4.0 out of 5 stars A bit expensive but works flawlessly

I have a Canon MP640 printer which used to do lovely prints

Published 12 months ago by davidm

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit expensive but works flawlessly, 2 Oct. 2013
A. Rehman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Print Head Cleaning Kit for Canon Printers - 100ml (Office Product)
I have not given this product a perfect rating for the reason that it is quite expensive considering the kit is generally made up of off-the-shelf parts. Secondly, the Solution is definitely not enough to clean "30" Print Heads unless you use a couple of drops each time. But from my experience, you will need more than a Syringe or two to get a good thorough clean. So in the end, the kit does it's job well but doesn't last beyond say 3 cleans.

Yes, the seller does offer a £10 refund if it doesn't work, but honestly, I'm giving the actual product a rating and not his service.

Right, so the most important thing in this kit is not the Print Head Solution itself (as it's just a glorified bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol), but the Green round syringe pieces that fit directly on to the Print Head nozzles (see Product Image).

There is actually a specific way to efficiently clean Print Head nozzles. This method is also used in a couple of Third party industrial machines that are designed to flush ink cartridges for refilling later. This kit allows you to use the same flushing method on your Print Head, but sadly it's not emphasised in the instruction manual with which the kit comes with. For most people, the usual method of just using the Solution is sufficient, but I have found better results in using, what I call, the "Flush" or "Pressure Spray Method"

To achieve this, two things must be done to the Print Head nozzles;

1. They need to be rinsed in clean water, and then soaked in the Print Head Solution for at least one hour.
2. The Print Head Nozzles need to be PRESSURE SPRAYED with water to eliminate any internal blocking of clogged ink particles.

I will now take you through a proper step-by-step process to flush your Print Head (PH). This will GUARANTEE you a brand spanking new PH.

Note: If it doesn't work, it means your PH is just electronically damaged and needs replacing. If you're using a refillable ink kit like me, then it means your cartridges are over filled, or that your ink is cheap quality and unfit for use.

SEQUENCE 1 (A) - RECOMMENDED

Remove your PH and securely place the round rubber Nozzle seals in a paper towel, so that they don't fall off and get lost during the cleaning process. If you want, take a picture of the PH with your smart phone so that you know which position to put them back in.

SEQUENCE 1 (B) - OBLIGATORY

1. Take your PH to the sink. Open the tap on a low-medium setting, and rinse the PH for around 5 minutes until nothing but clear water drops off the nozzles. Just to be on the safe side, hold the PH in such a way so that the electronic part doesn't fall under the running water. Make sure no visible ink is left. After 5 minutes of rinsing, it should look clean.
2. Put the PH in a little flat container (Preferably 6-10" diameter)
3. Heat the PH Solution or Isopropyl Alcohol (99%). Fill the Syringe with it. Spray it all over the PH nozzles, making sure the solution goes in to the actual nozzles and comes out of the bottom nozzles. You should start to see more ink come out from underneath. If not, recycle the sprayed Solution and keep injecting it all over the nozzles. Now turn the PH upside down, and spray the Solution into the vertical exit holes too.
4. Leave the PH soaking inside the solution for around 1 hour. Don't tilt the container to one side. The nozzles need to be soaked in the actual PH solution.
5. After 1 hour, quickly re-rinse the PH under the tap. Shouldn't take more than a minute.

SEQUENCE 2 (A) - OBLIGATORY!!

1. Clean and re-install the round rubber seals on the PH.
2. Fill the Syringe with hot but not boiling water. Attach the Green round piece on to the end of the Syringe. Place the Syringe + Green piece on to a nozzle. With the PH in your hands raised above your sink, hold the Green piece down firmly. Make sure it's flat and totally covering the nozzle. Now squeeze the Syringe with PRESSURE so that all of the hot water sprays through the Nozzle and comes out of the other end like a jet stream. This is one of the most important steps in the whole cleaning process!
3. Do this successfully and you will see an equally distributed jet stream come out of the exit end of the bottom nozzle. Make sure the jet stream is equally distributed otherwise you have a blocked hole and you must repeat Sequence 1B.
4. Pressure spray each Nozzle 3 times until you think they are totally unblocked from the inside.
5. Dry it. Place it on a new set of clean paper towels.

SEQUENCE 2 (B) - RECOMMENDED

Fill the Syringe with more Solution, but this time, instead of spraying it all over the nozzles...you need to inject the Solution drop-by-drop in to the round Nozzle holes. Do not make a mess. Do it in such a way that you start to see the towel get wet from the bottom. This way, you'll know the Solution is cleaning and flowing through the internal ink passages of the Nozzles.

Let the PH sit overnight until it's fully dry. No need for any more water. The Solution will just dry over night.

TIPS: (i) Do not scrub, rub, or wash the electronic part of the PH (ii) Do not scrub, rub or even touch the round PH nozzles. You may damage the tiny pours. You're only supposed to let water and the Solution seep in to them. (iii) Allow PH to dry completely before placing back in to the Printer.

