Novel)