3.0 out of 5 stars didnt work for me but helpful advice and was worth a try, 12 Jan. 2014
I have a Canon MP640 printer which used to do lovely prints

used the kit (purchased through Amazon) in accordance with the instruction contained in the kit, a total of 3 times and then also the 'trouble shooting' method over 2 days at 12hour intervals. The supplier provided advice on heating the cleaning fluid and has agreed to refund £10 which will go towards a new print head. I have scored 3 star because of the companys fast delivery and offer to refund. Although it didnt work for my printer it was worth a go compared with immediately buying a new printhead at £65 plus.

so be aware-wont always work - but based on reviews here it seemed worth a try

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a cleaning kit., 14 Feb. 2014
I bought this to try and solve a 'my Canon printer has stopped printing in black ' issue. It certainly removed ink from the print head, and after doing this, the other colours continued to work fine, but there was no sign of any black. I guess the issue I have lies elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb service, 12 Feb. 2014
I had a Canon printer which was completely non-functional. As a last resort before replacing it, I tried to clean the printhead.

Unfortunately, even a thorough overnight clean had no effect.

However, the support I got from Printhead Hospital was second to none - they contacted me a few days after the product was delivered to check on my success. When I reported the situation, I got a £10 refund instantly.

The rating I have given for this product is on the basis of this after-sales service - it really is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a try instead of a new expensive printer, 5 Oct. 2013
Ken Fowler (Leeds uk) - See all my reviews
My canon MP610 all in one photo printer, which I have had for some time and does everything I need to a good quality, but obviously didn't use enought to keep the heads in good condition blocked up on all the clours. No amount of deep cleaning made any difference. I was perusing the costs of replacement all in one printers and found an equivalent machine would be £150plus. Of particular annoyance was I had a lot of spare cartridges in the drawer from a recent bulk deal which would also be wasted.

I then came across this product and thought it worth a try, partcularly with the money back gaurantee refund of £10 if it doesn't work.

It took 3 attempts following the instructions, each time leaving it longer to soak when suddely it all worked perfectly after the 3rd cleaning session. It is a little messy to do and you need to make sure you work in bowl or similar to contain the expelled cleaning product, but worth the try.

I now have a fully operational printer again and I will ensure I do a print at least weekly to keep the heads clear in the future.

Personal service was excellant with even a follow up e-mail inquiring if the product had done the job, or if I wanted the refund.

My only suggestion for future improvement of the kit would be to supply more blotting paper as there is enough cleaner left to do this again in the future, but the paper is all used up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent customer service, 18 Jan. 2015
R. B. Reid (London) - See all my reviews
Given 5 stars more so because of excellent customer service. I have been experiencing a B2000 error message on my Canon MP550 printer. I had read that cleaning the print head could resolve the problem. I bought the print head kit and after following the instructions, it certainly seemed to clean the print head. I reinserted the print head but unfortunately the error message did not clear. I contacted Printhead Hospital by email and they agreed to provide a refund even though it states that the solution will not clear error messages. I am very pleased with the service, although it seems as though the printer is no more...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good though didn't work; trustable seller, 3 Oct. 2014
It didn't fix my Canon MP640 printhead issue, though not because the product didn't work properly but more because of the printhead problem. The kit contains all as described, decent quality materials, very good clear instructions on how to use it and what to do. The adapters could fit slightly better to the nozzles but they do their job.

To note the great and quick response from seller, and refund already made to my account as described if product didn't work. 5* to them.

Thumbs down to Canon and all printer manufacturers for this programmed obsolescense and the stupid prices of replacements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Printer head cleaner, 4 Aug. 2012
To start with I thought I had wasted my money, but I persisted with the cleaning instructions and gave it more time to work.
Success!
A very good product.Also I was offered my money back when I complained after my first attempt to clean the printer, but. I gave it one more try and it worked.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me but excellent customer service, 18 Dec. 2013
Dabbler (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have a Canon MG6250 which was showing signs of a blocked nozzle, after going through the printer's various cleaning programmes it was obvious that something more targeted and aggressive was called for.

I followed the instructions to the letter and Andrew from the Printhead Hospital also suggested blasting 5ml at pressure through the troubled magenta nozzle. Unfortunately neither worked, the £10 was refunded promptly, now I have to buy a new print head.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some you win, some you lose., 24 Jan. 2015
Sadly this failed to work on my Canon mg5350.
Physically it worked, it cleared the head and I obtained good spray patterns, but even fitting new ink (after cleaning the printhead) I got nothing but blankety blank pages. Odd, as I was getting something on the paper at least prior to using the cleaner. No errors were being flashed up on the printer either!
Refunded to the tune of ten beer tokens once I had informed the seller.

Print Head Cleaning Kit for Canon Printers - 100ml